Vintage 1973 Marlen D-10

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Brian Cassidy

Vintage 1973 Marlen D-10

Post by Brian Cassidy »

For sale: A 1973 Marlen D-10 (8x4) built by the great Leonard Stadler.

I'm downsizing to an S-10 for a lighter, more airline friendly guitar. The warm tone of this Marlen is unbeatable, though. It was set up by Marlen expert, Ricky Davis several months ago, and has played great ever since. The guitar includes a well-built, light-weight ATA flight case with wheels that is in great condition that I purchased from Case-Technology for $300 less than 2 years ago. It was custom built to fit this Marlen. Case-Technology cases have been recommended for steel guitars multiple times on the forum.

There are the few small bar dings, and some very minimal crackling in the lacquer that you'd expect for a 34 year old guitar. Otherwise it's in excellent shape. It is currently set up slightly higher than average (I'm 6'2"), but it can be lowered.

There's an informative thread about Marlens titled "Marlen Steel Guitars" from January on the forum.

Price - $1650 plus shipping
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

Wow! That's a beauty!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Brian, is that a double raise/lower guitar?
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I'll second Alan's comment. "Wow! That's a beauty!" What is the setup on it? I'm amazed at the quality steels for sale at the present time on the Forum. Hands down, though, Brian, yours just might be the purtiest.
Duncan
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Kevin; that is the "pull-release" Marlen and it plays super smooth and true.
The sound of this system with this Maple that Leonard used back then; is completely between an Emmons and a Sho~bud....Incredible.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Brian Cassidy

Post by Brian Cassidy »

I think my Marlen is blushing. Thanks for all of the nice comments. It is a great looking and sounding instrument. Duncan; the set-up is pretty much standard on both the E9 and C6.

I forgot to mention that in addition to the flight case, I also have the original 1973 Marlen case (complete with leopard-print lining!) for anyone interested.
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

<a>picture</a>

heres my 76 D-10, not for sale though, & yours is very nice looking. Mine plays great & sounds even better. I also have a 70 SD-10 with 3&4 white mica finish. I like them both.

Ernie :lol:
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

bump for a nice instrument

Db
Brian Cassidy

Post by Brian Cassidy »

Just wanted to provide my contact info for anyone that might be interested in this Marlen.
email: briancassidy@grandecom.net
I'm happy to send additional photos or answer any other questions.
Brian Cassidy

Post by Brian Cassidy »

I'm going to try selling the flight case separately because most people seem to be happy with a standard case.

So, because I'm hoping to sell this guitar soon, the new price for the Marlen D-10 is $1400 plus shipping. That price includes the original Marlen case (not the custom flight case.)
Rick Winfield

MARLEN

Post by Rick Winfield »

We now have a deal my friend. Can't wait to get her into my music room. We'll communicate for the necessary details.
Good luck on your gig !!
Brian Cassidy

Post by Brian Cassidy »

Sold - pending payment. Then she's on her way to New Jersey. Donation to forum on it's way after payment from buyer is received. Thanks everyone!