Do you play your steel tilted?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Is your steel tilted?

Poll ended at 6 Apr 2007 6:08 pm

Level
56%
Foward, front lower than back
38%
Backward, back lower than the front
7%

Total votes: 104

Ken Williams

Do you play your steel tilted?

Post by Ken Williams »

This topic may have already been covered and if so please excuse me. I've noticed different players sometimes tilt their steels. I've wondered what is the advantage of doing this? Or is it a matter of personal feel? When I first started, about 30 years ago, I had the steel tilted back just a tad. Maybe it would allow me to see the frets or position markers better, or maybe it was that way when I bought it and I never changed it. I don't recall the specific reason. Nowdays, I like the steel to be as level as possible.

Ken
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Ken, most players that tilt their steels do so because the guitar won't clear their legs. My guitar was built an inch taller than standard so it clears my legs without tilting the guitar. To my knowledge, there is no Advantage to tilting the guitar (Unless you like to play downhill) JMO
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I have one inch extenders on my steel and still need the back just a tad higher to get under it comfortably, otherwise I would be constantly engaging my vertical knee lever. I am 6'3" and have long legs.
John Parker
Zumsteel SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 400
Fender Steel King
Charles Pompe

Post by Charles Pompe »

I'm not 6'3" :( but I still have to tip it forward a bit to clear my legs.

Charlie
2005 Carter D-10,2009 Rains D-10, Session 500,Nashville 400,Nashville 112,1965 Vega Scruggs 5-String Banjo, Martin D-40, Gibson J-50
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

A few of us tilt backwards. I do this due to wearing tri-focals it helps to see that top string just past the edge of the neck; just an orientation thing so the strings seem to be in the same place all the time. :lol:
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

I tilt mine forward. The lower half of my legs are longish, and I can't fit under it otherwise. When I had to wear the boots with Tammy for all those years... well, those heels just made it worse. I'm so used to that position, when one is level now, it feels like it's caving in on me!

Years ago, at a studio here, Sonny Garrish played a funny joke on me. I was booked to play harp on the 10 and 2, and steel on the 6pm. Sonny was there for the 10 and 2. My steel was set up in the corner, out of the way, with a cover on it. After the lunch break, Sonny asked me if I'd lift up the cover. I asked him why, he said he wanted to see the endplate on my guitar. I said, "Sonny, it looks just like yours. No different." He said, "I just want to see what it looks like." So I lifted up the end of the cover... and he had stuck one of those small curved bubble levels on my endplate! I could really tell how "off" it was now! We all got a good laugh with that one...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. 6'1" and abnormally long legs. I try to keep the steel as level as possible but it usually winds up that the back legs are half an inch longer than the front. When I first started playing, I was so short that I was on inch shorter legs and had the steel tilted back just to keep the end of the knee levers from bruising my legs!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I tilt mine forward. Right foot on the volume pedal gets hard to activate the right levers, so I tilt it ahead to make a little more clearance.
It really doesn't help much, though, my playing still sucks--- :shock:
Last edited by James Morehead on 27 Mar 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I'm 5'8" with short legs, so I set the steel up level. Even then, with a standard height guitar with standard length knee levers, I'm often just catching the ends of the levers. But I can't play with the guitar tilted back toward me--bar technique never feels right.

Q: Do I play my steel tilted? A: Maybe--but the steel is level! :)
Ken Williams

Post by Ken Williams »

I always figured it might have something to do with the placement angle of the right hand. I never thought of the height factor. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm 6 foot, or at least I used to be. I've shrunk about 1/2 inch over the years. I have plenty of clearance in under the steel. I guess my lower leg bones are kinda short. As a matter of fact, the Legrande SKH that I have has no height adjustment on the vertical lever. I had to tape about a half inch extension on it because it was too far above my knee. Even with that it could stand to be a little lower.
Some of this may have to do with the footwear one plays in. I normally play in deck shoes which have a low heel. If I played in boots, I'm sure it would be more of squeeze to fit in under the steel, especially the vertical levers.

Ken
Ernest Cawby

Tilt

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I just found out my guitar is to high for me I built 2 2x4s 13" and drilled 2 holes in each for the leg to sit in, 1 3/8" higher now i CAN SEE THE FRONT STRINGS MUCH BETTER. I was playing the top strings blind. I can see the whole guitar much better, helps my playing.

ernie
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Even with a 2" lift kit, I tilt every guitar forward a bit except my Carter, which works fine level. I'm 6'4" and have long legs. I think it takes 3-4" of lift for me to keep most of them level. I would definitely prefer a level guitar, so I really need to find a better solution than piling a ton of liftkits on.
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

i have mine really foward, I find I can pick faster, and cleaner.
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

It really depends how much I've had to drink.
I have been severly tilted at times. :?

Arch.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Tilted back.

"I'm a little short...."
--Inspector Closeau
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mine is tilted because it's more comfortable to me that way.......level gives me cramps in my wrists....
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Guys... In the 1950's, the approximate average height of the male of our species was about 5'8". The average height in the present is about 6'. Maybe the manufacturers should take note and build the guitars at least an inch higher? Just a thought. Responses welcome.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

The Youtube videos of Curly Chalker show him sometimes tilting the guitar back towards him.
Dennis Schell

Post by Dennis Schell »

I tilt mine slightly forward....
(Keeps my bar from rolling off during breaks! :wink: )

Dennis
"Bucks Owin"
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

MY first was a MSA S10 and I kept it slightly tilted forward to keep the bar from rolling off.
With my Derby D10 I keep it just a little higher in the back..just more comfortable.. and keeps my forearms level and relaxed.
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Brian LeBlanc

4-ward !

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

...it just looks cooler...
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Max W. Thompson

Post by Max W. Thompson »

I try to keep mine level so that my beer doesn't slide off...
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

Very slightly forward, that way my wrists are at a natural angle and makes it more comfortable to pick.
Dave.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Slightly backward...like my playing.
Best regards,
Mike
William Peters

Post by William Peters »

I measured my legs from the floor to the tops of my knees, and had Del make my Mullen to fit me with it being level.
Bill

Mullen RP SD12U, Carvin SX200C