The Mullen G2 is Officially Here!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Mantey

The Mullen G2 is Officially Here!

Post by Mike Mantey »

We have completed the first G2. It is awesome. They are officially on the market. You can see many pictures and details on our website along with a sound clip. www.mullenguitars.com

There is no kidding on the tone, it is so sweet, clear, and present. It is a bit brighter and cleaner with more seperation. Here is a short sound clip. http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/Time ... ything.mp3
Last edited by Mike Mantey on 16 Apr 2007 6:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Mantey
President and C.E.O.
Mullen Guitar Co., Inc.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

if it has the Mullen name on it then it has to be good

you gotta love a Mullen
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Mike Mantey

Sound Clip Added

Post by Mike Mantey »

We have added a sound clip. It was recorded with no effects, a Nashville 400, and a Goodrich Pot Pedal. We did not doctor it up at all so you can hear the real true guitar. Here is the link, http://www.mullenguitars.com/g2.htm
just click the speaker icon.

We would love to hear your comments, either here or by email.

Thank You.
Mike Mantey
President and C.E.O.
Mullen Guitar Co., Inc.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

deleted
Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 21 Jun 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Mike, would you share the rationale about the bend in the cross shaft. Lots of conversation on the chat room about that item and the tremendous look of the new changer.

Phred
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

Is the RP now positioned as your midlevel guitar? There is a pretty big price differential between the two. It looks and sounds nice!
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Thank You Fred and Mike.

Yes I can explain the new cross rods. Every guitar to my knowledge has pull rods, that on the E-9th neck, run at an angle towards the changer. They are straight on the C6th neck. Well in order to have a straight pull on all rods, the cross rods would have to be at different heights, that is what we did. On the original Mullen guitars which is now referred to as the HWP the changers were two different changers having a height difference to match the body offset. By having this feature the pull rod can now again operate at a more inline pull. This has been one of the things that Del has always been concerned with even though it does not make a guitar play any better or worse. There are times the rods have to have a bend in them, because if the long rods need to be placed close to the body they will rub on the cross rods and/or bell cranks that are close to the changer end of the guitar. This is Del's reasoning. It is truly his desire to have the best guitar this is just one of the things he could not let go. Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by Mike Mantey on 29 Mar 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

No Steve, we build 3 models of professional guitars and all 3 have different features to aquire all interests in the different players. The G2 is our most advanced and best sounding guitar we build, this is Del's and my honest opinion. The G2 is better but it definetally does cost more. In other words the Royal Precision is still the same great quality and the G2 is as well, but much different features and changer.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Thanks Mike, makes sense to me. Looks like one hell of an axe. Can't wait to hear one.

Phred
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

All I can say is this: I wish I'd been born rich instead of so good looking.......not!
Sure love to have one. Sounds fantastic! Killer tone. Congrats to you.
jas
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Hope to hear Del play the G2 at the Tulsa show.
See you there Mike! :)
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Curt Shoemaker

Post by Curt Shoemaker »

Just finished listening to the sound clip.The tone is everything you've been saying Mike.I especially like the low end, at the same time it's clean.Looking forward to driving one around the block. Congratulations!
pdl20

g-2 sound

Post by pdl20 »

I compaired the G-2 to my Guitar and the g-2 has a much cleaner mid range and upper end. clean and clear, also has a great low end too and i like it. you will be busy as a beaver building these guitars when they get out there and people get to hear them up close. congrats on a fine instrument.im excited about my new ax coming friday also. i will be playing it in Nashville at the Fiddle and Steel in Printers Alley april 23 rd.with David Brynes.
Image 8)
Terry Sneed

G2

Post by Terry Sneed »

Mike is it a D-10 or an SD-10 being played on the sound clip?
Very clean sounding guitar for sure. I like my Mullen RP, but I think the G2 has it beat in the tone catagory. Wish I could afford one. :)

Terry
1997 emmons legrande lll 8&5/ Nashville 112 with Fox chip mod LTD 400 / American Tele / John Jorgerson Takamine/ W/S Rob Ickes model dobro/
"May God Bless America Again"
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

WOW! Now I really can't wait to get my new G2. I love the clearness of the low end...not muddy at all. Maybe it's just Del's playing!!! The high end sounds more clear and defined than what I was expecting...Mike, are those the new p/u's that were designed especially for the G2? They sure sound good. I might like to throw a pair in my road guitar if the hum isn't too bad. I'm assuming they are single coils, right?

Keep up the good work and get to building on my guitar!!! You can sleep some other time. :lol: We have some award shows coming up, you know!!!

Tim
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Terry, Del used the D-10 Black one on our website.

Thank You Tim, and yes we are working on your guitar. Yes, those are the single coil pickups we specifically designed for the G2. If you liked that clip try this one. Same everything, different song.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/demo2.mp3
Mike Mantey

Clip

Post by Mike Mantey »

Here is one more clip with a little effects added.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/media/Demo3.mp3

Log on to the steel chat room tonight to hear more.
Brad Malone

G2

Post by Brad Malone »

Mike, The G2 sounds great...what is the ohmage of the newly designed G2 pickups?...they really sound tremendous...you will sell a lot of G2's..better get some more help.
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Brad last night on the chat room Mike said they were wound to 19000~ohms.
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Brad Malone

G2 pickup ohmage

Post by Brad Malone »

Thanks Pat, My pre Royal PUPS are 18.5K..that's pretty close to the G2's
Mike Mantey

G2

Post by Mike Mantey »

Yes, Patrick is right, however they are wound different than yours, the G2 pickups utilize different wire and such, but read 19k ohms.

Still have #1 for sale and building #2, and #3 so claim them now to get them customized for you as they are being built. They are worth every penny.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/specials.htm

Check with me for a special (get this guitar heard) Special.
Brad Malone

G2 PUPS

Post by Brad Malone »

Mike, is it possible to have these new G2 PUPS installed in the Pre Royal Mullen?
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Though Mike Mantey has assured me in offline discussion that the bent crossrods work fine, I still can't fathom it. Both sides of the rod are now essentially arms offset from the center of rotation, which would be the center of the bend. So when you rotate by pedal or knee lever action, those arms won't rotate around their own centers, but around the bend in the rod. So both E9 and C6 ends should want to lift or drop. At least that's my thinking on it, though I'm no rocket scientist...or even pedal steel scientist!

Can some brilliant physicist clear this up for me?

Other than that, sure are lots of great features on the G2, nice going, Mullen family! You always build wonderful guitars.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net