Bobby Black

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Glave

Bobby Black

Post by Fred Glave »

Just re-purchased an old Commander Cody CD "Hot to Trot" I really like Bobby Black. Some really straight forward classic sounding steel being played there.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

I can't find the credits here, but you can't blame Bobby for some of the more horrible-intonation tracks. Pretty sure "Seeds and Stems" and "what's the Matter Now" at least were the "West Virginia Creeper".

Anyone know how he got his name?

-eric

p.s. Bobby was the first steel player I saw live. I think I was intimidated for the next thirty years :)
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

"Live From Deep In The Heart of Texas" by CC is not only one of the best live albums ever, but is right up there with "Panther Hall" for live steel--Bobby Black absolutely smokes.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

He's listed as Bobby "Blue" Black on the album. Are there any other bands, or artists that he's is noted for other than Commander Cody?
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

From the Commander Cody site: http://www.commandercody.com/Story.html

"Bobby Black was one of the best pedal Steel players in the world, when we met him playing with his brother Larry, in a San Jose bar called Cowtown. We found out they had a Wed. nite talent contest that paid $100 to each weeks's winner. Bill kirchen went down and won, followed by Andy Stein, (who had moved out from NY to play fiddle), Billy C, and by the time John Tichy won, they had figured us out.
After firing the W .Va. Creeper for being too creepy, we hired Bobby and recorded our second album, Hot Licks, Cold Steel and Trucker's Favorites, in Larry Black's studio in San Mateo. "

Being into rock, The reason I got interested in Pedal Steel was because of Bobby Black, The West Va Creeper, Rusty Young, Sneaky Pete and of course Jerry Garcia

I've seen them all and they are all amazing
Carter S-12U, Sho-Bud LGD (80's), Fender Jazz King, Korg Pandora Toneworks PX4D, Modulus Q6, Ampeg B5R, Lapstick Travel Guitar mod to lapsteel
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

The West Virginia Creeper was Steve Davis, a great guy (and not creepy). He was pretty laid back which might explain the nickname. Back in the early 70's, Lucky Oceans and I were just starting, and we used to get licks and tips from Steve. Regretably, the first album has some out of tune steel on it, but it's still a great album. The ironic thing was that Steve had an amazing ear, and could always pick a difficult chord out of the air. The last I heard, many years ago, he had given up steel and was playing Brazilian bossa nova acoustic guitar.

I know this is a post about Bobby, and we in the Bay Area think of him as a national treasure. Not only is he the best picker around, but he's the nicest guy also.

Joe
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Are there any other bands, or artists that he's is noted for other than Commander Cody?
I think he plays with the Lost Weekend band in the Bay area (or at least he used too, as did Vance Terry--wow!) I also seem to recalll he played briefly with Asleep at the Wheel (?)

Bobby Black is also my favorite player to listen to. So many gems among the Airmen stuff, but the double live album c. 1976(we've got a live one here) stands out IMHO.
Dan[/quote]
Durham, NH
dbmCk mUSIC
Dennis Schell

Post by Dennis Schell »

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote: So many gems among the Airmen stuff, but the double live album c. 1976(we've got a live one here) stands out IMHO.
Dan
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the album that turned me on to Bobby Black too....

Nice guy? You bet! Once back in the late 80's, my pal Ray Morrison and I were down in the bay area being tourists. Ray called Bobby on a whim and Bobby invited us to his gig that weekend. Swell guy!

Dennis

"Mama hated diesel" What a great CC&HLPA tune...(sez this ol' gearjammer 8) )
Last edited by Dennis Schell on 23 Apr 2007 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Bucks Owin"
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

In the past few years, I have seen Bobby play with Lost Weekend about four or five times, along with a few other gigs.

One of the nicest fellas I have ever met, period.

And just a consumate steel guitarist, either on pedal or twelve string non-pedal.

He is truly one of a relatively small number of living players that plays the instrument the way it is meant to be played.
Mark
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Ditto to all compliments here.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

nbbnb
Last edited by Mike Black on 13 May 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

I've only seen Bobby with Lost Weekend lately, though I ran into him last year when Asleep at the Wheel's Bob Wills tribute show was in San Francisco.

I'm still nostalgic for the days when Berkeley, California was a hotbed of country music and on most weekends you could catch Commander Cody with Bobby and Asleep at the Wheel with Lucky Oceans -- four blocks apart.

