Who's the road steeler with Willie, Merle, & Ray?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Ganz

Who's the road steeler with Willie, Merle, & Ray?

Post by Jay Ganz »

Just found out they'll be doing a show around here
this summer. Anyone know who will be doing the steel
chores for them on this "Last of the Breed" tour :?:
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

I think Ray Price is using his band, which should mean Mike Cass on steel, and I believe Asleep at the Wheel is the band for Merle and Willie (and the parts with all 3) which should mean Eddie Rivers...

Hard to go wrong with any of that!
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

Pete got it right. That tour was in Chicago about 2 months ago and it was Mike Cass playing with Ray Price and then Eddie Rivers playing with Merle and Willie. Great night of steel playing!

Mark
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Jay, be sure to come and say hi!
We had a ball on the last tour, looking forward to doing it all over again:)
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Willie (Nelson) with a steel player?

Mine is hardly a well-informed point of view, but I can honestly say I've never seen nor heard a steel as part of his stuff, save for "Seven Spanish Angels" with Ray Charles.

Someone enlighten me!
Gavin Dunn

Post by Gavin Dunn »

James, Willie played with Jimmy Day from very early on. Some of the best stuff is from the 70's though. Check out Phases and Stages, or Shotgun Willie.....as good as it gets.
Bernie Liebe

"Willie" with a STEEL!

Post by Bernie Liebe »

A few years ago I picked up a Willy Nelson album titled "Just One Love" and the credits listed the big "E" as steel player along with some other great players. The fact that Buddy Emmons was listed was as much of a factor in buying the CD as was Willie. A nice bunch of real good country with steel on most if not all cuts, give it a listen & enjoy!
G B A! Bernie
Ernest Cawby

Emmons

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Belinda gave me a CD the other day, on it was Ray, Willie, and Merle, with Buddy playing steel.ernie
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

James Cann wrote:Willie (Nelson) with a steel player?

Mine is hardly a well-informed point of view, but I can honestly say I've never seen nor heard a steel as part of his stuff, save for "Seven Spanish Angels" with Ray Charles.

Someone enlighten me!
Most of Willie's recordings in the '60s had Jimmy Day on them. In fact he was in Willie's band till Willie's producer(some guy name Chet Atkins) made Willie fire Jimmy, just days after Chet had Willie fire Johnny Bush from the band.

Also the CD Willie put out last year, of all the Cindy Walker songs, has Buddy Emmons all over it. Very highly recommended. Willie Nelson: You Don't Know Me: Songs Of Cindy Walker

If you want some of Willie's older recordings with Jimmy Day and Buddy on them(a few songs are just Willie and Jimmy by themselves).
You should try to find Willie Nelson - Crazy: The Demo Sessions on SugarHill Records and produced by the forums own Steve Fishell.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Look into the Willie boxed set on Bear Family...there is a lot of great steel playing to be heard... Buddy,Jimmy,Weldon and Pete...
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Duncan Cameron and I were recalling some of our 70's experiences and recalled that John Hugheys pickin on Bloody Mary Morning from Phases and Stages was some of the hottest, fastest, cleanest, and best sounding pedal steel on a record of the day.

Listening to it today I am still in awe of his precise playing on that cut in particular. If I could play that ride correctly once before I die....

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Willie's recent album "Songbird" (produced by Ryan Adams) has some very nice steel by Jon Graboff.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I looked at calenders last week when the York PA date was announced and I don't think AATW is on this leg