Quad neck steel guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Those are really cool shop pictures. Notice Eddie's steel dosen't have PU's installed at the time of the pic.
Chas, the shots of the HS covers on your W/C Q8 and the ones on Bobby Black's Bigsby T8 really helps to solidify my theroy that Chuck had that guitar after Bobby and before John Hobaugh, which explains the extra pedal and alterations underneath it.
Ray Montee

BIGSBY stuff............

Post by Ray Montee »

I've been in touch with BOTH Bigsby Bio writers.

The case is rectangular, nearly square.

It's in flaming red soft fuzzy stuff.

The guitar fits in upside down.

In the front of the case nearest you, there is a solid pocket wherein you drop the pedal rods. Then, you put the pedal bar into it and they help keep the rods on the bottom. Nice planning..........

The way BIGSBY's pedal rods SNAPPED into place, both on the pedal bar and again, up underneath the guitar itself. They were numbered and the set-up time was just moments.

When I got my '72 Emmons, I nearly tore off my finger nails attempting to set it up. Took about 1/2 hour.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Ron Middlebrook has Wayne's guitar.

Back sometime around 1988,9,?, I called Wayne, in Big Bear, and he didn't appreciate that I wanted to buy his guitar. Couldn't say that I blamed him and I apologized for bothering him.
Ray Montee

Q. Murphy's steel up for sale................

Post by Ray Montee »

I know this is a little out of order however, Juaquin Murphy's triple-Bigsby is for sale as we speak.

You can see it at Musurgia.com
http://musurgia.com/products.asp?Produc ... 9346302007

Quite a nice written history about "BIGSBY" as well.
Mike Holland

Description and more pictures? Please. Please.

Post by Mike Holland »

Mike Black wrote:Hi Chas, hope all is well. I suspected that these headstock covers were done by Chuck Wright also. The quad shot leave little to doubt.

I have been dreaming of such a guitar! Do you have any or more info about this. Especially pictures and
dimensions. I would like to build a replica just for me. Guess you are not a member. Let me know,
please!
Mike Holland (in Santa Cruz)
Bobbe Seymour

Just another sarcastic opinion, (as always)

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I have to agree with Jeff Au Hoy in his opinion of four neck guitars, from a playing perspective anyway.

However, I don't like collecting things that I wouldn't use. I can use a triple, prefer doubles,

I sold my four neck Bigsby to a Dallas collector for #$650.00. (10 years ago).

I crave my triple 10, 10, 8 string though. Use it continuously and may possibly use it on my part of the show at the St.Louis show "Labor Day".

How do you four neck players reach the outside neck if you are sitting down? How do you see the pedals? (if you have them?)
I've been playing 55 years and I can't do it,,,,,,,,,,,, but then don't use me as a standard of measurment,,,,,,,(my wives never did, thank goodness)

Bobbe,
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Ray that sounds like a standard case configuration, do the legs secure under the steel? One Bigsby I know of has a rack that holds the rods in the lid.

I've had only a couple chances at Fender quads and never owned one. They're not very common compared to the rest of the Stringmaster line.
There was a great non pedal player in the Wenatchee, WA area, his name slips my mind, that had a late 50's one. I wanted to buy it after he passed but his wife kept it for setimental reasons.
Now I agree with Bobbe 2 necks is ideal.

Mike, that triple was built for Bobby Black, #41553. It's not for sale. Bobby got a W/C in the 50's and I think he traded it in(he dosen't remember) Then Chuck added a pedal and the covers and it ended up for sale in an Oakland music store in 59. You'll be able to buy one very similar soon just the way you want it.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

For those of you that may not know, back in the early 90's Bobbe's shop had sales mailer and it had a list of Bigsby's for sale. There was like 10 of them on this list. Incredible. Bobbe do you still have any copies of it?
Bigsby Quad for $650 those were the days!
Johnny Cox remembers a D8 that you had for years sitting by the door with no interest.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Do I remember? Yes, I also had several at home in this time period, whew, things were different then, I also had about 18 Shelby Cobras, several other cars worth millions today, I knew they'd be worth a lot someday, but not so soon, and not so much.

