Who is the oldest active steel player you know ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Thanks Jerry for remembering. Also thank you Paul ad Herb. FWIW: I will be 78 if I can last 'til August 10th. :)
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

I'm really glad to see all the posts on this subject. I appreciate all theses guys for helping steel guitar gain popularity through the years. I'm confident they practiced , studied , and played a bunch before most of the teachers and teaching aids of our day came along. Thanks again guys and gals. :)
Skip
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

John Hughey and Buck Grantham are getting up in their 70's and look what a GREAT job they do!!!!!!!!!!! I think you would call them VERY ACTIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Donna
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I visited with Buck Grantham yesterday, and he told me he'll be 79 on his next birthday which is not too far away. What a player he is....and he lives in the same town I do....boy am I lucky! ! ! ! HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Lavelle Pierce

ages

Post by Lavelle Pierce »

Jack Francis wrote:Fred Justice is somewhere around 94 I think. :shock:
jack fred looks like about 100 hah has a lots miles, thanks
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Smiley won't be 70 until FEB 10th :\ he's still at the magic age of 69. Actually he works out a lot and has the *body of a 68 year old. ;-) :lol: (*stolen from Lynn Owsley)
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

This is a great thread. It makes me feel so young... :D
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I want to mention my good friend Jim Harper. Beleive he's in the early 80's and still gigs 3-4 times a week. Wish I could keep up with him!! It's like he gets a breathe of fresh Oklahoma tornado, and takes off again!!

Also from OKC area our buddy Gene Jones. How many years now you been 59, Gene?? :lol: :lol:
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

My good friend Mike Young would be the oldest active steel player in our area, at 76 he's still giging every chance he gets. He played a new years gig with us when he was 75. :D :D

Larry
Carter SD/10, 4&5 Hilton Pedal, Peavey Sessions 400, Peavey Renown 400, Home Grown Eff/Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"