new cd: jeff lang w/chris whitley

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Vince Luke

new cd: jeff lang w/chris whitley

Post by Vince Luke »

Hi all,

I just picked up Dislocation Blues, a recently-released joint effort by Chris Whitley and Jeff Lang. Lang plays steel on about half the tracks (acoustic, 'amplified acoustic,' and electric).

Sounds good so far--some Whitley songs, some Lang songs, some covers of Dylan, Robert Johnson. It's got a raw, spare sound overall. Kinda like Whitley's Weed, if you're familiar with that, although this one's got more accompaniment.

For what it's worth to ya,
Vince
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

8) Chris Whitley was a great talent...I don't have anything of Jeff Lang's yet & will give this one a shot.
Peter Cummins

Post by Peter Cummins »

G'day Fellows,
Cedar Grove is a great CD of Jeffs, a lot of Weissenborn & some Lap steel on the disk.he has a Fantastic DVD released - Jeff Lang Live at The Basement, fantastic Weissenborn & acoustic guitar set on that one. It is hard to find over here.
Here is a link to Jeffs Cedar Grove CD on Ebay.
There are afew other items of Jeffs work on Aussie Ebay at the moment.
I like the sound of the Whitley/Lang collaboration, I will go buy it, as you cant have too many Steel guitar albums can you
Pete
Vince Luke

Post by Vince Luke »

Peter--

Thanks for the suggestions for further listening. I heard Lang play live once at a festival, but the only recording I had (prior to the Whitley one) was the one track on Legends of the Incredible Lap Steel Guitar.

I wasn't sure how much steel/Weiss he plays on his albums since he plays other instruments also, so I appreciate the recommendation.

Vince
Peter Cummins

Post by Peter Cummins »

No worries mate,
Here is the link to Jeffs website.
http://www.jefflang.com.au/vines.htm
later,
Pete