Steel Guitar night in Berkeley, CA - 5/31

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

David Wren

Steel Guitar night in Berkeley, CA - 5/31

Post by David Wren »

I just shared a Sacramento Jazz Jubilee venue with Bobby Black (and his new Super Slide), and having the priviledge of listening to him play two 1 hour sets with Don Burnham's "Lost Weekend" band was a real treat.

So I wanted to make sure all you fourmites in N. CA know that this Thursday, 5/31, the Freight and Salvage Club, 1111 Addison Street, Berkeley, will be hosting bands with Bay Area steel greats:

Bobby Black;
David Phillips;
and Joe Goldmark.

http://www.thefreight.org/2007/0705-may ... 70531.html

Doors open at 7:30, and I'll be there early :)

Hope to see some of my fellow steelers there.
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

David

I'll be there, tall, bald, and devilishly handsome (at least that's my wifes take on me)

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

Oh wow. I work only a mile away from Freight and Salvage, so I better show up. Looking forward to meeting some folks.
b0b

Email Announcement

Post by b0b »

Big Lou's Polka Casserole wrote:Please join Big Lou's Polka Casserole this Thursday, as we take part in "The Steel of the Night". This is a concert featuring the three most notable steel guitars in the bay area. Between them, they have more than a century of musical experience.

The bands are:

Joe Goldmark and the Seducers
After stints with Dallas Wayne, Jim Lauderdale, David Byrne, Peter Rowan and many others, Joe continues his tradition of bringing the pedal steel guitar into high-energy reinterpretations of rock and soul music with his 10th album "Seducing the 60s". Joe will be joined by Dave Gleason, Henry
Salvia, Chris Kee and Ken Owen.

Big Lou's Polka Casserole w/ David Phillips
David Phillips, a Georgia native, is equally at home playing standard weepy country western tunes or bringing his unique sound to artists such as, Tom Waits, Frank Black and John Wesley Harding. He's featured on Polka Casserole's latest CD,"Doctors of Polka - Ology"

The Saddle Cats w/ Bobby Black
Fiddler, Richard Chon, and Bobby Black take songs from the golden era of Western Swing and bring them into the new century with a mix of finesse, abandon and exuberant spirits. Bobby Black's talent for successfully entwining country, pop, and rock has led him to a long career that included gigs with Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, Asleep at the Wheel, and the New Riders Of the Purple Sage.

In the Steel of the Night - A Steel Guitar Extravaganza

Thursday May 31 8pm

The Freight and Salvage Coffee House
1111 Addison St. Berkeley CA
510-548-1761
www.freightandsalvage.org

$20.50 in advance $21.50 at the door
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

This oughta be a ton o fun. Lookin ferwerd to it.
David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

I'll be there with forumite Mark Harpainter. Last I heard Colin Alder (CruzTone Guitars) will also be joining us. Should be a fantastic night!!!
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

Yup, I'll be there. The drooling one... :D

-eric
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I've had the honor of hearing fiddler Richard Chon in a Cajun band with forumite steeler Billy Wilson, the absolute best I've heard..... can't wait to see the band!
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I wish I could be there. Bobby, Joe and David are individually worth it to be there, the three of them together sounds amazing!
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I'd go but they don't serve beer at the Freight and Salvage! :wink:

Have fun and say hi to the "Big Three."

DZ
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

I dunno Dave Z. This might be a beer night at the Freight.
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

I didn't bother to get advance tickets to this show, but this concert almost sold out. The venue has a capacity of 220 people, and I was a bit disappointed to end up in the second to last row. Luckily for me, some people left after David Phillips and his band played. Somehow I managed to get <b>the</b> prime seat - first row directly in front of Bobby Black's Stringmaster D8. After three great sets, all three of the Steelers got up on stage at the same time a played three numbers together. I took a few pictures while they were all on stage. (Bobby Black switched to his Carter D10 for the part where all three Steelers were playing.)

I'll let someone more experienced comment on the details of all the great picking they did. I also got to meet forum members Bill McKenna and the lapsteel player in the second row who's name I can't recall right now. A great night all around.
Bob Bernhard

Post by Bob Bernhard »

What a show that was, David! Hard to follow Joe Goldmark, he really rocks! David Phillips was sure put in a tough spot!

