Question about Jeffran "Up from the Top"

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Chase

Question about Jeffran "Up from the Top"

Post by Matt Chase »

Hi everyone,

I recently bought copies of the three UFTT courses offered by Jeffran (A&B Pedals, F Lever and D Lever)and have worked my way through most of the A&B course, with pretty good results.

My question is this: In doing this A&B course and flicking through the books for the other two courses, it seems that no mention is made of minor chords or minor chord phrases. Is this material actually covered in the DVDs? I've only been playing a couple of months and since I've started concentrating on this course I seem to be getting rusty on the little bit of minor-chord knowledge I had taught myself when I first got this thing.

Btw, I know my theory pretty well, and know that any minor chord can be built from the II, III or VI of a corresponding major scale, but it would be pretty strange if Maj and 7th phrases are all that is covered in 10-odd hours of video tuition.

Cheers,

Matt
Bruce Etter

Post by Bruce Etter »

A separate course called "Minor Chord Connection" is sold.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Matt, You may already know this stuff, but here is a simple minor chord finder to get you started...
The A pedal alone will give you the relative minor chord for whatever fret you are on. For example, if you have your bar on the C fret, pressing the A pedal only gives you an A minor chord, the relative minor, or vi. chord in the key of C.
Engaging the B and C pedals together gives you a ii minor chord, the D minor chord if you have your bar on the C fret. Using the knee lever that lowers the E strings will give you a iii minor chord, an E minor chord if you have your bar on the C fret.
That is a simple start for finding the minor chords you are looking for, hope this helps...
Larry J.
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

Here's how I play most of my chords for the G scale at the 3rd fret. Play these chords with any of the major string groups - 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3. You can transpose this to other keys. For example, moving them all up 5 frets would give you a C scale and it's corresponding chords. Down 2 frets would give you an F scale's chords.

G - 3
Am - 3BC
Bm - 3D or 5BC
C - 3AB
D - 5AB (or 3BD for a D7)
Em - 3A
F#° - 4F
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
Matt Chase

Post by Matt Chase »

Thanks guys for the info - very succinct.

I'm still a bit perplexed as to why minor chord phrases aren't mentioned in these DVDs. By the same logic he could have had nothing but major phrases, becasue the V chord is just built off the fifth step of the major scale.
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

Pedal steel is a beast of an instrument to learn. I suspect that Jeff considered that in his lessons and tried to keep it as basic as possible while still being "complete" with the major chords.

Or possibly, he wanted to be able to make more money by making another video that covered only minor chords. I never cared for his personality much but he was clearly an intelligent human.
Gary Shepherd

www.16tracks.com
Tom Mossburg

UFTT

Post by Tom Mossburg »

I can honestly say that I have never felt that I did not get my money's worth from any of Jeff's stuff. I have purchased a lot. In my opinion his stuff was, and still is, the best. Regardless of personality or anything else the guy knew how to teach and his material was always first class. He set the standard for what instruction can be and there is a vacuum that needs filled with his passing.

I laid off playing steel for about 12 years and when I picked it up again, I bought the UFTT series and then minor chord connection. I went through the courses in that order and feel it was a good decision to do it that way. I felt that it filled in most of the questions I had and gave me the basis for going forward. I found that the courses taught me how to think about playing rather than just what to play.

As far as minor chords go, "The Minor Chord Connection" covers that pretty well. I believe that Jeff did this course before UFTT. This could have easily been the fourth installment in the series.
Nick Anderson

UFTT

Post by Nick Anderson »

Since there is a another "D" string thread on the forum, I thought I would ask here, since it pertains to UFTT.

Is the "D" string covered in any of the UFTT series?

Also, is it covered in the Minor Chord Connection?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Nick
Tom Mossburg

Post by Tom Mossburg »

Nick
I'm not sure but I don't recall that it is covered in the UFTT or the Minor Chord courses. I could be wrong. I play a universal so I haven't paid much attention to the D string stuff. The UFTT course covers first the AB pedals. Primarily it covers chord positions and scales and chord movement. First with the AB Pedals then it introduces the D lever into the scale. In the last course it introduces the F lever building on the other two. The 2nd part of the F lever class runs through seventh runs and scales to show you how to get around. Some people may find the UFTT classes rather basic. I knew a lot about what the classes covered but I found that it just pulled it all together for me. It gives you a good foundation of where stuff is on the guitar and the relationship between the positions.
Ernest Cawby

Jeff's Teaching

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I own almost everthing Jeff has written, I have not been thru it all yet, but I have a lifetime left to cover it. I owe what I know to Jeff, Had it not been for his lessons I think I would have given up years ago.
He was a great teacher and we have his lessons thanks to Fran for keeping it open.
Jeff was oppinionated but he had knowledge to go with it.
Where did my spell check go.????

ernie
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

No one ever laid it out like Jeff did. The Minor chord connection will get to that. Most courses "assume" that you already know a lot, and Jeff went from the ground up, and covered so much over all the courses that it will take a person years to do. If you don't find what you want, go back to "the minor chord connection" and even many of the other courses (where he continues to cover minors, 7th, etc..). There was a limit to what Jeff could do in a 2 hour CD. Had a great experience in going back to the AB Up to the Top course recently; found a couple of great runs I had totally forgot. Starting on the next one (again)..I am excited!!
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Most of what I know about pedal steel guitar I got from Jeff Newman. But, at a price. I paid him for everything I know. As far as a teacher he was probably the best, but as far as a friend, his personality was such, that I could never have formed a friendship with him.
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

I go to a great doctor, none better in my opinion, but his personality is such that we would never become close friends. In fact, I don't have much of a relationship with the person that cuts my hair, but I do get a good haircut, so don't plan on changing. Jeff spent his lifetime learning and putting his teaching materials and lessons together. I just wish someone else would come along with the quality of courses, materials, and personal instruction that Jeff did. He made it a full time business to supply a need, and did a great job. Personally I liked his professionalism, and got where I really did like and care for Jeff. I paid for the materials and instruction, and have never regretted it for one moment. He was opinionated, could be a smart a..., but then you always knew where he stood, just like a lot of my other close friends. I did not expect a "discount" or ask for one. He had to make a living in order to be able to spend the time, effort and money it took to put out the quality materials and instruction. I wish he was still there doing it. I miss him greatly.
Last edited by Bowie Martin on 4 May 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd

Post by Gary Shepherd »

I agree with EVERYTHING that's been said above.
Gary Shepherd

www.16tracks.com