How to do a choke

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tom Campbell

How to do a choke

Post by Tom Campbell »

I have been struggling to do a "choke"; raising a high B string to C or a any of the top three strings a half step.
I hold my bar in the traditional manner. but don't know the technique for using my middle or ring finger. Do you pull the string to the side or lift it while holding that string down with the bar...or what? Is there some material that explaines or shows this process?

I appreciate all suggestions.
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Hi Tom

Use your ring finger and pull the string toward you. Takes a lot of practice, but you'll get it.

Harry
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Harry,
Thanks for the information. Like anything, it takes practice to make it look easy!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Personnaly, I never liked the term "choke" ... it's got a bad ring to it. The above image is blurry, but you can see that I'm pulling the third string sharp with my 2nd finger supported by my ring finger. Using supporting fingers is a key concept to remember. I'm not doing it here, but I also sometimes drop the thumb to the side of the neck to further support the bend. You never pull up ... just straight back toward your stomach and paralell to the fretboard. You'll need to build up some under-used muscles as well as develop pulling-hand calluses, so my advice is to pratice it very slowly and in small increments so you don't fatigue your hand muscles. Here are some pull-string licks:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000052.html
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/000055.html

This arrangement of Bud's Bounce in E tuning using string pulls to imitate pedal steel licks:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/001097.html

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 29 June 2006 at 08:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I use left hand mid finger also.

You have to make sure the pull is in
a somewhat upward motion so the string
maintains contact with the bar.

With that in mind it is just a matter
of practice and it does not come easy.

------------------
http://www.clictab.com/RoyT/Roy_Thomson_Steel_Courses.htm
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Thanks Andy!
This is what I needed to see. I have some pretty good calluses on my left hand fingers from playing regular 6 string guitar, but I don't have the coordination developed for the pull technique.
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Andy

Why don't you just use your ring finger...it's easier, and you have better control of your bar? You're using your ring finger to back up your middle finger anyhow.

I've been doing string pulls for a hundred years, and I never got any callouses on my finger.

String pulls are real easy...but it does take a lot of practice and co-ordination to get it right.

Happy pulling

Harry Image
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Kayton Roberts has a huge callus from pulling strings. You must have superman hands, Harry. Why not give your hand the most support you can? Using supporting fingers for pedal steel-like bends on a standard guitar is recommend by masters of the technique like Arlen Roth. In my book, it just makes sense for lap steel too. But if your way works for you more power to you! . One other thing to keep in mind about string pulls is you pretty much momentarilly lose your vibrato when you're pulling.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Sometimes called the "cheese slicer" technique for obvious reasons...
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Andy

Come to the HSGA Convention this year at Joliet, and we'll check out each others string pulls. LOL!

Harry Image
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

Tom,

Awhile back, I saw Harry at a Steeljam and I have to tell you, he is really good with String Pulls, as well as other techniques. We were amazed.

In my case, I agree with Roy's advise to keep the string your pulling against the bar. It's a slight upward pressure when you pull the string back. Andy's advise works too!!

Either way, the key is to work at it so it becomes 2nd nature. IMHO: It really doesn't take that long.

You'll be very glad to have this "must" trick in your arsenal and like Harry, not even think about it when you do it. TX

Rgsd,

Ron
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Thanks for the compliment, Ron.

Anyhow, with slants, pulls, and various other tricks, who needs pedals. Image

I call my lap steel my "poor man's pedal steel." LOL!

Harry Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Harry Dietrich on 29 June 2006 at 01:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

I'm waiting for a gag photo from Howard R...
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I haven't see Howard do a choke on an a guitar yet, but I have seen one choke him...I think he ticked off a Fender one time... Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 29 June 2006 at 04:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Harry, do you use the whole finger? Image
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

You "disappoint" me, Howard. I dropped right in here thinking for sure that with this barn door wide open in the wind, you would have dropped the bombshell of the year! Image

Aloha,
DT~
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 29 June 2006 at 08:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

No Howard...the one alongside that one. Image
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

If you can choke and chicken pick at the same time…

well, you'd be choking the chicken.
Dwayne Martineau

Post by Dwayne Martineau »

Now, how do you pull the string a full step without crashing into the next string if your string spacing won't allow it?

By the time I've pulled up a full step, the neighbouring string has already bent a quarter tone or more, so even if the bend is accurate, the whole thing sounds out of tune.

-Dm
Matt Johnson

Post by Matt Johnson »

Hi Tom,
Once you get the hang of pulling, try sliding to a different fret while the string is pulled. Then release the string at the new position. It can sound really nice (after your finger tips are broken in!).
Harry Dietrich

Post by Harry Dietrich »

Dwayne

Sounds like your strings are too loose. That should never happen.

Harry
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

What Harry said. It's all in the scale length and string gauges. Billy Robinson can pull even the low strings. Sliding WHILE you're pulling a string! Ouch! You must be a Kung Fu master.
Dwayne Martineau

Post by Dwayne Martineau »

A bigger gauge makes sense. My C6 neck sounds a little thin anyway.

-Dm
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>You "disappoint" me, Howard</SMALL>

Denny, I've got other fish to fry....stay tuned to No Peddlers. New material on the way..... Image

BTW, I use string pulls on G tuned dobro, pulling the 2nd string back & forth will give a pedal effect. Also tuning the B to C and pulling will do the same with a ninth flavor.

On C6, I like to pull the 2nd string, C to C# to give me a major triad or a dom7.

A great technique to learn. And yes, I've also seen Harry a pullin' & a chokin' and he gets a lot of milage out of his tuning.

Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Hey Matt-- welcome to the Forum! Never heard anybody else mention that sliding/pulling-at-the-same-time thing. Glad I'm not the only loony to try this. Actually for anyone with a good set of guitar (or even better, bass) calluses, it's not that big a deal.

--Steve