Clapton last night.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Russ Tkac

Clapton last night.

Post by Russ Tkac »

I saw Eric Clapton last night and he was very good but the best part of the concert for me was Robert Cray.

He was just fantastic! :D

Russ
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I like Robert Cray too, did you notice anything odd about his band? They are all white, unless he's changed personnel lately. This is different, especially for a blues band. White men can't jump, but they sure can play the blues.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

They also looked pretty old. But so do I. :D Robert's singing was so clear and his tone and touch just wonderful. I was very impressed.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Ha, you can tell by my signature picture how old I look. Robert has a very good singing voice, nothing like most old gravelly voiced blues singers.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Matt Price

Post by Matt Price »

I caught the show when he came thru LA a couple weeks back. I missed Robert Cray (I never really got him to be honest)......Clapton was good but I thought Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks were great! (especially Mr. Trucks....)
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

Ya know, as good a singer and picker as Robert Cray is (and he's dang good at both!!!), I think he's an even better song writer. That man has come up with some absolute GEMS over the years.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I like those gravelly voiced old blues singers...
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I missed the show in L.A. - heard it was tremendous.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

Did, Robert come out and play together with Eric for a song? I would love to hear them trade eight bars during a blues shuffle.
Let's go catch a steelhead
Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

I saw Mr. Clapton and Mr. Cray do a version of the old Sam and Dave song "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" years ago. Then they did blues standard. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I liked the song that had more emphasis on their vocals!!!!
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

He came out for Crossroads. Sang the first verse and first solo. He is so good!