Bobby Black

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

David Wright wrote:I talked to Bobby a few weeks ago, he said hes got a computer now.. I truly hope hes figured out how to read the Steel Forum such a Great person as well as a Great Player....
I don't know, David...we might run off a player who is as great as Bobby Black who is also such a gentleman... a number of the Hall of Famers seem to steer clear of this joint after they hang here for awhile! :wink:
Mark
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Mike,

It will be good to see you, and we can go to the house and talk Bigsbys. Give me a little notice. Probably David Phillips will want to come by too.

Joe
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

The Commander aka George Frayne is quick to say that when Bobby joined The Airmen it immediately took the entire band to a new level. Nowadays, I play many dates with The Commander and it's an honor to me as Bobby was one of my influences in the early 70s and one of my favorites. What a tremendous, diversified player !!!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hi Tiny,

All true about Bobby, but the Cody steel chair is in excellent hands with you at the reins. I've never seen you play live, but have seen clips and heard records of you with Cody, and with Gene Watson. You're a top notch, interesting picker, and the Ol' Commander is lucky to have you.

Joe
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Hi Joe... thanks for your kind words and may I state that I really enjoy your playing as well.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ditto and more...you can't play around northern cal forever and not love bobby; the player and the man....
and tiny..i knew it was you on 'got no reasons now..' i still play an old blue zum like the one you had then...love your stuff!
David Siegler

Post by David Siegler »

We San Francisco Bay Area folks have an unusual opportunity coming up to see Bobby, Joe Goldmark and David Phillips at the end of the end of this month at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. I'm really looking forward to it!

Pedal Steel Guitar Extravaganza
In the Steel of the Night: with The Saddle Cats featuring Bobby Black, Big Lou's Polka Casserole featuring David Phillips, and Joe Goldmark and the Seducers
Thursday, May 31, 2007

http://www.thefreight.org/2007/0705-may ... 70531.html

I had the pleasure of meeting Bobby (everything said about him is true!) at the Pt. Townsend Slide and Steel workshop last summer and filmed a fair amount of tunes and jams in various situations. I've got some great footage of Bobby Black, Darick Campbell, Sally Van Meter, Dan Tyack, Orville Johnson, Mike Dowling and others playing together in various situations. At some point I hope to put some of it up on YouTube if the participants are willing.