New (Swedish) lap steel recording

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

New (Swedish) lap steel recording

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Hi everyone,

Here is my second lap steel recording - my lap slide interpretation of a song by the late Cornelis Vreeswijk (Cornelis was born in the Netherlands, but moved to Sweden at a young age and became one of the true masters of songwriting in the Swedish language). Here is the recording:

"Telegram för Lucidor"

I know this recording is far from flawless, but I thought I'd share it with you anyway, and I would appreciate any feedback and advice. (My wife said: "If you know you've made mistakes, why don't you wait and post it when you can play it better?", but I think that any hints and help I can get from you guys here at the forum, along the way of my learning curve, is worth exposing my steel playing attempts, "warts and all". Image)

(For those of you who are interested in recording specs, I played my 1930s Oahu acoustic roundneck, recorded through a Sony stereo microphone. The vocals went via a Shure SM-58 though my Marshall amp (very professional, I know! Image). I used some Propik Fingertone picks I got recently - I think they give a good balance of sensitivity and volume for more gentle playing.)

Anyway, time for sleep here now. Thanks Steinar for hosting this file as well - especially at this late hour! Image

Cheers,

Fred.

------------------
www.frockmusic.com
www.myspace.com/ilikerecords <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 12 June 2006 at 06:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Anders Brundell

Post by Anders Brundell »

A very nice version of that song! Thanks for sharing! Tell your wife that if we all wait until we can play perfect, then no music will ever by published.
Hur hamnade du i Brighton, förresten?

Anders
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Anders Brundell on 12 June 2006 at 08:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Gustafson

Post by Lee Gustafson »

Sounded great! I live in Michigan, U.S.A., but my dad was born in Gothenburg,Sweden. Your music seemed to draw me towards my roots. Keep up the good work.I practice on my Artisan lap steel daily and you give me hope.
Adam Camster

Post by Adam Camster »

Great stuff fred! That was truly beautiful! On a technical note, did you sing and play at the same time? I think that would be beyond me 'till I improve some. Thanks.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Anders, Lee, Adam,

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it (in spite of its imperfections Image).

Anders - I got stuck here in Brighton - been here for 7 years now (apart from one year in Brazil).

Lee - I'm very pleased to remind you of your roots! Image If you like this kind of "Nordic melancholy" you should check out Jan Johansson's fantastic album "Folkvisor" (or "Jazz på svenska" - "Jazz in Swedish") from the mid 60s. Piano and double bass. It is stunningly beautiful. Available at CD Baby.

Adam - I recorded the guitar and the vocals separately. I tried to do it simultaneously at first, but I need to improve before I can pull that off. Image

Thanks again!

------------------
www.frockmusic.com
www.myspace.com/ilikerecords