The Mullen G2 is Officially Here!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Del Mullen

Post by Del Mullen »

I can't believe that the bent cross rod issue has created so much interest. It is really quite simple, but I understand how it can fool you, someday I will explain how it works, but for now, the reason for having this feature is to be able to align the pull rods on the same level as the changer, so that rods attached to the (#1 pedal that have to be positioned next to the body) will not be dragging on the cross rods and or bell cranks that are at the changer end of the guitar. This is just one feature of the cross rods. They are mounted with a small ball bearing which is anchored at the front of the guitar, which totally eliminates any end play, and also having this feature allows the back of the guitar to have a floating nylon type of bushing so that the body can expand and contract with temperature and humidity changes, and will not create any binding or sloppy movement.

On the original Mullen guitars there are two separate changers, one which is designed for the E9th neck height, and the other for the C6th height, to accomplish the same thing. I like this new design a whole lot better. It took about 4 years thinking about what I would incorporate into this new guitar.

Other features include a different pedal position making the #1 pedal 1/2 inch to the left and changing the pedal spacing by 1/16 inch which giving 1 inch more space for a 9th pedal which we are seeing more all the time. No screws on the back of the end plates and tunable splits in the changer. Triple raise and triple lower changer that returns to 0 when raising and lowering, without the use of annoying compensators. You are probably thinking right now that many guitars have some of these features, well it is our turn and we will show you how Mullen gets it done.

Next is tone that in my opinion is absolutely as good as it can get. All the parts on our guitars, except for two, are precision machined in our own shop, by CNC machines. Are these guitars expensive? Maybe, for some, but it goes back on the old saying, 'you get what you pay for,' just like with anything else. The Pedal Steel Guitar is actually a considerably cheap instrument for what it is. There are instruments costing 5 times what a steel does, and can't do 1/2 of what a steel can, so it is actually quite a bargain.

We now have a guitar that has the tone we all talk about, and I think you know what that means, it plays as easy as the Royal Precision, only smoother, incorporates an all pull system, which is tuned open strings with the tuning key and all pulls with the nylon tuning nut at the changer. No pile of wrenches and special tuning procedures that only a master can tune, it is simple, for anyone. The Mullen has a system where your tuning can be changed with great ease, no piles of tools and pretty much anyone can do it. These guitars are your tool for your job, they don't require a tool box to go with them, they just work! They come with a two year warranty and also that great Mullen guitar dependability and customer service.
Del Mullen

Pickup

Post by Del Mullen »

Brad, at this time we are not building the G2 pickup in that mounting style. Maybe we can do something in the future, but the G2 pickups are made for the G2 and will not get you the same effect on your guitar, it is more in the guitar than the pickup.

And John, don't try to figure it out you will just hurt yourself, believe me no one was more skeptical on this subject than I was, but it works good!!!!!! :shock:

Mike
Last edited by Del Mullen on 9 Apr 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Dennis Schell

Post by Dennis Schell »

John McClung wrote:Though Mike Mantey has assured me in offline discussion that the bent crossrods work fine, I still can't fathom it. Both sides of the rod are now essentially arms offset from the center of rotation, which would be the center of the bend. So when you rotate by pedal or knee lever action, those arms won't rotate around their own centers, but around the bend in the rod. So both E9 and C6 ends should want to lift or drop. At least that's my thinking on it, though I'm no rocket scientist...or even pedal steel scientist!

Can some brilliant physicist clear this up for me?

Other than that, sure are lots of great features on the G2, nice going, Mullen family! You always build wonderful guitars.
I'm with John. My little pea brain can't fathom how a shaft with it's ends in two different axis can rotate without binding. Perhaps the crosshaft ends and the bearings are canted in regard to the guitar body centerline?

Would love to have one, nice steel, but $4,800 is way out of my budget league!

Dennis
"Bucks Owin"
Brad Malone

Pre Royal Mullen

Post by Brad Malone »

Thanks Del, I like my Mullen the way it is but if I can make it better let me know of future mods.
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

The more I look at this and listen, the more interested I become. This really is unique.
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
Del Mullen

Re: The Mullen G2 is Officially Here!

Post by Del Mullen »

Mike Mantey wrote:We have completed the first G2. It is awesome. They are officially on the market. You can see many pictures and details on our website along with a sound clip. www.mullenguitars.com

There is no kidding on the tone, it is so sweet, clear, and present. It is a bit brighter and cleaner with more seperation. Here is a short sound clip. http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/Time ... ything.mp3
Last edited by Del Mullen on 16 Apr 2007 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

Del,

I think you got your link wrong...

This works http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/Time ... ything.mp3
Bill

Mullen RP SD12U, Carvin SX200C
Mike Mantey

C6th Lovers

Post by Mike Mantey »

Any C6th Lovers out there? If so check this out. I just heard it today and love it. That is the sweetest C6th I have ever heard.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/Time ... ything.mp3

William your link is now wrong, but thanks for helping out.

Mike