hi steelies - from spencer

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Spencer Cullum

hi steelies - from spencer

Post by Spencer Cullum »

hey -just joined up & thought id say hello

my names spencer cullum im 23 and am based in london, u.k although i like to think of detroit u.s as a second home.

i play pedal steel and slide guitar in a u.s group called the deadstring brothers
have been playing for a few years - you can listern to me at www.myspace.com/pedalsteelguitar

pleasure to be amoungst some great steelies and people now

spencer
Last edited by Spencer Cullum on 11 Apr 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Welcome Spencer. You're gonna like it here.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

Welcome Spencer, love to see more alt country rock whatever type members.

Let me know if you're coming to St. Louis, MO for a Deadstring show.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Hey, a young guy! 8)

Welcome aboard, Spencer!
Mark
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Hey Spencer,I've been 23 a couple of times too!

Welcome and have fun on the new and improved Forum.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Nice myspace! I've heard Deadstring Brothers too...good stuff.
bryan
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

Hey Spencer, loving the myspace, great tunes, sounds like you might actually know what you're doing! Let me know when you're next playing in town, I would surely like to buy you a pint and pick your brains about that S12, BJ Cole and... Manassas!! 8)

Good to see you on the forum,
Jon.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Spencer from Alabama,Lot of us old geezers here,Good to have some young blood show up.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Welcome Spencer, glad to have you amongst us. I been 23 three times, so I know what it's like :lol: Have a good time with us !
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Great stuff, Spencer, and welcome.
London--that's just north of Nashville, right?
There are some other Limeys here.... :wink:
(Where does 'limey' come from, anyway?)
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
Spencer Cullum

Post by Spencer Cullum »

thanks for the replies -

and charlie - i think us brits used to suck lime's in the navy years back, hence limeys..

glad this site has a sence of humour - thought us steelies just sit in the background and look moody!
Spencer Cullum

Post by Spencer Cullum »

and johnathan - ill drop you an email if i have some london gigs - and if you do - email me - there's a lack of london steelies...
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Welcome, Spencer.

The Deadstring Brothers? Your reputaton preceeds you!
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Hi Spencer welcome aboard !

Im sure I seen your band in the ceol castle in birmingham once.

Also a fellow brit

check out my site www.steelguitaruk.com
also

www.myspace.com\steelguitaruk
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

hi spencer and welcome - i am 23 years old too - i just have 24 years experience at being 23 - you will love this site - it's great - also your playing and the band sound great!
Spencer Cullum

Post by Spencer Cullum »

great site jamie L - nice early pics! and nice LDG model!
Rocco Labriola

Post by Rocco Labriola »

Hey Spencer,
We met at the Hideout in Chicago. My band Cracklin Moth opened for the Dead String Bros that night.

Rocco
Spencer Cullum

Post by Spencer Cullum »

hey rocco - thought you'd be on this site - you had the black steel and the thinline tele - me and ross (the keyboard player) really loved your music, beach boys holland meets arther lee's love kinda music...

really enjoyed that venue aswell - hopefully will cross paths soon

spencer
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Great playing Spencer! Any trips to Canada in the works?

Marc
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Welcome, Spencer. Nice cross-genre tracks. I think I hear some B.J. Cole influence here and there. Must be a trip to get lessons from him. His playing on Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" was one of the pieces that inspired me to take up pedal steel. I too started on a Maverick. But I quit for school, career and family for 25 years. Now I am back at it and also play an S12 universal. I dabble in alt country, blues, funk/fusion, and free jazz.

Cheers!
Spencer Cullum

Post by Spencer Cullum »

David Doggett wrote:Welcome, Spencer. Nice cross-genre tracks. I think I hear some B.J. Cole influence here and there. Must be a trip to get lessons from him. His playing on Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" was one of the pieces that inspired me to take up pedal steel. I too started on a Maverick. But I quit for school, career and family for 25 years. Now I am back at it and also play an S12 universal. I dabble in alt country, blues, funk/fusion, and free jazz.

Cheers!
yeh its cool getting a lesson from b.j cole, he lives about 25 mins from me, which is cool - has a great tone from his universal kline guitar..and is really open to all kinds of music.

you got a website david? like to hear your S12 playing.
spencer
Jonathan Shacklock

Post by Jonathan Shacklock »

Tiny Dancer + Maverick = me too! :lol: BJ Cole was definitely the first pedal steel player I was ever aware of. I love what he did on "No Regrets" by the Walker Brothers, absolutely killer. Got a friend who knows him and I've been meaning to give him a ring about some lessons but I always felt a bit "not worthy". Maybe I will soon.

Still working on my chops and not playing out just yet Spencer, but as soon as I find that local Waylon covers band I will be rockin' around your neighbourhood in a rusty fiat uno. Which reminds me, going to need driving lessons as well... :roll:
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Yeah, B.J. Cole was an interesting influence on a lot of us in the '70s. Growing up in the Southeast (Mississippi) I had always heard steel in country music. But I was more into classical music, rock, blues and jazz. When I heard B.J.'s beautiful reverb-drenched pedal steel background part in Tiny Dancer, that opened up for me the dramatic possibilities for pedal steel in all kinds of music. I had to have one.

One of my bands, The Philadelphia Blues Messengers, has a web site in progress (thebluesmessengers.com). There are a couple of live samples there, but I don't have anything good in them. We are now in the studio working up some demos and eventually a whole CD. Also, I just got a little digital recorder (Zoom H4). I'm learning how to record myself and upload MP3 tracks, and eventually I'll post some samples of classical music, jazz and blues on my universal.