Stutter switch?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

I totally support Ray's comments.

The steel guitar is a musical instrument which can produce beautiful music in the hands of a skilled player.

Jerry Byrd did this on very simple 6 and 7 string lap steels. Speedy West showed us that wild emotions could be demonstrated by the stuttering bar and the slap-bang wah-wah (aka boo-wah)plus many screams and other noises that he made fit the mood of the tune being played. They used only the basic controls on the guitar plus their skilled hands to get these sounds.

The artist uses the musical instrument to communicate his or her feelings to the listener. This is best done by not separating the artist from the instrument by added-on devices.

(As I am writing this I am listening to Merle Travis playing 'Blue Smoke', just the artist and his guitar - WOW!)

Thanx,
Jim
Nathan Hernandez

Post by Nathan Hernandez »

How many people have actually sat down and listend to Speedys recordings? Not just the tracks he did for singing artest. This topic also wasnt about how well a player plays with or with out any modern day gadget, but how a certian sound was made in the
"OLD DAYS" There is deffinetly a diferance from the
"Boo Waa" effect or a "Bar Chatter" effect and the "Stutter" effect!
some songs that Speedy Recorded with thes effects!!
Lover- Boo Waa
Rail Roading- Bar Chatter(on the intro)
This Aint the Blues- Boo Waa and Bar Chatter
Sleep Walkers Lullaby- Stutter
Flipping the Lid- Boo Waa
Stratosphere Boogie Boo Waa
Caffeine Patrole- Stutter and Boo Waa
West of Samoa also has some great effects in it as well!!!!
There is a deffinate "signal cut" in the songs with the stutter effect, but my ears could be faleing me!
Bryan Bradfield

Post by Bryan Bradfield »

Nathan -

Thank you for analyzing these Speedy tunes. I'll have to go back and listen to the tunes with your conclusions in my hand. This general topic has certainly raised some blood pressure in the past, and resulted in some angry words, it seems. However, I cannot ever recall someone having the patience and courage to post their opinions about specific tunes.

Well done!
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

Gosh, I just was curious about the use of that stutter effect on the old recordings. It certainly does sound like a switch of some sort is being used.

I guess this topic does get pretty heated.

Thanks for all your responses (and opinions).

Mark
Andy Zynda

Yipes!

Post by Andy Zynda »

Man, that's the first time I ever heard/saw Noel Boggs.
Now I understand the reverence.
Just like magic.
-andy z-
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

I wonder if the discussion gets heated over at the trombone and trumpet forums when they're talkin about muting with a sordino! After all, that's what Speedy and guys were imitating with a boo wah effect! ;)
Nathan Hernandez

Post by Nathan Hernandez »

I heard they beat each other with music stands!!!
And at the Harmonica forume they get pretty heated about accordian effects and have pilloe fights!!!!
I wish I was gonna be in Green Bay Jussie!!!!
I hope you guys have a great time!!!!