Early Jerry Byrd on CD?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Justin Brown

Early Jerry Byrd on CD?

Post by Justin Brown »

In his interview with Tom Bradshaw (P 19 of the Pedal Steel Guitar Products "Writings of" compilation), Jerry Byrd mentions recording "50 or 60 sides" as a soloist for Mecury starting in 1949. Are any of these available on CD?
Ray Montee

WHY CD?

Post by Ray Montee »

Why are you limiting yourself?

Iknow of several late CD's but nothing with regard to the early Mercury material. It could be done tho'.
Nathan Hernandez

Post by Nathan Hernandez »

Nashvill Allstars jazz from the hills stuff is along some of the lines of the Mercurey stuff. Its on Bear Familey and only like 2 or 3 of the songs dont have Jerry on them.
Justin Brown

Post by Justin Brown »

Yeah - I recently got that "Jazz From The Hills" CD, Nathan. Super playing all around. That's another part of what got me wondering about this, actually.

Ray, I'm not necessarily limiting myself here... I just suspect that this is some pretty great stuff - and I was surprised at how much of it is out there somewhere according to Jerry Byrd. 50 or 60 sides is a lot of music. I'd appreciate any leads you can give me on how to track some of this down.
Kevin Ruddell

cord international

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

According to an e-mail reply I received from Cord International there is to be another volume in the CD best of Jerry Byrd released shortly
Egil Skjelnes

Post by Egil Skjelnes »

Hi
Most of the CD releases that comes out these days are his Monument stuff,and some later.But there is one with Mercury stuff called "Early Country and Hawaiian Steel Guitar Classics" Cattle CCD 296,label out of Germany. Search the internet for Reimar Binge,and you should find them,still available I guess.Many tunes,close to 30,all Mercury.
Regards,Egil
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Here is the link (scroll down:

http://www.dagmar-anita-binge.de/ccd292-296.htm

Kind Regards, Walter
Kevin Ruddell

cattle call

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Roots and Rhythm mail order carries it on their web site