Questions on palm and knuckle blocking

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Malcolm Leonard

Questions on palm and knuckle blocking

Post by Malcolm Leonard »

Well,I guess this question applies to both lap and pedal,but I am refering to pedal,in this case,so am placing it here.

I am having a tough time getting my very large right hand to do either knuckle or palm blocking.

Any reason why I should not simply block by just touching either the thumbpick or a finger pick to a string gently to stop it from vibrating,instead of using the palm or knuckle?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

That is called pick blocking. The best person I have ever seen do this was Sally Van Meter. She is incredible at it.

http://www.sallyvanmeter.com/home.cfm

You can get a clinking sound if not done right.

My advise is just to try all three and practice. One will stand out as your best.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Many of the best steelers use many kinds of blocking, palm, picks, bar-hand fingers and thumb, whatever is best for the situation.
Malcolm Leonard

Post by Malcolm Leonard »

Thanks to all who answered.By the way,I meant to say that I was referring to lap not pedal,so I posted the thread in the lap forum.
Thanks!
Malcolm
Chris Morrison

Andy Hall also pick-blocks a lot...

Post by Chris Morrison »

Andy Hall's extensive pick blocking can be clearly seen in the right-hand videos he did for Bluegrass College lessons -- you can see a hint of it in the sample lesson at www.bluegrasscollege.com. I signed up, and in other lessons it's very clear blocking-as-muting.

Try to see him in a festival workshop, and ask about it -- he explained at length at the Joe Val fest. workshop he did last February...