Coop This

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Colby Tipton

Coop This

Post by Colby Tipton »

Would this old Bud of mine be a good candidate for John Coop parts?
As it is, it is in good playing condition.
I was thinking about turning it into a single with a pad to cut down on the weight.
I'll keep the stuff from the back neck to put it back to a double and sale the old undercarriage parts to someone that may want them.

James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

No Colby, this is a terrible candidate for getting "Cooped up"!! You should immediately send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you!! :twisted:

All joking aside, your guitar would be extremely PERFECT for a Coop conversion. It would blow your mind the tone that would be unlocked, as well as the smoothe easy feel when you play it. Gorgeous guitar you have there!! Get it done, and bring it up to the Dallas Jamboree next March and show it off a little! 8)

If you got yours done up, yours and mine would look like they came out of the same litter!! 8)

Edited to add this second pic, for those who are interested in seeing the Coop undercarrage.
Last edited by James Morehead on 4 Jul 2007 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Since it has already had a makeover with Super Pro parts, I would not hesitate to go with the Coop upgrade.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Man, I would hate to see a beautiful old D10 like that made over into an SD10. Why don't you post it for awhile and see if anyon has a similar Bud SD10 they would like to trade for your D10. I just like to see those beautiful old Buds kept as original as possible, with the exception of better parts underneath.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I've seen and appreciated John Coop's work for years, and I've thought of sending him ShoBuds to work on, but I have absolutely no idea of the costs, and I've been too embarrassed to ask him.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

David,
I will keep everything on top to put it back to a double. I would not think of seperating the stuff. I'm trying to put it back as close to what it was as possible. It used to have 2 hole cranks with barrels. I will get the stuff for the back neck too.

Alan,
Don't worry about asking him, thats the only way you will know. I don't know yet, I will as soon as I get in touch with him.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I can't believe that you would save much over five pounds by converting it to a SD10. Leave it alone!!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Actually, you would lose about 18 lbs., if I recall right.

If Colby wants a single neck SD10, it's called pride of ownership. Go for it Colby, and if you ever sell it or want to convert it back, you'll have your C6th neck and parts. Take some detailed pics before you take it apart, and you can easily reverse it.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Colby,That's your guitar to do ANYTHING you please with it,It just gives me the shivers to think of taking that back neck off.To me nobody has ever built a more beautiful guitar than those old D-10 buds.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I added a picture above, to show the Coop undercarrage. As you can see, it works beautifully in the old Professionals, as well as early Pro II's.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

I guess I'll have to leave both necks setup. Who knows, the parts for the back could wind up getting lost along the way.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Does the decal say The Professional - II Custom on it? I never knew there was a Professional II. Very cool. Colby, you mentioned that the undercarriage originally had two-hole pullers with barrels. Could the "II" have meant a transition between the Professional and the Pro II? It's my understanding that the standard Professional only came with rack and barrel, and that the two-hole pullers were introduced on the round front Pro II?
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Chris,
I'm not exactly sure about the 2 hole puller and barrels, I just think that is how it was. In the pickture you can see all of the original screw holes.

Bobbe Seymour had the super pro stuff put on this guitar several years back up at the Sho-Bud facility in Magazine, Arkansas. He may know more about the original mechanics of it.
I think the custom decal was added by Bobbe too.
Norman Carlton

SHO-BUD SUPER PRO MECHANICAL ISSUES

Post by Norman Carlton »

I have a Sho-Bud Super Pro and am starting to have some problems with the pins in the fingers. I need to talk to John Coop about it but I don't know how to contact him one on one. Somebody, please help me! :evil:
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

I talked to John Coop this morning and he is going to fix me up with the parts to rebuild both necks on my old "Bud".

I'm going to rebuild it myself, so maybe before to long I will have it done and I'll post some pictures.

P.S.
He sure seems to be one of good the old boys after talking to him.

Colby
Last edited by Colby Tipton on 5 Jul 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with John Coop and James Morehead in Dallas and St. Louis, and I can assure you that two finer guys you will not meet. Their passion for Sho~Buds is psychologically alarming. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Norman Carlton

SHO-BUD SUPER PRO

Post by Norman Carlton »

I had the privilege to speak in person with John coop today. I think the answer to my issues are there, and I will peusue it. I agree, I've never met him but from his conversation he is devoted to the SHO-BUDS of the world. I look forward to doing business with him! :lol:
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Chris, I blame Ricky Davis and John Coop for my insanity!! :shock: :shock:
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Colby.. someone somewhere has a lovely old LDG or Pro I they would be happy to swap for your D 10...

Don't take that old girl apart and make a single neck out of it... Too many have been converted already.. Swap her for a beautiful old S 10 or LDG, then have Coop work on it for you.... just my $.02.... bob
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Definately with David D. on this one.......find your self a nice old single neck Pro to convert with Coop's parts if that's what your objective is.....
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

I'm doing both necks and keeping it together.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Colby,

Your Sho-Bud is one of the most beautiful PSGs I have seen. That natural finish is so bright I need to wear sunglasses to look at it. 8)
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Now you're talking Colby :D