Dean & Regal Resonators

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Keith

Dean & Regal Resonators

Post by Jim Keith »

I am thinking of buying an inexpensive reso, and was wondering about the quality and sound of these 2 brands. Can anyone shed some light on this. Also, any comments on other brands in the same price range.
Thanks for the help with this. I really messed up over the last couple of years by selling all my equiptment, and need something to play.
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

I tried out a Regal in a music store a while back and thought it sounded pretty good.But I didn't need another. PJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out,and loudly proclaiming:"WOW,what a ride!"
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a few Regal resonators and like them just fine.

The "Black Lightning" is most attractive.

I also have a Regal metal tricone that is patterned after the old Nationals. I have the "Wild Rose" pattern.
Bob Bowman

Regal Resonators

Post by Bob Bowman »

I bought a Korean-made Regal round neck Dobro copy a couple of year ago and it's been fine. Sound is authentic to my ears, maybe a little on the quiet side. It's a nice house guitar

Cheers Bob
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Don't know your spending limit-you didn't mention it.

Before you plunk down any money, try out a Goldtone Paul Beard Signature, more expensive than the "base" Regal.

The only Regal that can hang in with that one is the Black Lightning.

I have yet to see or play a Dean, so I can't comment on that brand.
Mark
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

The price difference between a really good reso and cheap reso is not so much in the scheme of things especially since a good one will hold it value and be much easier to unload than a cheap one. Gregg McKenna has excellent custom reso's in the $1,500 range. To me the pleasure received from playing a great instrument over a bad instrument is well worth the wait it would take to get the extra bucks together. Just my opinion.
Jim Keith

Thanks, Guys

Post by Jim Keith »

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am also crazy about the custom made ones, especially the Benoit, but for now I think I will go with a
regal until I see how much I actually play it. My wife is reminding me of how much time my instruments spent in the closet. Don't suppose any of you have heard that one before. :D
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

All I can add is that a cheap reso will spend more time in the closet than a good one. I should start a course on how to speak to wives about GAS. :)
Jim Keith

Post by Jim Keith »

Well said Bill, I may get a better guitar after that one. I think there is some truth to the old saying that forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
Alan Ames

Post by Alan Ames »

They usually sound really good, but look very carefully for defects and make an agreement with the store clerk about returning it if it is defective.
I owned a Korean square neck and when I opened it up to put in a McEntyre pickup, I noticed that the suport for the cone had been glued in off center and that on one side there was insufficient lip for the cone to rest. When I reassembled it, sure enough, the cone would "fall" off of the lip and sound terrible. The store did replace it for me, after a bit of a hassel, but you might take it apart in the store; it is not that big of a deal. Or they might have a video camera with a fibre optic coax cable for seeing inside the guitar. (Through the mesh sound holes)
Bob Bowman

Regal

Post by Bob Bowman »

I like Bill's GAS-flavoured reply very much.

The anti-GAS argument is normally something along the lines of number of guitars owned versus available time to play them, so maybe a sacrifical raid on the closet would do the trick?
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Regal has probably the best sound and action for the money, IF it is setup right. After a long wait I finally got to play a Black Lightning model and also a spruce top Regal at a local music store. Yes, the Black Lightning is prettier, but the individual guitar I played had the strings too low on the bridge end making it hard to avoid clicking the finger picks on the resonator cover. The spruce top model had the strings at the 'proper' height and a better sound, AND much easier to play. The spruce top was also cheaper - and in my opinion a 'best buy'.

These guitars are at Danny D's Guitar Haceinda in League City. Texas.
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

I play a "banana yellow" Regal....has good sound, of course not as good as the real thing, but ok for me and where I play....has been played by a "good" dobro player who owns a "real dobro"...and he seems to think it sounds ok....(at least it sounds very nice when he is playing it... :D )...

get what you can now....upgrade later....
David Cook

Post by David Cook »

I have talked to a dobro repairer in Jacksonville and he has put in a quarterman cone and a bone nut on several Regals. Some of them sound pretty good and some not as good. It depends on the individual instrument.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

I was trying to appear to be at least somewhat diplomatic by including Regal in my first post.

But here is my own particular bottom line on the entry level reso guitar thing:

For a couple hundred dollars more than the base Regal, you can get a Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature. And as an insurance policy, you can get one that has gone through the Beard facility and received a professional set up, with quality components, from folks who build and work on resos for Jerry Douglas, Mike Auldridge, and other top pros.

For a couple hundred dollars in savings, you can buy the "base" Regal reso, and find after you have gotten around fellow dobro players, that it would benefit from an upgrade in components, and a professional set up.

If you pony up the extra $200 from the get go, then you are going to get a gig worthy Gold Tone reso that you will be happy with, and, if you buy it direct from Beard, and really catch the "dobro fever," they have a trade in policy where you can apply the dollars to a "real" Beard.

Bill points out the fine value of a McKenna guitar, but these threads seem to often escalate in that direction-a guy has only so many dollars to spend on a reso-but the suggestions come in to where there is likely no way that he'll be able to start in that particular higher end league.

If you were to play a $370 base Regal(price from Musician's Friend), and then right after it play a $570 Goldtone/Beard (price from Elderly Instruments), the difference will be readily apparent.

What defines a "real dobro" anyway?
Mark
Jim Keith

Post by Jim Keith »

Thanks for all the replies fellows. I finally ordered a guitar this morning. No, not the bottom of the line, but the new RD-40NS from Regal. Incidentially, the (must have) new Chevy sort of over- rode the more costly resonator. I hope I am as happy with the guitar as with the Chevy. Maybe later on, a new custom guitar. Will let everyone know how it works out.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Have fun, Jim!

Once most people fall in love with dobro playing, there is no turnin' back!
Mark
graham rodger

Post by graham rodger »

I too have ordered a Regal RD40CS as I live in the UK and they are distributed here..anything else I'd like would cost me $300 shipping plus an import tax,hope I get a nice one...Keep On Picking..:)
Jim Keith

Post by Jim Keith »

I like the guitar just fine, nut the c6th tuning I put on it is doing a number on me. May have to try E7th again. Graham, I hope you enjoy yours.
graham rodger

Post by graham rodger »

Well guys i got a really nice one!!!Regal RD40 cherry sunburst squareneck..cannot find a single flaw,or anything i dont like about this guitar...OK its my first dobro and cant compare it to anything,but its loud and proud...Thankyou God....for the little money i spent i have a lot more guitar than i expected..nothing offcentre,gleaming finish,just very nice :)
Colin Alder

Post by Colin Alder »

I should start a course on how to speak to wives about GAS. Smile
My line for years has been, "Playing guitar makes me a better husband" You know,the whole relaxation, if I'm happy then I can make you happpy? For guitar, you can substitute at will, steel, dobro, with the band, whatever-- for the sake of variety. I think she's starting to believe it. Either that or she is willing to act like it to get me out of the house, and a little peace for herself.
Jim Keith

The Regal is fine for me

Post by Jim Keith »

I am really enjoying the Regal, and will probably like it even better if I ever learn to play it.
I think it has plenty of volume, stays in tune, and looks great. I also got a great deal at bryansmusic.
:D Think I will try some jagwire's for the next set of
strings. It may sound even better.