Bobbe Seymour, Herby Wallace, Wayne Bridge and...

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Lem Smith

Bobbe Seymour, Herby Wallace, Wayne Bridge and...

Post by Lem Smith »

everyone else at the steel show at the Tombigbee Jamboree is Fulton MS, were simply GREAT!!!

All you guys that have heard Bobbe and Herby know what monster players they are, and tonight was no exception! I hadn't heard Wayne Bridge before, but what an incredible talent. He can forevermore PLAY a steel guitar. Honestly, I feel bad for anyone who wasn't able to attend. Keith Berryhill and Smith Benjamin weren't able to attend, due to some unforeseen circumstances. Without getting into details, I'd ask everyone to remember them and their loved ones when you pray.

Hanging right in there with the "big guns" was Odell Burgess, Danny Lyles, Dale Stacy, Jim Parker, Tommy Oliver and Jay French. I also "tried" to play a set, but due to an impromptu vocal set by Wendell Gurley, featuring Bobbe Seymour backing him up, I wound up sandwiched in after Herby, Bobbe and before Wayne Bridge and then Bobbe doing his own set. To say that was a position of HIGH pressure would be an understatement! I wound up with a case of the jitters, and it wasn't a pretty site! I began to calm down after the first song, but it was still quite nerve wracking to be in the middle of that much steel guitar talent!!! Forumite's "Country" Jack Harper, Andy Jones and "Doc" Rickles sang, and to paraphrase Larry the Cable guy, they can "Git r' done"!!!!!!!!

There were several folks in attendance, and if I didn't get to speak to anyone, I apologize. I know Forumite Skip Cole was there, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk with him.

Thanks to everyone that came out and made our first show a big success. In fact, we have already scheduled another one for the first Saturday in May, 2008. Also, a special thanks to the folks that made up the back up band: Jackie "Hammer" Johnson, Ricky Johnson, Sonny Boone, Jay French, Larry Young, Ben Hall, Mike Brown, Ben Brown, and Thomas Kelly. Anita Davis, and Christy Steele, two of the best vocalists anywhere, absolutely made this show with their performances. I'm sure Bobbe and the rest of the steel guitarists will back me up on that point!

Thanks again everyone, and I apologize if I've ommitted anyone, there were so many fine musicians and singers, that it's hard to remember each name.
Tommy Young

all those BIG_GUNS

Post by Tommy Young »

All Those BUG-GUNS and i was there little ole me and no-one could even see me :( :( all that fun and laughin at ole Jim Parker when he chocked in the middle he just stopped and :lol: so big and said forgot what song he was gonna play yee haaa had a ball tho, even ole BOBBE was at his grin and bear trying to be funny he got so afraid he went out back at all them ms. boys i bet next year he'll practice more before he gets here he was bad suprised at these ole boys :roll: :roll:
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Hey Tommy, I seed you there. :) Good seeing you again.

Lem, great show, enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Everyone did a great job.

Looking foward to next year.

Again enjoyed the show.

Jimmy & Robin
J PARKER

Show

Post by J PARKER »

Hey guys i had a great time at the show and seeing all of the nice folks there. I wont try to start calling names because i will leave someone out. But yes Tommy its great when the rest of the guys have what i was going to play but i didnt remember what i had wrote down for them on that song.This is what keeps this interesting when i finally thought about what the song really was. Great job to all and looking forward to the show next year.The folks that missed this one missed a good -un. Jim
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Jimmy, it was great to finally get to meet you as well. Next time, come prepared to play!

Tommy, some might not have seen you, but I'll bet they saw that super nice Mullen you brought, that Herby played! Man, what a TONE Herby had!!!

Jim, don't sweat it. I know where you're coming from, as I've been right in the middle of a song, and it came time for my part, and I flat out forgot what key I was supposed to be in. :shock: To say that it's an humbling feeling is being extremely generous! :lol:

Wayne Bridge really complimented your playing, to several people. I know he said he was extremely impressed.

