Steel Show Vienna VA May 12 & 13th John Hughey

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Chuck Campbell

Steel Show Vienna VA May 12 & 13th John Hughey

Post by Chuck Campbell »

Announcing the Northern Virginia Steel Show, jam and Dance to be held Saturday May 12th from 10AM till Midnight and Sunday May 13th, 2007 from 10Am till 6PM at the Vienna Moose 9616 Court House Rd Vienna,VA. Special guest will be John Hughey The show will be sponsored by the Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Assoc (MASGA). We are trying a slightly different format that will include a Dance from about 8PM till who knows. Also John has agreed to play for the dance backing lots of guest singers kind of like the old Midnight Jamboree. Good Luck John. There will be lots of local and out of state players and venders tables. Players list and updates will be posted as they develop. Motel accommodations can be made at the Vienna Wolf Trap Motel, Vienna, VA phone 703-281-2330. Be sure to mention the Steel Show for a rate of $66. A great buffet will be available Saturday evening at a bargain price. For information or to get on the players list, call me, Chuck Campbell, at 703-753-7551
Last edited by Chuck Campbell on 9 Apr 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Cisco

Excellent!

Post by John Cisco »

I missed last year. Where exactly is the show/dance? :P
John P. Cusack a.k.a John Cisco
Carter D-10, Profex II, Fender Steel King

*Small change can often be found under seat cushions in taxicabs*
Chuck Campbell

Post by Chuck Campbell »

John, it will be at the Vienna Moose 9616 Court House Rd Vienna VA. Thanks, I'll edit the post.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Looking forward to seeing you again, Chuck.
John Cisco

Thanks Chuck.....

Post by John Cisco »

I've done a bunch of gigs there and know some of the local folk. I'll be there on Saturday. Any seminars going on? I'm looking forward :D to it.
John P. Cusack a.k.a John Cisco
Carter D-10, Profex II, Fender Steel King

*Small change can often be found under seat cushions in taxicabs*
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

We have lots of fun things planned for this weekend so if you are in the area come on out and bring your wives for the "Dance" on Saturday night. It will prove to be probably one of the best dances you can have these days. And if you will...bring another couple...it's going to be that fun. There will be lots of jam time during the day Saturday with a little surprise I know you will enjoy. As Chcuk mentioned, this is a Mid_Atlantic Steel Guitar Association sponsored event. We have another MASGA event planned for June in North Carolina as well. We will post details of that jam/show as it gets closer. This Moose Lodge is a well designed and enormous place and the food is without question the best around so come with an empty tummy.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Ray Walker, Pres.
Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
www.masga.org
Last edited by Ray Walker on 12 Apr 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian LeBlanc

Seminar ??

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

I'll second the "any chance of a seminar" thing...
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Looks like another fun show lining up. Chuck always does a great job of organizing this. Make your plans now!
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Wrong Vienna for me... :(

Kind Regards, Walter
Kenny Drake

Post by Kenny Drake »

^ :P Chuck, I wouldn't miss it for anything. Really looking forward to it!
Terry McCumbee

Post by Terry McCumbee »

TTT for a GREAT SHOW Coming up
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

What a coincidence!!! I'm working a club called Sweethearts on the 12th that isn't too far from there!!! Hopefully I'm not working during the day, I'm going to make the effort to stop by and check it out before going to work that night.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, I've almost got my feet back on the ground from working with John and all the other legends in Pa this past weekend, and I'm really looking forward to Chuck's show in Vienna.

Folks, if you're anywhere in the region, make a point to be with us in Vienna. I know we're gonna have a bunch of fun.

John, I forgot to get my copy of the DVD, I'll get it VA.