Really missed Tom Morrell in TX this year and kept kicking myself for not seeing him more. Bobby Black sure eases the pain. If you're on the West Coast go see Bobby, he really swings!
Steve Epstein

Post by Steve Epstein »

Absolutely one of the best shows ever put on at the Freight. I love Joe, and Dave was great, but Bobby Black should be listed as a national treasure.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

Great show! All three were great, and I felt for Dave stuck between Joe and Bobby.

Joe's group did some of Joe's instrumentals and Dave Gleason (of Wasted Days) joined for "Sing Me Back Home" and "Streets of Baltimore". Dave's group did a wide range of polkas (never thought of steel with polkas), and Bobby and the Saddle Cats did some Bob Wills and Spade Cooley swing numbers. Followed by the jam pictured above.

Kudos to all three pickers, and it was good to meet a few fellow forumites.

-eric
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Sure sorry I missed this show - band practice last night - couldn't get out of it.

Talk about three different styles of steel guitar - an adult portion with those three fellas!
Mark
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

What more can be said, this was a great night for steel guitar in N. CA. As a steel player I was moved by the interest and support shown in the bay area for steel.

I wish I had met more folks from the forum, but the place was just packed, so meeting folks was pretty difficult. Stephen it was nice meeting you, and Will sounds like we were only a couple of chairs apart (I was the guy in the Steelers ball cap). Billy, I looked for you but no luck, see you on the next one.

Thanks Joe, David and Bobby for a night I'll remember :)
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

Dang! I wish I could have made it!
Although maybe its better that I missed it or you might see all my gear listed in the "For Sale" section. Just when I start to think I have it together a little bit something like that comes along and puts me in my place. <-insert lame smiley face here!
Bill McKenna

Post by Bill McKenna »

It was a really good time, Great playing all the way around! Thanks to the guys for getting it together!

Great to hear Joe Dave and Bobby mix it up at the end! 3 great players with very different styles all of which are great tradin licks!

A night to remember for shore, Wasn't sure what to do with my steel when I got home, sell it or practice like heck! :)

Thanks
Bill
Bill McKenna
Too many to list :)
David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

What a great night! Fine, fine playing from all and a great jam at the end.

I might post a few pictures this weekend. I took a lot of them but haven't had time to view them. I may also post a cut or two of the Saddle Cats set. I got the OK from Bobby Black and Richard Chon. Those guys have to get into a studio!

Will, I was the guy sitting behind you.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for coming out to the show. I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout, and happy with the performance. I'm glad I got to meet a few of you who i either didn't know or had only met in passing. I was pretty busy with the gig and some family and old personal friends, or i would have reached out some more. Did you see Laurie Lewis? Both Bobby & I have played on her records. It was nice of her to show up.

Joe
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Well let's hope this type of performance happens again and again.

It was great meeting some other forumites David Wren and Dave from San Jose. And one of my personal favorite straight steel players, Patty Maxine was there. And Freddie Roulette was hangin in the background.

Joe, I really enjoyed listening to you play all those "non standard" kinda steel songs. And you play with such great precision and confidence.

Davids playing was terrific and once again, outside the usual steel guitar box. A polka education all in 60 minutes or less as we heard German, Russian, Slovakian, Polish, and a whole lot of other polkas. David was thoroughly enjoyable.

And Bobby just makes me want to sit and listen to him play every damn song he knows, a hundred or a hundred thousand. Boot Heel Drag was perfect! But so was everything else. And as always, the tone to go along with the most outstanding straight steel guitar licks.

I had to shout off my loud mouth when they asked who Loretta Lynns long time steel player was. I received a poster signed by all three which is now on it's way to Dave Zeigler, OH from the forum here who is collecting all the hall of famer autographs. Now he has Bobby Black and I think it's a possibility there is a future hall of famer on there as well.

I need to say also, that a fellow forumite, Winston, performed an act of kindness on my behalf, and I want to acknowledge it. I was looking for a Schaller tuning key, and he sent one to me without hesitation and without charge, only asking that I return mail the original postage cost. That is a brother in steel playing. Thank you Winston.

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Danny Williams

Bobby Black Info.

Post by Danny Williams »

How can I get ahold of Bobby Black? My e-mail address is wmsconnection@peoplepc.com. I used to have all his numbers but I no longer have them. Please, somebody help!