New StageOne- I am impressed and pleased

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Van Allen

New StageOne- I am impressed and pleased

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I was recently in the market for an inexpensive PSG to use for fly dates- something I could leave with the band equipment and not be without my U12 Zum for other giggage. (And the ZB ain't leavin' my sight...:evil: )

About the same time as I was looking (and had determined the shallow depth of my pocketbook), Doug Earnest announced he was building the StageOne's licenced from Bruce Zumsteg.

Long story short, I ordered one which arrived this past weekend.

I am duly impressed with this machine. the quality of workmanship and the SOUND of this axe are truly remarkable.

The smooth, tight pedal and knee lever action, tuning accuracy and stability, physical stability (it doesn't go flying sideways when I activate a knee lever) and (here's the word) TONE compare favorably with it's older cousin, my ZumSteel U12.

Any tuning setup change limitations are far outweighed by the suitability to my purpose, an inexpensive, lightweight , playable PSG for travel. I feel confident I could easily get thru almost any gig I need to with this great little machine, and that's all I'm asking of it. And at a fair price, with a hardshell case INCLUDED.

Granted it is NOT a pro model, but it is a darn fine "Economy" steel, and quite suitable for a beginner IMO.
Also, last but not least, Doug has been just a pleasure to do business with.

So, anyway, I just wanted to share my joy.

I'll post pix later if anyone expresses interest
"I just came in here from force of habit... I don't intend to spend too much time in here."
"I've got the 'ZB Jeebies�' !"
<small>1998 Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: 1973 ZB Custom D-10 8&5 :: 2007 StageOne3&4 :: '69 Thinline Tele RI :: Vintage Fender 'Tube' Amplification
www.davevanallen.net :: ::Last Train Home
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

and you probably play it better than most of us too. :D
Mitch Adelman

Stage 1

Post by Mitch Adelman »

I bought a Zum stage one the first year Bruce built them in the mid 80's when Jeff newman introduced them in his Jeffran Newsletter. I used it exclusively for gig for over 15 years and it never failed me and sounded great. The sustain isnt quite as good as a pro model but with bar technique i learned to coax beautiful sweet tone out of it. i've traded three steels since nut never gave up my stage one for a spare !
Dave Van Allen

Initiation Rites...trial by Fire!

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I'm gonna take it out to the Birchmere thursday night for it's debut. Trial by fire!

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 330#946330
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Can't wait for a report on the weekend gig! That's pretty cool to play the Birchmere, Dave! Lots of history in that place, I hope to go there sometime.
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

You'll be there by proxy Doug... :)
Bernie Gonyea

Doug's Stageone Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Hi Dave : Do you mind if I join the band wagon; do you have exclusive bragging rights, when it comes to Economy guitars? Especially when it's detailing all the great qualities which Doug is putting into these Stageone's. I place a triple "DITTO" on every one of your remarks; and it pleases me to see many of these fine guitars coming to the EAST COAST; My new "RED" Stageone arrived this past Saturday. When I first un-packed the guitar; and saw that cute little hard shelled case; I asked myself; could there possibly be a real Steel Guitar inside? But to my amazement, there was the nicest good looking steel guitar that I had looked at in 20 years. [ We don't see many Steel Guitars up here in the Adirondacks ] But, Dave and Doug, I have to agree with all these other steel pickers whom own a Stageone.. I'm tickled to be a part of your "ECONOMY CLUB", I believe this little RED JEWEL will serve me just fine.. Thanks, Doug, for all your help; a real pleasure to do business with you..Regards, Bernie :lol:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Pat Kelly

Post by Pat Kelly »

Don't see any mention of this model on the ZUMSTEEL web site, Dave. How much are these babies?

edit:oops, there's all the info in Doug Earnest's post

its all here
Last edited by Pat Kelly on 10 May 2007 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Allan Todd

Post by Allan Todd »

Bernie Gonyea

Doug's Stageonesteelguitars.com/home

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Go to Doug's web site at
http://stageonesteelguitars.com/home

Doug is there to assist you.. O.K? Bernie
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i am someone that went thru 3 student model steels and i can tell anyone the the Zum stage one is better than any other steel i had before getting a pro model Mullen. for the price the Zum stage one can not be beat
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Earl Foote

Stage One

Post by Earl Foote »

Ordered a red one today!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I'm gonna check these out. I have to go to Europe this summer. I need a light weight axe.
Thanks Dave.
Dennis Schell

Re: Doug's Stageonesteelguitars.com/home

Post by Dennis Schell »

Bernie Gonyea wrote:
Go to Doug's web site at
http://stageonesteelguitars.com/home

Doug is there to assist you.. O.K? Bernie
Kinda looks like a certain "Morrison" huh Bernie? :wink:

Dennis
"Bucks Owin"