okie Steeler Wayne Newton

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buster Sharp

okie Steeler Wayne Newton

Post by Buster Sharp »

Anyone ever met this guy?from vinta i think
worked for Frenchie Burk and Jana Jay that I know of.
I would love to get in touch,lost track of him years ago...thanks for any help
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

hi, Buster---
i met wayne when he was playing at the 300 club here in Enid, Okla. i had just got my first pedal steel and heard there was a player at that club so went to listen and look and eventually got acquainted with him... at that time he was living in Wichita, Kan---i think. he was a darn good player!!! he had a d-10 pp emmons at the time. last info i had was he had quit playing a long time ago and was working at a motel somewhere---but don't remember where---maybe in Missouri someplace. Jack
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

It's a small world Jack! That is the same club where Rick Sharp introduced me to him. The last time I saw Wayne was at a club we were working in Woodward: The Palimino. Wayne stopped in one day while we were rehearsing. It was around the time that Haggard released "Let's Chase Each Other Around The Room Tonight". I rememeber Wayne and I compared notes on the licks Norm Hamlett was playing on that song. That was the last time I saw or spoke to Wayne. I've thought about him from time to time and wondered what had ever become of him. Wayne was a good steel player.

Tommy Minniear
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Interesting factoid: the Las Vegas superstar singer, Wayne Newton, was also a steel guitar player before his singing career took off bigger. Go figure. ;)
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

This must be a different Wayne Newton, since Wayne Newton the singer comes from Virginia and was taught to play the steel guitar by Elmer Ridenour, perhaps in the 50's.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Buster......"Fig" was indeed a good player. I met him at Roy and Candy's Music in Tulsa 25 uears ago. I would suggest you call Roy Ferguson at his store and i imagine that he will know more recent info on him. Say "hi" to Tommy Rials for me.