Who is the oldest active steel player you know ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Skip Cole

Who is the oldest active steel player you know ?

Post by Skip Cole »

I'll start by naming my good friend Eddie Rice of Memphis, TN , at 83 years. He doesn't get to play as much as he'd like, but still pickin on his Carter universal 12 string. He was asking me if i knew some senior pickers and their ages and i told him i'd ask you all. Thanks ---Skip :D
Lowell Whitney

Oldest Steel Guitar Players

Post by Lowell Whitney »

Alex Martinez, 82(at least),Lubbock, Texas, formerly from Woodward, Okla. I haven't heard him play in a few years, however, a friend who plays gigs with Alex says he still plays as good as ever.
Lowell
Carter SD10
70's Telecaster
Nashville 400/Express 112/Artist VT Bandit
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Hall of Fame member L.T. Zinn is a little older than me :lol: Still is a super player!
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jim Evans of Evans Amplifiers. 82 years young. He was playing on the Lousiana Hayride with Jimmy Day and Zane Beck in 1954!
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

Jack Matthews, Magnolia, AR. It's not that Jack is that old. I can't say for sure but I think he's around 75. But, active is the key word here. Jack loves playing more than anyone I've ever met. He suffered a stroke about a year or so ago but that hasn't slowed him down. Jack will drive 150 miles to jam somewhere when he had just played till 2:00 am the night before. Jack's been playing for well over 40 years and he has the same passion for playing that I had during my early years of learning he steel. I admire him for that.
By the way, Jack's a great player and a heck of nice guy too.

Ken
robert hays

Post by robert hays »

The legendary DON HELMS is 80 and last time I heard him he was playing great!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the great Mr Moon is about the same age I believe and he is still playing that great mooney sound! Don Helms and Ron Elliot just completed a gospel C D that will be at the ISGC.
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

I hope he doesn't mind, but my good friend "Bro" Les Swanson is 84 and plays every day. He's not out on the job anymore but he still is a great player.

Geo
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

Perhaps you could add Hank Pell to your list, I am told he is in his 90s as is Ray Montee. So I'm told...
Miss Lana
SteelRadio.com
Ray Montee

Honored to have been included with such a distinguised grp.

Post by Ray Montee »

THANKS for the 'mention' and altho' I feel that I am at least 100........(I can recall my two olde friends Lewis and Clark as we tied up the dug-out canoe along the mighty Columbia River......seems like only yesterday) but I haven't gotten there quite yet.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I hardly qulify at 77 but thats not bad, sometimes I feel like a hundred does that count. My Professional is set up in the office and play some every day, the Carter is set up in Quitman Ga. 90 miles and play there ewice a week, tues. friday nite senior dance 4 hours, 7 till 11:00, these old folk have a ball. It is worth the effort to see them have so much fun. We had picture night Friday nite think I will post them when time permits bac to work tomorrow.

ernie

Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

I was at Howard Whites 80th B'day party in Nashville last year,,I think March or April....what a nice Man !!!
Tony
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Jim Burrus at a young 82 years of age. He played a nonpedal for years and last year bought a pedal steel, a MSA Universal.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'd have to say it's my illegitimate father, Kenny Dail. I have no idea how old he is but he used to tell me stories about how he played his acoustic lap steel (electricity hadn't been invented yet) with the Indians and the rest of the Pilgrims after they'd came over on the Mayflower. Here's a shot of Kenny today....JH in Va.

PS.....I love ya Dad........
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I'm only 77 now, but I plan to eventually win this contest. My plans are to live to be 100, then be shot by a jealous husband. (Don't tell Laurie I said that.)

I talk to Ed Rice every week. He recently went through surgery and is not recovering as fast as he had hoped. Let's all send up a prayer in his behalf.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Oh yeah, Kenny Dail! How old is KD? When he went to school, "history" wasn't a subject yet! :)

Just kiddin' KD... you know I love ya!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Herby Remmington is still very active. Not sure about his age,but I think he is about 80.
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

ACTIVE steel players ??? All the steel players I know, just sit on a seat and look pretty doggoned PASSIVE to me. :lol:
btw, Mooney is 78. His birthday is in September.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Fred Justice is somewhere around 94 I think. :shock:
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Al Marcus. I don't know how old he is but he remembers when dirt was young. :wink:
Don Poland

J.L. Duncan

Post by Don Poland »

Fellow forumite Reggie Duncan's daddy (J.L. Duncan) is one fine picker. Not sure how old he is, but if you haven't heard him play, you need to contact Reggie and get a copy of his dads CD. You won't be sorry.
Keith Junot

Post by Keith Junot »

my longtime friend , Mr. Jessie Hickl down in El Campo, Texas is 89 & still playing a few nites a week on his 10 string Deckly ...
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Al Marcus did come to mind Toot Sweet when i first saw this thread
since i was'nt exactly sure what was meant by active
i laid out
Glad you did mention Al David
:D
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

David and Crowbear- Thanks for remembering me. I will be 86 on Dec 10 and still active playing and still working on a CD. I hope to never quit playing my steel guitar, 70 years and counting....al.:):)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Paul Norman

kenneth dail

Post by Paul Norman »

Jerry,
Thanks for putting Kenneth Dail's picture in.
He is a North Carolina Idol.
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Smiley Roberts 70 + mileage = 150 at least. :twisted:
Ray
Steeling is still legal in Arizona