SpyCrush? Help!

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Keith Starmer

SpyCrush? Help!

Post by Keith Starmer »

Does anyone have any experience with SpyCrush? While on the internet, I suddenly received an icon on my taskbar and a message stating "System has detected a number of active spyware applications that may impact the performance of your computer. Click the icon to get rid of unwanted spyware by downloading an up-to-date anti-spyware solution."

The icon looks like a security shield and continues to stay active by continuously switching from a red "X" to a blue "?". The Taskbar properties will not allow me to hide or delete this icon.

When I click (right or left) on the icon it automatically takes me to the SpyCrush website and offers a free trial to detect infections, spyware, malware, etc.

I have a very good PC security system,"BlackIce" and "Spy Sweeper" and do not want SpyCrush. However, it will not allow me to delete the icon and continues to give me the annoying message above.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Download Spybot Search and Destroy, update all definitions, Immunize, then Scan for Problems. It will remove the SpyCrush Parasite.

I'm surprised that Spy Sweeper hasn't removed that parasite. Have you updated to current spyware definitions and run full scans, rebooting into Safe Mode if requested?

FYI: SpyCrush is part of a family of fraudulant detection sleazeware programs. They are all similar in appearance and use false positives and alerts to goad you into purchasing a license to "remove" the threats they claim to have found, which never existed in the first place. Most of these sleazeware programs leech into your computer to make themselves hard to remove for amateurs. For this reasons I call them Parasites. Never purchase a license for such a parasite program. You can look for rogue anti-spyware programs on SpywareWarrior.com
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

FYI, here is what I found about SpyCrush at Spywarewarrior.com:
SpyCrush : spycrush.com :
aggressive, deceptive advertising (1,2); same app as SpyDawn, SpyHeal, SpywareQuake, VirusBurst, & VirusBursters [A: 3-7-07 / U: 3-7-07]
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog