? on seat's....

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

A. J. Schobert

? on seat's....

Post by A. J. Schobert »

As far as I know there are no pac a seat out there who has a seat height adjustment, are there?

I am really leaning to buy a drummer seat since there is a height adjustment on them.
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Standard pack-a-seat height is 22", so that puppy Dean posted about is right on the target. Thanks, Dean-ster!

(Nice seeing you in Dallas, btw. :) )
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

i think the adjustment is in notches tho, not continuous. Hi Herb.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

When I first started playing, I was 10 years old and under the 5 foot mark. I got an adjustable drum stool and used that. Worked well. Just carried a bag with my cables and stuff. Pretty convenient, and takes up no more space than a normal seat.
Thom Beeman

Post by Thom Beeman »

A.J., The standard height on a seat depends on the steel. Most steel heights today are made so a 20" seat would be standard height. Some support a 21" seat height. A good seat will be made to fit you and the height of your steel.
steelseat.com The most comfortable seat in the business.
Desert Rose S-10, Williams S-10
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I am 6'2", I don't have an over height kit maybe I should, I have been doing fine without, but just siting on the edge of a seat is for the birds, some guys are under 6' some ar over so how do they know 20"-21" is standard? That is why I am really wanting to buy a drummer throne, heck the one I was looking at has a pnumatic control for height.

Thanks for help.
Dean Cavill

Post by Dean Cavill »

Yo A.J.

Funny how many replies one gets without an actual answer to the original question.
Not that everyone isn't trying to help mind you.

Regardless, the answer you seek, I believe, is "NO".

I play Universal, which typically requires a tad more pedal pressure, which a slightly higher seat affords.
So after a bit of fidgeting, my cheapo piano throne is exactly right for me.

But... after almost 3 years of imperfect, albeit dedicated, practicing and gigging,
I decreed (to myself) that I'd earned the right to be called a "Steeler" (of sorts).
So what better way to make it official than to get a Pac-Seat eh?

Naively I assumed that at least some $350+(CDN) boxes with cushions and legs
would have height adjustments... NOT!

It's odd that this Forum is mostly threads about small adjustments, be it pick/palm blocking,
tuning, what have you...
So it blows my mind so many are willing to lie down and accept the fact that Pac-Seats are
traditionally "XX" inches, and leave it at that.

We're in the wrong business.
We should be building adjustable height Pac-Seats at $700 a throw ! (when we're not Steeling yeah?)

Coincidentally, just today I'm taking my Out-West seat to a welding shop to see if they
can extend the legs, say, an inch and a half, which I'll hacksaw shorter to taste at home and
re-apply some plastic/rubber feet if possible.
How many inches tall will that make it? Who cares?
All I know is it will be exactly the height I want.
I should be spending the time playing rather than dickin' 'round with this seat-height thing.

The bright side: Seems most us Steelers derive way more pleasure from small adjustments than
the average Joe.

All the Best

p.s.
Does anyone have contact info on the Out-West chap? With luck, maybe I can just order longer legs.
Somehow, I don't he's doing the Pac-Seat thing anymore though.
Steelin' for the Dark Side
Fulawka-U12, a Bar, and some Picks
Thom Beeman

Post by Thom Beeman »

To answer to your question, (sorry Dean) YES. There is a seat builder in Ohio that is making seats with adjustable legs. He does not have a computer, if you email me I will provide his info for you.
The correct height of a seat, is what is the most comfortable for you the player.
steelseat.com The most comfortable seat in the business.
Desert Rose S-10, Williams S-10
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Thank You Dean

I thought it was no but I was hoping..

I agree it is funny that no seat builder has made a seat with adjustable height.

Now I understand you want to becareful with this as you want to promote good posture, but come-on not everyone is the same height!

I almost bought a keyboard seat, I forget why I didn't but it did raise or lower with ease, why can't pac-a-seat do this?

Just a Thought
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Maybe thom is on to something...
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

A.J.....there you go again....asking insightful questions!!! :lol:

But, I've often wondered about that too. You'd think that playing the most mechanically complex musical instrument in the world, someone would have figured out how to make an adjustable seat...it can't be THAT hard! Course, the price might go through the ceiling.. :( ....hhmmmmmm.

I use a small, adjustable, portable piano bench.
Best regards,
Mike
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

I am not sure what the brand name of mine is. I bought it from Randy Gilliam. Its a normal square steel guitar seat with compartments inside. The legs on it telescope and each setting on the legs are numbered so you get them all the same height when you set them. I think it’s called a "pro seat". If your really interested, I can take a few pictures and post them but let me know so I don’t bother with the pics if no one is interested...BTW, I am 6 foot 5 and play a standard height Emmons legrande that I tilt forward and lower my seat a little and it works fine...I also use a standard Hilton Pedal with cowboy boots with no problem at all......James
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

You're OK Mike!

James your back legs must be extended pretty far, I thought of that as a possibility.
Bobby Snell

Drum Throne

Post by Bobby Snell »

Sometimes a different height makes a difference in comfort from night to night. Roc-n-soc makes a nice product; mine has a back and is manually adjustable.

http://www.rocnsoc.com/index.html
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Bobby I am wanting one of those seats they are for drums but man are they sweet! And you know that is what it is all about! I forgot there name. They sell them at Guitar Center's.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

It does not seem to me that the guitar is tilted all that far. Here is a picture of me playing it. I used to play a GFI with a 2 inch lift. In all honesty, this method seems just as comfortable to me.

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Some seat manufacturers will make you a seat of any height, if you ask up front.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

James whats with the 2 colours of boot ?? Couldn't you find the other white one mate :lol:
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Thats funny Paddy. I used to be able to play my GFI with my boots on, but the Emmons pedals are to short and I can't play it with boots :? ...My adjustable seat has a tag on it that says "Pro Seat". There is nothing on it about where it was made. It has 9 inches of height adjustment.