Who is the steeler with Linda Ronstadt- 1974

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

The close-ups of the right hand on Silver Threads sure look like BE to me. Have you noticed that over the punches before the G chord the bass holds the A? It seems like every bass player in bar band history thinks he has to walk down through it. I always wondered how they all learned it wrong the same way.
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Nice clip, but I like this one even better than the record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f78bKXzALXo&mode= related&search=
Carter,PV,Fender
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Jim Peters I would bet a penney that's Danny Dugmore playing steel guitar.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Thank the stars for country-rock and Linda. I'm just glad I was alive during that time to fall in love with her along with millions of others. Looks like BE to me on that prison gig, but who cares which one of the steelers it was who was lucky enough to play with her. And all those horny male prisoners and her in that little short dress. Whoa! :shock:

If you blow your whole day and listen to all those Rhonstadt videos like I did, you will eventually run into the mind blowing remix of Linda in the '70s doing You're No Good and Amy Winehouse in '07 doing I'm No Good. :shock: :shock:
Jim West

Post by Jim West »

Steve Hinson wrote:...trust me...it's Buddy Emmons...
Yep, it sure looks like him to me.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I agee with the Emmons side. Typical of the way he holds his right hand and even the distant shots look like him.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Looks like Emmons, to me.

That's just plain ol' cruel, taking a cutie like Linda, showing that much of her legs, behind the walls of a prison.... :wink:
David Phillips

Post by David Phillips »

Billy Wilson,
I just saw your remark/crack about my wardrobe...ouch!
At least I know which way is the wrong way to wear my hat.(':roll:')
See you out there in the trenches, I'll be the one in the LOUD shirt.
Da Vid Phillips
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

Steve Hinson... I trust you and I sure miss that shirt.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Buddy, was it just one 9 volt battery to run that shirt or did it have a wall wart?
JE
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

:lol:
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Thanks,Buddy...and I had worse shirts than that...trust me...
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

It's refreshing to see Linda in shoes. When I worked for her in '68 she would perform barefoot. :)

She is a helluva singer, no lie. Got me started in the music biz as well.

And Ed Black. What a great dude he was. Miss him to this day, died WAY too young.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

I certainly don't doubt it's the Big E on the Silver threads and golden needles post, but I don't think it's him on the Jim Peters post of Blue Bayou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f78bKXzALXo&mode=

That's probably Dan Dugmore.

Phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Yup...that's Dan in the Blue Bayou clip.
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

If it isn't Dan, someone else has nailed his style. JP
Carter,PV,Fender
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Warford watched the clip again, although he said he clearly knows who was there and who wasn't, since he obviously was...and says there is no doubt at all it's Myrick on steel. I don't doubt him - a Mensa guy, with a degree in medicine and a trial lawyer. His memory for old gigs and sessions is astounding. He doesn't want to argue with anyone about it, but it is what it is.

Buddy sort of implied he was the steeler, but didn't make a definitive statement. So I'll stick with the facts as presented by the guy who played with Ronstadt regularly, and knew which gig I was talking about without even seeing the video (I didn't even know what gig it was when I asked, I just described the stage).
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Jim, I do not know either Emmons or Myrick personally--I have seen Emmons perform in person once, in 1984, Myrick never.

But if you consider that Buddy E. is kidding or mistaken about it being him in the video, and believe Warford's assertion that the steeler is Weldon M., I offer the following for your consideration:

I am under the impression that you may have a copy of the Winnie Winston and Bill Keith book, "Pedal Steel Guitar". There's a photograph on page 55 of Hal Rugg and Weldon on the Grand Ole Opry stage. There's another book, I believe not now in print, "Pedal Steel Guitar: A Manual of Style" by Terry Bethel, Jimmie Crawford, John Hughey, and Weldon Myrick, compiled and edited by Winnie Winston (1980). This book consists of Winnie Winston's interviews with each of those players and tabbed examples of their playing techniques. The same photograph appears in the Weldon section of that book, on page 89, captioned with a date of 1974. If you look at that photo, I think you might have to agree that the person in the 1974 video cannot by any stretch of the imagination be Weldon Myrick!

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 16 Jul 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Brint, I thought the same thing intially - but then I saw other pictures of Myrick (I can't recall all the locations) and some looked strikingly similar to the video. Apparently his weight varied abit, and he did grow facial hair at times. Now, if Buddy clearly says "Bob's memory has failed him - it was me, and here's what I recall about it..." I'll call Bob back and tell him I'll drive him to the doctor...

:lol:
No chops, but great tone
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

...it's Buddy Emmons...
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jim, your wrong, Its Buddy Emmons.
Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 14 Jul 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

C'mon guys...we're to trust Steve Hinson, which we do - as does Buddy - and Buddy wrote that he misses the shirt.

What - do you think he loaned it to Weldon? :wink:
Mark
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Weldon's as big (well, as tall, not as big around) as Hoss Cartright, he'd never be able to get into one of Buddy's shirts. That's NOT Weldon!!! Obviously Jim you've never seen Weldon in action. He's as tall sitting down as a lot of 'em are standing up!....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Guys, I'm not debating this - I'm just saying the only guy who was actually there (on stage, near the steel) and has made a straightforward statement says it was Weldon Myrick on that gig. I'm afraid I know him too well to mistrust his information. Buddy mentioned missing the shirt...but never really said it was him. Why not? Why didn't he say "it was me."???

I'm just trusting a viable source presenting the facts. Everyone else seems to be going on their opinion based on pictures or something, when the steeler is in view for a nanosecond in the video. So oddly, I guess all the Buddy-voters are saying Warford is a liar because their view of the brief apearances during the video make them more qualified sources than someone who played on that gig and several others with THAT group of musicians.
No chops, but great tone