I was really glad to see several folks at the show, that I had wanted to contact and let them know about it, but I didn't have their address, phone numbers, etc... so I'm thankful they found out about it and was able to attend.

I'd also like to thank a very special guest that was there. I don't know how I could have left them out of my original post above, but we were honored to have Ms. Kay Bain, from the WTVA "Mornin' Show" with us. Ms. Kay and her late husband, Buddy, are well known around this area, having been involved in music for many years.
Charles Rainwater

Jim Parker

Post by Charles Rainwater »

I knew Jim back In the sixties and seventies, we Played a lot back then, But we went are seperate ways, and It was good seeing him and Doc Rickles for the first time in about 30 years, WOW what a great show, It was well worth the trip from Pine Bluff AR. Just being around a bunch of steel pickers is always fun.
Doc Rickles

Fulton Show

Post by Doc Rickles »

Lem,
It was a joy to have been at this first show and I am looking forward to next year already. Got to meet so many wonderful people and new friends. Finally got to meet Jim Parker and the added suprise of an old friend Chuck Rainwater. All the players were great. Thanks for being so nice to me and my grandson Josh. Thats all he talked about on the way home.He got to play drums with the band. Hope some of ya'll will come to our MSP Show on Aug 3 in Laurel Miss. Billy Carr is really working hard to make it a great first show too.Food was great, folks were gracious and we were blessed.
Blessings to all of you,
Doc
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Wonderful Wife who loves all this stuff.
"Steel Away and Pray Everyday."
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Charles, it was nice meeting you. I really appreciate you traveling from Arkansas to be with us. I know we had folks from MS, AL, TN, TX, and AR make the trip to be with us.

Doc,

I apologize for omitting Josh's name out of the backup musicians. I knew I'd forget someone if I started naming names. He's quite a good drummer, and it looks to me like grandpa's got a fine little partner to go to the steel shows with him! 8)

I'm booked to play on the first show of the MSP, and Anita, the young lady who sang a couple of songs during my set, will be making the trip too. We are both most definitely looking forward to it. I fully believe that the MSP will be a big success, all the way around.

Btw, Doc you do know that you're in prime steel country over there where you live, don't you? Tuscaloose AL. is where the great Jimmy Day was born.
Doc Rickles

Fulton

Post by Doc Rickles »

Lem,
Looking forward to hearing you play more. There are a bunch of fine steelers in Tuscaloosa. Guess Jimmy stirred up the "steeling" spirit around here. We will see ya'll at the Miss show. Anita and Christy were great. Bring all those wonderful people with you.
Thanks again for a great memory.
Doc
GFI Red and Black SD 10 3/4 Keyless, Fender Jazzmaster Head, Special Jensen 12" Speaker Cab, New Hilton Pedal, Epiphone ES 295,60th Aniv 52 Custom Shop Tele,Tacoma Chief CKK9C Koa Wood
Tommy Young

fulton

Post by Tommy Young »

Lem: i sure do appreciate the compliments there my friend as Herby made that old MULLEN come to life and several did feel of it and just maybe mr. Cunningham is gonna buy it. he sure did like the way Herby made it sing. he is supposed to come for a private viewing this wk. and there was several others as in a whole handfull wanted to know about the vocal cord surgery i gave that shiny black MULLEN it was mighty purdy even if it does belong to me ""for now""

JIM: was just pickin on u my friend that was some mighty fine noise comin oughta that Raindrop guitar wasn't bad lookin shiny and black it was those black guitars do sound just a little better don't they

Jimmy C. glad i got to sees ya again just wish i could hear that old P/P make music i herd that u a mighty fine picker u need to be pickin that thang or it might get stopped up

PS: everyone that i got a chance to talk to had a wonderful time even ole sadface (((BOBBE Seymore ))smiled at that ole worn out P/P he keeps draggin round when is he gonna quit draggin that ole wornout thang around i guess we need to take up a collection and help buy him a better guitar that thang is close to 31 years young and is almost worn the edges off it maybe next year will be better for him and he promises not to buy any more women a house he just might can afford a newer one
Doc Rickles

Fulton

Post by Doc Rickles »

Lem, Here is a great moment at the show. This little girls Paw Paw presented her with this guitar and the joy and smile were worth a thousand words.
This is the kind of people steelers are.
See ya in Laurel.Doc
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Well, I was going to make a long post complimenting everyone at the show and the show it's self, but it looks like Lem and all the posters here have done it very well already.

