pickups? - rock... Joe Wright... 12 string

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Howard

pickups? - rock... Joe Wright... 12 string

Post by Steve Howard »

Have an E-66 on a 12 string guitar that I intend to use for both country and rock playing. Obviously, the E-66 doesn't provide the rounded sound I need for this.

I have a George L 10-1 on my 10 string that seems to do well, I could get the 12-1 maybe but looking for more input from forum members.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pickup for this dual use. I would like something I can get my hands on fairly quick (next 2-3 weeks).

Anyone know what Joe Wright uses?
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I don't know what Joe uses, but I get the best distortion sound using a Truetone single coil. I have three sets of pickups for my MSA's, Truetones, George L's TWs, and Bill Lawrence XR16's, and I tend to always use the Truetones on E9th.

I played some rock and blues stuff yesterday using my Williams guitar with Bill Lawrence 710's, and I didn't like the sound nearly as well as with the TT's. I have a new MSA coming with Tonealigners on it, I'm anxious to check them out. I have a set of old Danny Shields pickups on my Fessenden that I like really well, and the Tonealigners are supposed to be clones of these.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Steve Howard

Post by Steve Howard »

Are the Truetone's fairly quiet? Do they have a "smooth" sound for country also (I play mostly new country where the sound isn't as bright IMO)?

How can I learn more about the Tonealigners? Who do you order from?

thanks.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Steve,
I am making the Tonealigner pickups. I am waiting on a new batch of 12st bobbins at the moment. They should be ready in a couple weeks. Then it will take me a week or 2 to catch up with a couple orders. I made a 12st pickup for Lonnie Bennett that sounds like what you are looking for. Shoot me an email if you are interested in one.The George L 12-1 might be a good option also for humbucking. Then you certainly can't go wrong with a Truetone. Jerry Wallace does great work and can wind you whatever you want.
Bob
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

On Joe's older Sierra, sort of red and pink job, it looks like a ToneAligner pickup ..or the Pittman version ??
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I don't use an amp at the church where I play, and the TT's are as quiet as any other pickup. The power is fairly clean too, the building is only about 10 years old.

My practice amp sits about 4' from the pickups, and I don't notice any noise there either. There are no fluorescent lights around either which seem to be the major noisemakers in an AC system.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

If I remember correctly, Joe used a pickup that isn't made anymore ...It was a pickup made for the Sierra that was made by Dimarzio ....I have one, and it kick's serious ask me no questions , I'll tell you no lies ...It's really a punchy sounding pickup with great string seperation ... The Clap Traps are also great sounding pickups with plenty of tap positions for different tones ...The ToneAligners that Bob H. is making are suppose to be the same pickup as the Clap Trap ... What would work well with Bob's pickups is that you get the chance to pick your strength ....That will be my next pickup to A/B it with my Dimarzio and my Clap Trap ...JIm
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Obviously, the E-66 doesn't provide the rounded sound I need for this.
For what, rock? I find the E66 to be a pretty capable pickup...if you have a good amp. It has good distortion characteristics, fine detail, and a full sound when used with the proper equipment. (It's the pickup I still use most of the time.)