See ya there,
Jim
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Chris, you haven't made the past 3 shows, I'll sign you up anyway :P
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

I was at the show where you played at the Birchmere, how long ago was that? And will you be playing at this one? I'd LOVE to hear you pickin' again.
Gary Lee Gimble

Chris, the Birchmere was at least 4 years ago. BTW, I'm not the guy you wanna hear at Chuck's deal, John Hughey will be up front and accounted for all weekend. Cancel your gig now, J H doesn't come up to our neck of the woods very often, hardly at all. :( The last time he was here was at Dean's show, 4 years ago?
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Yep, Brint and I were sitting right down front to watch him play at the Birchmere (what a wonderful picker, can do something as simple as play a melody and just KILL you). And you know I can't cancel, I'm working for Jay that night!!
Gary Lee Gimble

play a melody and just KILL you
Having played banjo for too many years, it just about has....kilt me..kilt me

Get Brint to fill in fur ya, he doesn't come out to the shows anyway or PAUL's jams. wuss.....but he sure posts a lot
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

We are in the final stages of the plans now and want to accomidate everyone. We are expecting a lot of folks for the jams and the dance. We have arranged for a super buffet that will not leave you hungry I promise. These folks can cook. If you are planning on attending it would be helpful if you would let us know here so that we can consider that in the events that we have planned as well as the amount of food needed. Unlike motels...these folks are preparing the food "just for us". Just post on here. Personally I can't hardly wait to hear "you" again Gary. You got that style that I really like a lot. Now I would like to go over a little of the format for this event. We will get started promptly at 9:00 o'clock am on Saturday morning. You will be able to jam without or with a band...and boy what a band. Both will be a blast because we are going to do it in a way that everyone will have a lot of fun and cutting up a little. This will go on throughout the day with drawings and things all along the path. The dance will start at 7:00 that evening and we will allow folks from the outside to come into this dance. The cost for attending just the dance is $10 per head. It will bring back good times and great memories. John Hughey will perform the first set and has agreed to "fly by the seat of his pants". After that set it's you guys and there will be four players per set. It will be just like setting in with a band at any dance and there will be four steelers per set. It will go into the night. There will be some 50/50 drawings along the way as well and some great music and vocalists. It is going to be a great day and a fantastic night. Both Chuck and myself have been talking to and receiving e-mails from a lot of folks with plans to be there and we want to make sure that "everyone" who wants to be.. is a part of this event. Again this is a Mid-Atalantic Steel Guitar Association event. As the President of MASGA I want to do my best to insure that in the end.. you walk away you will all say what a blast it was. Chuck and I have been planning our hind ends off because he feel's exactly the same as me. The cost of this event for the members is $10 per day per player.(your wife is free) We have decided to try something new with this event and have decided to extend that rate to the Non-members as well. We do this because I think if you come out and join in and support this event many of you will decide to join our organization. There is very little monies to be made by putting on events like this for the steel players and when we just "break even" we are happy. Neither Chuck nor myself receive a dime for making all of this possible. It is the fellowship and friendships we have developed in the steel guitar community over the years that drive us. We would like to make these events possible from time to time for the eastern seaboard steel players so please show your support and attend. We look forward to this. Don't forget to let us know as soon as you can. Chuck has provided you with his phone number earlier in the post and you may also call me direct at 919-524-1774

See you all in Virginia

Ray Walker President
Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
www.masga.org
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

up
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Ok, it's looking like I work during the day until 3:30. I'm going to try to get to the club and set up early so I can stop by and listen to Mr. Hughey and hopefully a couple of other pickers before I have to go back to work. Hope to see you guys there!!!!!
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

look forward to seeing you Chris
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

We will be allowing vendors to bring their wares and have the use of a booth(table) at no cost to you. They will be on a first come first serve basis so if you would like for us to hold one for you please e-mail me at rwalker5@nc.rr.com. Other folks who would like to bring guitars or equipment that they would like to sell at this event are also free to do so and we will try to accomidate space for you.

Thank You,

Ray Walker
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Last years show in Vienna was great! I am hoping to be free that weekend.
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

I hope you can make it too Bo. Look forward to seeing you there

Ray