I will add though that it was a very entertaining show , I never saw the first sign of bordom from anyone in the audiance! EVERYONE played great!

Lem shocked me with his abilities, Danny Lyles is always on, Jay French had just bought his guitar from me, had never played it at all, just walked on the stage with it and PLAYED!!!!!

GREAT food, players, band and Wayne,(the money man and producer of the show) played lead guitar and made sure all had a wonderful time.

Although he couldn't stay, great guitarest "Ben Hall" played with several acts on the first half of the show, wow, what an incredible player!

Most of all it was great to see old friends, Herby was wonderful as always. What a classic old pro. He played everyones favorite songs, yep! All country (almost) Ha!. I Couldn't get his wife "Bunny" to sing.
Herby's stroke of a couple of years ago has slowed him down (he says) but it seems everyone loves him even more, and appreciates his playing as much as ever. I do, and always will!

What can I say about Wayne Bridge??????? Whew! Nothing to say because words don't cover it. This guy is a crazy man! Incredible player and entertainer. I've known Wayne for forty years and he has amazed me on lead guitar, AND on steel for all of them! Plus being the wonderful nut that he is!

Lem, you and Wayne (The Tom Bigbee Jamboree owner) did a great job with this show and I'm looking forward to doing in again in '08!

The backup singers, also played guitars and subbed on drums, were the shock of the show also! Very talented,,,,,,,, VERY talented! Chris Steele, your performance of "Crazy" saved my show! Very good job!

Wish we could have this steel show every weekend!

Bobbe
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Who's the geek wearing the Carr's Steel Shop cap?
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Andy,

Jim Parker tells me that it's some guy he picked up hitchhiking when he was headed to the show Saturday. :lol:
Billy Carr
Restricted

show

Post by Billy Carr »

Good looking hat on that ole head. I'm saving you a MSP cap Andy. Got some navy ones that'll look good with your grey MSP polo. See ya!
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Lem , We really enjoyed the show Sat. , great music from all involved . Sorry i missed talking to you. I noticed you were busy getting things set up most of the time. I did catch your set and you and your Bud sounded outstanding. Good to see some familiar faces on stage too ; Dale Stacy , Danny Lyles , Mr Lyles, Jim Parker, and some that the names have escaped me . Herby and Bobbe are always a great pair of steel kings (not the amp), Both are guys that have made the steel as popular as it is in todays' music.
My pal Tommy Young is to be commended for his work and inovations with the mods for steels. Yep , i could hear the difference in the bite of the Mullen before and after the surgery. They sure cut through the atmosphere alright.
Good to meet Country Jack , Chuck Rainwater, and Ben and the other folks that i crossed paths with. My friends Jim Taylor and Randy Smith also asked me to say congratulations to all of you that planned, sponsored , and participated in the show for a job very well done. The young ladies that sang lead and harmony vocals were right on target as were the guys that were the backup band.
Hope to be there for the next jam sessions which will keep getting better and drawing a lot of interest. Next time i may be brave enough to bring my steel and play the song that i've learned , you know, it's called " Triad".:D God bless you all -----Skip
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

I left out a friend of mine that i was glad to see at the Jam , Dr Rickles. I apologize for my feeble memory, Doc, very good to see you again , my best to your family. :D

Skip
Herby Wallace

Show

Post by Herby Wallace »

I just wanted to thank Lem Smith and everyone else involved with this show for giving me the chance to try and play. As many of you know my playing is still not up to par after the stroke I had about a year ago. It is improving some, but I get very frustrated with myself when I miss things that I normally wouldn't have missed. Of course, I made mistakes before the stroke, but I make even more now, but again I appreciate everyone giving me a chance to play and bearing with me. I also want to say that I do a lot of steel guitar shows around the country and this was one of the best turnouts for a first time show I have attended, so I think they are on the right track. I understand it will be an annual event now, so I am planning on coming back next year and hopefully my playing will be a little better. Also, I must thank Tommy Young for loaning me one of his great Mullen guitars. I don't what he does with his mod, but the guitar sounded great. For those interested, it was basically and HWP model with Tommy's mod.