I have a '72 Pontiac GTO show car that just won The "Mighty Muscle" award at the "Good Guys" car show in Nashville today, with over 2000 entries to compete against. This is the fifth car show it took first places in. What's it worth? About a third what I have in it possibly, but next year?

Where is the end to the Bigsby craze? I don't think we have even seen the start of it yet. I know of many that have gone for over $20.000, so does Mike Black!

Bigsbys are leading the way but some others are starting to move, Super pro IIs, Sho-Bud Perms, Some ZBs in perfect original shape, but nothing like the Paul A. Bigsby guitars. (Keep an eye on the Emmons P-P guitars in great original condition also)

Steel guitars can be a wonderful investment if you buy the correct brand. Several folks have made some good investments here. Yep, the Emmons P-Ps are the way to go at the moment if you missed out on the Bigsby game.

Bobbe
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

P.S., I feel the first "Wright Custom" steels may do well in the up coming years also, but many other brands never will, like cars, some just never will.

Bobbe
Ray Montee

Bigsby legs.........up tight and out o'sight!

Post by Ray Montee »

Yes! The four legs are held in place beneath the guitar with a lightweight metal 'holder' and is tightened down with a wing nut. Works great!

The six rods lie tightly in the special compartment and the pedal bar/pedals is dropped in on top of them and it all fits together snuggly.

Once the guitar is in the case upside down, in order remove the legs and store them before moving, you then flip the g'tar over to right side up and drop it down inside to be admired each time you open up the lid.

Paul even included a small wooded piece that sits easily atop the near inside neck and gives support to the case lid and keeps the g'tar from flopping around inside while it's being banged around from gig to gig.

The case is covered in a magenta colored Tolex type of covering. Case is in great shape even after all of these many years. Paul had mentioned that most steel players use the triple neck case as a seat when playing.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Ray, you sir are to be commended for your years of loyality to Bigsby!! Heck you carried that thing many miles!! I can't even comprehend it! Quad in one hand, Bassman in the other, you probably were smiling too :lol: !!!

Bobbe, you don't by chance still have a copy of that mailer? I remember sitting with Jimmy Roy 15 years ago in his practice room, he had that list framed and we'd look at all the names and models. It was truely mindboggeling!! I think he's lost it some where and I'd like to get him another copy.
You want to take a guess at whose and how many you had at the shops peak?
BTW off topic but did Carroll Shelby ever customize a 67-68 Cougar that you know of? Ever see that particular Merc model year in a Convertible?

I first became interested in Bigsby steels simply because they are the Cadillac of non pedal steels. Then they kind of grew on me. Back then not many people were into his history and only a few guys were actively looking for the instruments.
I've NEVER doubted the value of Bigsby instruments and ALWAYS put them on par with any other highly sought after 50's stringed instruments. I took alot of heat for it, several times, but I knew it was only a matter of time before the market caught on. I still think they're a deal comparitivly. I'd much rather play Muph's T8 then a 54 Strat.
One thing to remember, 10 years ago you could have a HECK of a pile of 50's guitars and amps for 20K. Fender T8's were 500 and Ricky's 350, you could get a Bassman for 1500 and BG Tele for 5k, less if you just wanted a refinished player.
I think it will, and should, reflect on the other builders of the era like Wright Custom's, Blankenship and Wheeler, and 50's Sho~Buds. I don't think they will command Bigsby prices but they will ride the wave for sure. And for the most part the smaller builders stuff from the 50's is much rarer. I agree about Emmons though, the early ones value will be strong but the market will be players and will most likely create a ceiling. Celebrity instruments are another thing all together.

