Great Buddy Charleton clips on YouTube

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

scott murray

Great Buddy Charleton clips on YouTube

Post by scott murray »

with Leon Rhodes, of course. These are awesome. Can someone give an accurate date?

Rhodes-Bud Boogie

Honey Fingers
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

:shock:
Now what am I going to do with all these guitars and steel guitars? :(

It's bad enough that they play like that, but then they have the gall to make it look easy!
Last edited by Brint Hannay on 13 Mar 2007 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

somewhere between 62 and 66 if it's Buddy and Leon. Leon left ET in 66.
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

Wow! :shock: :D

Two monsters. They both just make it look so easy.

Thanks for posting those clips!
Patrick
Roland van Beveren

Post by Roland van Beveren »

Great stuff Scott, thank you!

Roland
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.
Guys, that style does not ever get any better than that.
BG
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Just the greatest country band ever. I feel fortunate to have seen Buddy Charleton play with the TT a few times when I was coming up. Leon wasn't with them then, but the picking was still hot.

Also the first time I saw them they had Jr. Pineda on bass. He could accelerate and super charge a solo, better than any bass player I've seen. I think I saw him jamming outside the MSA room this year at the TSGA on Saturday night. Glad to see he's doing well.

Joe
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I saw this clip just after it was posted, and it blew me away. I remember him trying to teach me the runs on RB Boogie, and It was all I could do in even the best years of my playing to get them 2/3 of the way there.

Playing with Leon Rhodes must have been a "meat grinder". One that left us with the most memorable double solos that I've ever heard anywhere. Keeping in mind the imperfect state of amplification and recording, it's flat unbelievable.

I noticed the "pinky under" blocking of course, and the same gentle but deadly determination in Mr Charletons' demeanor I remember when watching him play for hours close up in later years.

Those vids will be there for years to come as the "state of the art" for real musicianship and "speed picking" without any short cuts. This contrasted to the playing the most sweetly slow and beautiful ballad lines IMHO that were ever played on the instrument. Time will bear this out.

TOTAL dedication, no excuses, no "playing down" no sloppy technique, and no wet hair and tennis shoes.

ET was the best of all for his letting these guys shine. He did more for country musicians than we will ever know.

Bless them all.

JMHO.

EJL