ACM Awards- A Rock Show.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kevin Hatton

ACM Awards- A Rock Show.

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Rythm and Blues and Rock. Not Country at all. What a joke.
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

You got that right.

I know I have a hearing problem, but I cant understand half of what they are trying to sing. :?
erik

Post by erik »

Oh no, I missed this thing. I wanted to watch. :oops:
-johnson
Kenny Drake

Post by Kenny Drake »

I thought Tim McGraw had a great song there, done well.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Rythm and Blues and Rock. Not Country at all. What a joke.
Well, what did you expect? :evil: I thought I might look at it (not really watch), but it slipped my mind. These days I'm a lot happier when I miss these shows.
Russ Little

Post by Russ Little »

I watched it.
can't say i was impressed
did notice that reba has minor dolly syndrom
oh well i knew better.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

I can't believe I watched the whole thing!
OK I tivoed it and fast forwarded through most of it, in fact the only two performances I cared enough about to actually rewind and watch over was George Strait and Vince Gill.
I think the George Strait song was about the only performance of the night the really featured the steel. Then Vince Gill just makes it all look so effortless, and put all those kids on the show to shame.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I watched a rerun of an old (81) Daytona 500 race last night. I have no real interest in the awards shows since Nashville went "rock".
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

At least the Artist (excuse me,I meant participants) wore clean T shirts. First clue that it wasn't Country, Las Vegas.2cnd that Big and Rich,Third,no Steel,4th No Haggard so on and so on. So Country music now has an academy? :D :D :D :roll: :lol:
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

Joe Casey wrote:At least the Artist (excuse me,I meant participants) wore clean T shirts. First clue that it wasn't Country, Las Vegas.2cnd that Big and Rich,Third,no Steel,4th No Haggard so on and so on. So Country music now has an academy? .........yes, and I could find more things I liked down ad the academy sporting goods down the street".... :D :D :D :roll: :lol:
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

did notice that reba has minor dolly syndrome
Between young, bouncy Kelly Picker's and young, bouncy Miranda Lambert's pneumatic "improvements", you can just hear the established stars like Reba & Martina thinking "Oh crap - now I gotta look like a Playboy Bunny too?!?"

(Kenny Chesney's pectoral implants are a troublesome trend, also....:shock:)
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Does the term "Sex Sells" apply here? Television killed the Radio Star.

In the words of a man smarter than Nashville, "And thayat's awl I have to say abayowt thayat." - Forrest Gump

JW
Show Pro D10, Session 400
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Joe Casey wrote:At least the Artist (excuse me,I meant participants) wore clean T shirts.
I just realized that both the acts I actually liked on the show, Vince Gill & George Strait, where both wearing suits.
Joe Casey wrote:First clue that it wasn't Country, Las Vegas.
You know Vegas used to be a very country town. When I first came to Vegas it had more honkytonks and country nightclubs & lounges than anyplace on the West Coast. It also had more rodeos than anyplace in the world, and still holds the biggest rodeo (NFR) of the year.
Joe Casey wrote:So Country music now has an academy?
For about 43 years now there has been "The Academy of Country Music"! Originally based on the West coast for "West Coast" artist(Merle, Buck, Wynn, Hank Tompson, you know the guys and that used to play Vegas all the time).
I don't think anyone on the show last night even lives near the West coast (Brad Paisley has a place in Malibu).
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I thought that it was a fair representation of what Country Music is these days.I thought that Tim McGraw sang great,I heard some nice Dobro in-between songs.I also thought that Reba,and Kelly Clarkson didn't look comfortable with each other...It could have been where I was sitting in my living room,It wasn't quite the "Freak Show" that I was expecting.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave O'Brien

Awards show

Post by Dave O'Brien »

Now ya know why I mostly play Bluegrass... :cry:
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Kyle Everson

Post by Kyle Everson »

I don't know anyone that I could confirm this with, but I could tell that on a couple of performances the vocals were live and the music was canned. Even George Strait's song was the studio cut, which really disappointed me. Rodney Atkins' song had steel fills all over it and there was no player to be seen on stage.

Brad Paisley's was definitely live, and he definitely had Randle on a riser the same height as Ben's drum riser.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Kyle I caught that also,Some of em' were fakin' it!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jimmy Youngblood

Post by Jimmy Youngblood »

We thought we were on the Playboy Channel!
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

I have been a member of the Academy of Country Music since the 70's. In fact Al Bruno the guitar player was my sponsor. I had forgotten it was on last night, and when my wife said it was on, I just let it slide.

Even tho I voted, I couldn't muster enough excitement to even watch.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Were you guys disappointed because it was a 'rock show' or because there wasn't enough steel guitar?

I didn't see the show myself, but then I try to steer clear of awards shows of any kind.

Awards show = fashion show.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Watching one of these award shows and then complaining about it not being "country" enough is like going to a Dale Watson show and complaining about not hearing any Kenny Chesney songs.
Patrick
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Huh?
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Well stated, Patrick.

Reba looked pretty hot. There were quite a few good-looking girls on there. (Toby had a harem with him.) Musically, I had low expectations - and they were met.

I did, however, jump off the couch and stare in amazement when I saw a Fender pedal steel on the stage....very cool. I can't remember who was playing it.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Well, about 75 percent of the music was canned. Vocals were all live. That actually has to do with your slot in the show. There are live slots (not very many), and track slots. It would be impossible to do every act live. There's just not enough time with the set changes, and completely different instruments, drum kits, amps, etc. Maybe if everybody played the same stuff like the Opry it would be possible. We were actually set to play live, but we got switched to another slot and wound up playing to track. We went into the studio and cut our own. It makes you feel a little better about it when you're at least faking to yourself. It helps when you get the $1000 check in the mail too.

-t
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I didn't know that Rascal Flatts had steel. I wonder what 'These Days' would sound like with steel? Out of all the RF tunes I've heard so far, I like that one the most.