Thanks again,

Herby Wallace
Doc Rickles

Herbie at Fulton

Post by Doc Rickles »

Herbie,
I heard you in Montgomery at the ASGA show and you were great. I heard you in St Louis and you were great,just a little slower. In Fulton it was great.You still have the best touch and melodic flow of anybody playing. So smooth and full it catches your ear and heart, and brings that "thing" which drives steelers to play alive, and on a new search to find how you do it. Yes you've had(past tense)a stroke but you have the stroke and touch on steel we're all praying and practicing to find. We accept your apology for the stroke.Now spend all your time and expertise playing your fantastic tones and those beautiful sounds. We love everything you do.
Everything you play, Can't wait to hear you again.
Blessings to you and your precious wife.
Doc
Tommy Young

steel music

Post by Tommy Young »

Doc i sure wanted to hear that nice BLACK SHINY guitar u had over there and it was my pleasure to meet you and all these great guy's from the forum that i talk with and some that i have dealt with in person Skip Cole, sure did enjoy the comradery and i think that RANDY Smith was doing all he could to see what i did during that throat surgery I performed on that MULLEN he was truly amazed at the tone hahaha J.E. cunninghaam it sure has been a while since i had talked with him there was all these great guy's there ya'll missed all the fun we had TOMMY
J PARKER

show

Post by J PARKER »

Well Tommy, Herby sounded great and it was so good to see him again. Dont know what the mod is but it works well it seems. I will still say the folks that missed this one missed agreat show. I am making my plans to be back there next year with everyone. Oh BTW i have already told Doc not to sing as well next time where i wont look as bad. Got to have a little humor. Jim
Tommy Oliver

Post by Tommy Oliver »

Lem
Congratulations on the show and thanks for inviting me
It was great to meet every one and I would like to apologize for having to leave early but I had a 5:00 rehearsal for a 7:00 show at Muscle Shoals High School. Thanks to all the players that helped me on my part (hope I didn't embarrass anyone besides myself :oops: ) they were great, As were all the players.

Sorry I didn't get to stay for all of the show it was definitly my loss

Again thanks and congratulations

(Sorry for the late post, forgot my forum password) :roll:

Tommy Oliver
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Tommy Oliver! You sounded GREAT! And I mean GREAT! Don't ever forget it!
Your buddy,
Bobbe
Tommy Young

Bobbe seymour, Herby Wallace,Wayne ,Wayne Bridge

Post by Tommy Young »

I would like to thank all that played as it was very enjoyable day the playing was great by all and especially Herby for doing such a fine job playing even after his stroke, he hasn't let it get him down and is getting better each time i hear him since that has happened as i herd him in St. Louis right after the stroke and he has gotten his Tone back for sure and is to be commended greatly for his efforts they are working HERBY keep it up my friend.You are getting there!! ALSO I would like to thank Hammer Johnson, Lem Smith, and the Tombigbee people all for letting me have the space to show and promote my guitars,and Have all this fun hope to see you guy's next year at least TOMMY
Mel Stephen

Post by Mel Stephen »

IT WAS MY PRIVILEGE TO ATTEND THE 1ST TOMBIGBEE STEEL GUITAR JAMBOREE IN FULTON, MS MAY 5 2007. HERBY WALLACE, BOBBE SEYMORE,WAYNE BRIDGE WHAT AN INCREDIBLE COMBINATION ALSO THERE WERE MANY OTHER GREAT AREA PLAYERS. THIS SHOW WILL ALWAYS BE ON MY SCHEDULE TO ATTEND. MEL STEPHEN BEAUMONT, TEXAS