? for Randy Beavers

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steven Welborn

? for Randy Beavers

Post by Steven Welborn »

Randy, I just heard "Cry" on Steelguitarradio.com. Just wondering what cd and female vocalist that was AND, which guitar you were playing. Great tone. Thanks
Randy Beavers

Post by Randy Beavers »

Steven, thanks for your comments and interest. Laney Hicks is the singer and yes, she upstaged me in a big way! :D I did manage to get her to let me do a turnaround in the middle. (32 bars)

The guitar is the first Hybrid model guitar from Zumsteel. A rosewood D-10 with Truetone pickups. The amp was a Music Man HD-150 with a 15" JBL. The name of the CD is "A Few Of My Favorite Things."

Thanks again.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

The entire CD is killer. Randy is a master at getting fat, sweet chords and phrases out of a steel guitar. The C6 sounds he gets from the E9 tuning are amazing.
Matt Elsen

Post by Matt Elsen »

It's a terrific album and has been in my play rotation since the day I bought it.
Highly recommended - everyone should hear it. Mandatory. State law.

Matt
Steven Welborn

Post by Steven Welborn »

Mr.Beavers does some of the coolest chord sub work I've heard when I get a chance to hear'm at conventions. Would love to catch on to more of that stuff. Anycase, cant wait to get this cd.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I love the way that Randy can get the C6th sound on the E9th neck. The 1st time I heard him play, I had to check out which neck he was playing on. :D
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Randy is there any chance you might tab out "lean on it" from that album --- outstanding tune and outstanding playing mate ..!!
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I'll second the tab for Lean on it. I love your playing Randy.

Tony
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

bump
Vann Ray Cranford

Two Talented Musicians

Post by Vann Ray Cranford »

I have not heard the version of "Cry" that you guys are talking about. However, a good while ago I was at Ray Walker's house in Smithfield, NC. He had quite a few recordings of Randy's. Of course, Randy's playing blows me away! Also, I heard a recording of what I think is the prettiest female voice that I have ever heard. I asked Ray who the woman was on the recording, and he told me, Laney Hicks. I could never get tired of listening to this woman sing. God has been good to her!!!