Peavey Nashville 1000

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Phil ONeill

Peavey Nashville 1000

Post by Phil ONeill »

My Nashville 1000 is acting up.It is sizzling when I play.The tone is not affected but when I noticed this
noise I thought it was the snare or something on the drum kit.Somebody suggested that the silver dustcap may be loose but it looks very secure.This is not a hum it is a high frequency buzz or vibration like a silver necklace on a glass plate.I am having dificulty describing the sound accurately but I hope you get the idea.My question is: does this mean the speaker is blown?Any other possibilities I can eliminate before
trusting it to a tech.
This amp has been very reliable for 5 years and hundreds of gigs and is my main backline.I use it with a terroidal transformer stepdown from 240v to 110v.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Could be dirt in the air gap groove where the magnet bolt's on to the basket of the BW speaker. I recently got a NV1000 for a great price due to the shop thinking the speaker was bad and it took all of 10min's work to fix it. The voice coil is suspended in the groove and any crud that collects can make it sound like it's blown. There should be a post you can search for that gives a step by step on how to clean the gap. Good luck.
JE:-)>
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

Jim,
i will see if thats the problem.I found the post you mentioned also.Thanks for taking the time,your advice is much appreciated.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Glad to be of help, did it work for you?
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

I'm using a session 400 in the meantime.I wont get round to looking at the speaker gap for a couple of weeks.I will post the outcome then.Many thanks Jim.
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

Amp back in action.I checked the nylon reverb connector and it was loose.The speaker is sounding clean again.It puzzles me how this caused the noise I described but seems to be fine now.Jim ,thanks again.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

Molex rides again!!! Glad it was an easy fix.
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

I had some respite from the speaker noise but it returned 3 weeks ago.I am not too handy with amp repairs so I left the amp in the corner until I decided to ship it or try to do it myself.I removed the 3 bolts and lifted the magnet.Lo and behold a small screw from the cabinet was stuck on the magnet.It was out of the amp chassis above the speaker.It was tricky getting the magnet positioned but with careful handling I got the bolts tightened up and the amp is back to normal operation.I got the instructions from this forum and learned a little about my peavey speaker.It was not the molex after all.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Reverb connector in a Nashville 1000 is not a Molex connector. The Nashville 400 was the last Nashville series amp to use them (thankfully).
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

Thanks Jack,I am not well up on component names I will be the first to admit.The master gain knob is busted too.Can anyone say if thats an easy job for a rookie who owns a soldering iron?I can still adjust it but would prefer to repair it at this stage.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

A small wattage (20 or 30 watts) iron and some rosin core solder and you should be able to change it. Only problem, if I remember correctly you will have to loosen (take the knob and nut off) all the pots to be able turn the preamp board over for soldering. You should get the exact replacement from Peavey, so it will line up correctly, match, etc.
Phil ONeill

Post by Phil ONeill »

Thanks for the advice Jack.I will order the part.

Phil