-eric

p.s. that Bigsby is one fine geetar...
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

I don't think the steel is the only instrument that had some pitch problems on "Hot to Trot". It's still a lot of fun to listen to. I'm going to start picking up more of Bobby's recordings.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

You all should read an interview with Bobby in "STEEL GUITARIST" magazine (January 1979, No.1).

The article is "Tales Of The Ozone". Maurice Anderson is on the cover.

I'd be glad to scan and post, but don't know how. It might take up too much bandwidth, tho it's only 3-4 pages long.

If someone can run the procedure by me, and if b0b and everyone thinks it's viable, I'll be glad to post it.

For a teaser, Bobby had a rough go, at first, when he hit Nashville to try his hand at studio work after his initial quitting CCATLPA. Pete Drake helped him out quite a bit.

It's an excellent read and insight into many things.

Well, let me know.
Chip
Williams U-12 8X5; Keyless; Natural Blonde Laquer.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

b0b still has those magazines for sale. :wink: They are all great reading, and the money goes to a good cause!
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

I can't say enough about Bobby Black. He is one great talentd player. A master musician as it were. But just as important, he is one of the nicest people in our business. I always enjoy my time around him ,witch isn't alot, but I would love to work with him more. I do hope all is well with Bobby and Bobby if you see this e-mail me. Bobby [Thats a lot of Bobby's]
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hey Mike,

I didn't know you found Bobby's Bigsby. How cool is that?! As a lot of you know, Bobby is also playing a number of non-pedal gigs with his Hawaiian and Western Swing (The Saddle Cats) bands. He still plays pedal on his country gigs.

Joe
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

In 1969 I moved to San Jose, and had a real rough time finding venues to play, being I was not yet 21. I ran into Bobby Black at a ghost-town type of attraction, I think it was called Frontier Town, and he was so nice, even letting me know of a rock band in Berkeley looking for a steel player (which I declined.... damn it).

A year or two later I was in a hippy western swing band (Richard Casanova on Fiddle) named Tokepela and we routinely shared venues with The Wheel (before first album was released) and Cody. I'll never forget those great days of me and Lucky getting steel guitar "hints" from Bobby during breaks in the music... I was one lucky kid :)

I still see Bobby now and then at Western Swing Association gigs, and last the San Jose jam... he'll always be a great inspiration to me as a person, and a player.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.
Art Beard

Hoyt Henry and the Black Brothers

Post by Art Beard »

1967-1968 I was stationed in San Jose training reserves. Spent quite a few nights listening to Hoyt Henry and the Black Brothers in "Cowtown". That does bring back some memories. Art
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Well, I first heard Bobby Black through the records that Tom Bradshaw produced on him years ago titled "Honky Cat," and "Bobby Black Record Club Selection California Steel Guitar Freedom". Immediately upon hearing those two L.P.s (weren't no CDs then ya'll), I knew he was a great player and I've been a fan ever since.

About that same time there was a concert in my area and they brought in "Asleep At The Wheel." I had no idea who would be that group's steel player. I had only heard of Lucky Oceans and when I got to that concert. I saw it was Bobby Black. I told the guy I went along with that we was in for real treat. It was a super show by Big Ray Benson and Bobby shined on the steel guitar all the way.

I've never met Bobby Black in person but hope to someday. I will always admire his steel guitar artistry.

GOD bless!

Terry Wood
Bob Bernhard

Post by Bob Bernhard »

Here's a link to Saddle Cats with Bobby Black. Check it out!
http://www.saddlecats.com/
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

mnnmnm
Last edited by Mike Black on 13 May 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Dave Wren, I grew up in the Almaden Valley in San Jose (about a mile from the church facility where we have the San Jose steel jam). You are thinking of "Frontier Village."
Mark
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I talked to Bobby a few weeks ago, he said hes got a computer now.. I truly hope hes figured out how to read the Steel Forum such a Great person as well as a Great Player....
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

As everybody has mentioned, Bobby's sophisticated, sweet playing is matched by his personality.

I've had the pleasure to play double steels with Bobby many times (and for a while made a career replacing him in bands :) ). Last summer Bobby and I did a 'country dance' together at the Pt. Townsend Slide and Steel workshop (along with forumite Orville Johnson). I recorded that, and will post a couple of cuts, as long as the participants don't mind.