John Hughey Made Me Cry Today

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hank Pell

John Hughey Made Me Cry Today

Post by Hank Pell »

I was listening to Swingin West today, and I heard the beautiful steel guitar instramental of the old Webb Pierce's Slowly.I knew it was John Hughey right away. John put his Heart and Soul into that one. JOHN HUGHEY MADE ME CRY TODAY
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Hank,
Papa John can have that affect on you! Two players have done that to me. John is one, and the other is Buddy. Ain't they good?!?!?
Roger
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

John Hughey made me cry thirty years ago....I haven't been right since... :wink:
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Hank,

Thanks buddy so much for the listen. I didn't have the Time Jumpers on the show today so I made sure that I had Papa John. Glad that you enjoyed this huge talent. He is always a fan favorite on "Swingin' West."

By the way I have you doing "Green Light" on steel from your "Thompsonizing" album on next week's show.
Mike
Vann Ray Cranford

The Great John Hughey!!!

Post by Vann Ray Cranford »

I met John Hughey in the early 1970's when I was 15 years old. He came to Ayden-Grifton High School with Conway. I was playing guitar back then, but by the time I was 17, Clyde Mattocks had built me my first Cherokee pedal steel. Thanks to John Hughey and Clyde Mattocks for inspiring me to take up pedal steel. It has been a learning experience and love of my life ever since. So, all of you famous steel players out there take a lesson from Brother Hughey! Always take time to talk with all of your fans, because you may just be inspiring a future musician!
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Yes sir, John Hughey can bring a tear to a glass eye! :shock:

It's no secret but John was the fella that got me hooked. I once asked him if he realized how many thousands of dollars he cost me! Ha!

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Terry Sneed

John

Post by Terry Sneed »

The first time I met John Hughey was about 3 years ago at Ronnie's guitar shop in Hot Springs. I never expected someone of his caliber, and fame to be so down to earth. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He's always been one of my favorite players also.

Terry
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Vince Gill took him back in the picture a couple a years ago.....thanks Vince!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I just got finished listening to "Phases and Stages" by Willie, for the umpteenth million time. Brilliant work on that album. It's surprising how much he plays C6th throughout the whole album.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I met John Hughey in 2000 in Saluda, SC and what an amazing player he is! I first heard him when he played steel for Vince. If you listen to the Travis Tritt/Marty Stuart duet "This One's Gonna Hurt You", John is the steel player on that record and he's also in the video, playing an Emmons. John had also played on George Strait's song "Amarillo By Morning" and a lot of Conway's songs. John Hughey is a great buddy of mine too.

Brett
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Do any of you remember a solo album by Richard Betts from about 1973 or '74? There's a couple of instrumental tunes that John Hughey flat out burns up on the C6 neck, One song "Hand Picked" is about 11 minutes long with Vassar Clements, Chuck Leavel on piano and Betts on guitar. There's a theme set down by Betts and then every one gets a couple of long solos. I've still got it on vinyl somewhere but I'd like to find that on CD.
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

I just got finished listening to "Phases and Stages" by Willie, for the umpteenth million time. Brilliant work on that album. It's surprising how much he plays C6th throughout the whole album.
I heartily agree Chris! This is the one that made me cry ("It's Not Supposed To be That Way", 'I Still Can't Believe You're Gone"). This is also the vinyl album that I wore out trying to learn licks off of. I had a turntable that would run at 16, and it would slow everything down (but drop it an octave of course). I was also taking lessons from Buddy Charleton at the time, so my head was hurting.....! How 'bout that solo on "Heaven Or Hell"? Just great....! Oh yeah, "Bloody Mary Morning" ain't too shabby either...:wink:
Do any of you remember a solo album by Richard Betts from about 1973 or '74? There's a couple of instrumental tunes that John Hughey flat out burns up on the C6 neck, One song "Hand Picked" is about 11 minutes long with Vassar Clements, Chuck Leavel on piano and Betts on guitar. There's a theme set down by Betts and then every one gets a couple of long solos. I've still got it on vinyl somewhere but I'd like to find that on CD.
Dave, this is the album that hooked me on steel guitar. I was an Allman Bros. freak (still am!) and I was playing guitar in a Southern Rock copy band. I picked up this album and boom, that was it! :D I just love John's C6 approach. He doesn't get enough credit for his C6th playing really..

TD
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

John Hughey is the only steel player that made me cry. Pure E9 has some real tear jerker moments. Very emotional player indeed. One of my favourites.

Last edited by Chris LeDrew on 21 Jun 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Besides being a great steel guitar player, he's also a super nice guy.
I visited with him at the Gospel Steel Guitar show in Indianapolis this Spring.
He told me that he played on the road for 51 years and had enough!
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Ya bunch of sissies... :cry:

:wink:
Billy Carr
Restricted

JH

Post by Billy Carr »

I truly understand what everybody's talking about here. My first time to see JH was in 71' at 14 years old. I'll turn 50 this Sunday and I'm still a Hughey man. The Dicky Betts album from years ago blew me away when I turned it over and saw JH's pic with a D-10 Emmons. I didn't see JH after that for several years until like around 98 or 99 I went to a steel show in Magee, MS. and he was there. I just sat there in the crowd while he played and was touched so by his playing until I almost cried several times and had chill bumps the whole time. JH has been a part of my playing since I started and still is. He and his wife, Jean are wonderful folks. JH is very special to me.
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

I have John doing "Pickin' Polka" as well as the Time Jumpers doing "Smile" on tomorrow's "Swingin' West" show heard world wide on the Internet from 1-4 PM eastern.

Mike Gross
www.swinginwest.com
Matt Elsen

Post by Matt Elsen »

I believe the Dickey Betts album is called "Highway Call". Though it was recorded over 30 years ago I still find myself going back to listen to it (it has also been rereleased on CD).

For me, John's contribution on several of the songs on this album remain as a high-water mark for steel guitar.

M.E.