I think that Bigsby produced alot more stuff then he's credited for too. But then ALOT could be 200 instruments not 100. Which is still peanuts compared to any given year of Gibson or Fender's production.
I figure if he built 1 instrument a month ( the accepted norm) from 1949-1963 that's 180. Add a handfull for 1948 say 5 or 6.
But then we find 3 steels that were produced in Feb 54 with serial #'s all within a 2 week period? So is that 1 per-month figure true or an urban legend?
Imagine this scenario, The Bigsby family needs a new car, a vacation, kids braces or a family illenss, or to send his daughter to college. How does Paul raise the dough? It's simple, fill more orders. He was in a for profit business after all with no shortage of orders to fill.

I'm hoping the book by Andy Babuick will answer some of these questions, He's talked extensively with Paul's daughter and theres were files and a file cabinet, now in the possesion of his Brother. Great Books have been written about every major builder in the 50's. Now it's time for his small, but none the less significant, shop. Probably the first true "Custom Shop"!
Ray Montee

Mike Black............

Post by Ray Montee »

Not only did I carry that BIGSBY many miles, with the Fender bassman in the other hand, but I also had that German Echolette under one arm and a small custom made carrying case with my Bigsby footpedal and misc. chords therein under the other arm.

Whew! It's no wonder that my hands/knuckles drag on the floor these days. Probably that's what gave me the arthur-itus I feel in my fingers at this late age.

The BIGSBY case at 105 pounds, wasn't all that heavy, but the killer was, it was rather long, from the end plate handles........and thus when traversing stairways, the case would usually hit the next highest step, knocking me off balance, and on many occasions, nearly causing me to tumble over backwards with all of that musical gear in hand. At the KGW-TV Broadcast House, it was a three times per week joust up the outside fire escape to the studio where we performed. Gadd! I could never do it today!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Mike Black, you have just put out some of the best "Bigsby" information I have ever heard! I didn't know about a daughter or brother! This news makes me very happy!

Mike, you are a great help to the history of this great builder and desighner. Keep digging, many would appreciate more news like this, And thank you for several other reasons also, three of them, in the form of a triple neck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Bobbe
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

I had some shirts made a few years ago with the Bigsby name embroidered on 'em. I was at the infamous "Win Place & Show" one night dancing, a night I'll NEVER forget, but that's another story ;). I was at the bar when this guys notices my shirt and starts talking about Bigsby Electric. It took me about 5 minutes to realize that he wasn't talking about steels! Seems there's a Bigsby Electric contracting company in Pheonix!

Bobbe I can't make any claim that he's still living but he had a brother that ended up with some records. It's kind of hard, once you get an undertanding of Bigsby, to think that he DIDN'T keep records. Beside the daughter I think he had a step son also.

One thing I believe is that the truth always comes out. And it's Paul Bigsby's turn.

I often wondered about the wheels on Bisgby legs. What they were for and some have them some don't. The reasoning I've been told is that he player could grab the handles and roll the guitar to himself when they wanted to get at the front neck. Anyone know this to be the case? Then Pedal ones may "walk" when you're using them?
FWIW, I've seen blue, green and red colored case lining.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Thank you Mike, I'm hoping for more info on Paul Bigsby.
Bobbe
Ray Montee

PAUL BIGSBY and family

Post by Ray Montee »

Okay you guys, here goes.

A fellow that used to live here in Portland and was quite a performer for many years, all the while he was also driving for Safeway Stores, at one time brought a gentleman out to the Corral where I was playing. I knew not his friend but was later introduced to him.

The guest was PAUL A BIGSBY. The 'local' musican was Bobby Gibson, guitarist, vocalist, truck driver.

When Paul passed away, Bobby Gibson rec'd a custom made case with Paul's first prototype vol/tone pedal ensconsed therein. Bobby told me about it. This custom case that Paul had used to transport his foot pedal to all of the bands in the region was tucked full of personal letters and photographs. It was Paul's 'demo' case.

Bobby subsequently placed the foot pedal for sale at that high falooting music store back east, what was it, Elderly? or something like that? I think they were asking $10,000 or something like that?

Has anyone checked for a phone for a BIGSBY family in Downy, Calif. He lived on Phlox street or something like that?

Paul mentioned to me, regarding the rear leg mounted wheels, that it was easier to transport the guitar from the side of the stage area onto stage center for performing. Simple tilt it toward one's self and rather than slide it, simply roll it along.

GOOD LUCK!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

You're a gold mine of Bigsby memories, Ray. I wish I'd had at least a bit of the same after having grown up just blox from Phlox without knowing a thing about the goin's on at PA's house and garage shop. Many of my musical heros where dropping by, and it must have been something.
I was 10 when he passed in '65.

I had (maybe) first shot at PA's/Mr. Gibson's historic pedal and ephemera a few yrs. back (thanx to you, Ray, I believe), before he sent it off to Gruhn's. I could tell in our correspondence that it was outta my pony league.
Wonder if it's still there...? At 10K it probably is!

I'd be quite surprised if any Bigsby family are still in the area, as it's not at all like it was in the 70's, last time I was there.
Last edited by Ron Whitfield on 7 Jul 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

George Gruhn in Nashville had that pedal, he had the price of around ,$10.000 on it I'm not sure if he sold it or not, seemed high, but possibly not if the history can be proven, and it seems to be a fact according to you now Ray. Exciting stuff!

I just wish some relitives would emerge with some great historical facts.
I have a small amount of first hand facts, but nothing like what is needed to put together a good historical portfolio. Some folks are working on this, (Ron Middlebrook) I wish they'd hurry up! I don't have forever! Ha! Darn, I love those guitars,

I'm playing my triple ten this coming Wednesday at the four day "Chet Atkins Appreciation Society" show in Nashville with Bob Saxton and Thom Bresh. I'm just glad I have a Bigsby to do it with, possible "Youtube" clips on this in a week.
youtube.com/bobbeseymour

Keep the facts coming,

Bigsbys forever!

Bobbster,
Bobbe Seymour

The Gruhn Pedal, (Bigsby)

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Ron, we posted art the same time, at least our facts jive! We must be correct! Yes, I feel George Gruhn still has the pedal, don't worry about not getting it. The pot is bad anyway! Ha! Ha!

Thank you Ron!
Bobbe Seymour.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Well, I guess that depends on what kind of pot yer talkin' about...!

And, considering the rather low price PA's PU winder went for at Euro Ebay a while back, I'd still consider the pedal price high, unless ya gots the $ to play with, then it's a steal!

I'll never get over the news that all along you had tons of Bigsby's laying around un-wanted for under a grand, when I was looking and drooling like a rabid dog for one (still am!), but now it'll never happen.
Why no one ever mentioned your shop to me then... :evil:
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Well Ron, at least I am your friend now. Brothers in "Bigsby", we have a lot of other nice Bigsby bros too!

Bobbe
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Ray, the guitar laying on PA's workshop bench was built for Eddie Gabbard, a Bay area musician and a USAF pilot. It is most likely the last instrument PA built, at least that what Bigsby told Eddie when he delivered the guitar. It was shipped to Germany where Eddie was serving at the time, in -63. Eddie had been a frequent customer to Bigsby since the late 40's when he bought a vol/tone pedal from Paul. That particular guitar has been sitting in my living room for the past five years when I acquired it from Eddie's son. I'm happy to say that it's near mint and 100% original. The case is in great shape too, it has a blue lining. Eddie loved that guitar, it was his pride and joy and he took incredible care or it. It took four years for Bigsby to build it, imagine waiting for your dream instrument for that long. I have tons of pictures of Mr Gabbard playing it, both at home and at gigs. He saved every letter and receipt from Bigsby, and frankly his house is a Bigsby enthusiast's and vintage music fan's wet dream. I couldn't believe it when I visited them to pick up the guitar, and I still couldn't believe it when I visited them another time, just two months ago. Eddie himself has been gone for almost thirty years but fortunately now has a great grandson, also named Eddie Gabbard. So when he grows up and picks up steel he already has a mint condition Bigsby with his name inlaid on it waiting for him!! :)
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

REMOVED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.