Please Close

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Ken Fox

Lots of kits ready and Burr Brown chips in stock

Post by Ken Fox »

I have 17 kits ready and 2 kits for Session 400 or LTD 400 amps ready to install. It looks like I will using most very soon from the interest I got at the Dallas Show! Let me know if you have an amp coming. I will reserve a kit for you.

I also have 300 Burr Brown chips in stock now for the N-400 mods, Profex 2 and Bassfex upgrades.

The Burr Brown chips are a great upgrade for the Nashville 112 and Nashville 1000 amps as well. I can install them or send as a kit. Email for more info!
Mike Phillips

Post by Mike Phillips »

all --

a lot has been written and said about ken's mod already, so i'll just say it simply: my Ken Fox-modded NV400 is inspiring.

and working with Ken to iron out the issues my amp had when i sent it to him was like spending time with a friend... a friend who happens to be an electronics guru.

thanks a million, ken!

mike
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I now have 13 kits ready to install. Turn around is usually next day!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Less than 10 kits on hand now. Let me know if you have an amp coming!

I will soon try to re-stock another 30 kits within the next month.
Joe Harwell

Works for me-Thank you, Ken

Post by Joe Harwell »

Just got my NV400 back from Ken. WOW!

The NV400-all I can say is "WOW!". I really can't fully explain it all yet.

My first impression-Mids and Highs are brilliantly clear.

Very acceptable noise level.

I've got to play with the EQ and get it dialed in.

Reverb is excellent.
Never heard any PV reverb in these steel amps sound so good!

And there seems to be a hint of an excellent "drive" edge just like I like it.

And it maintains all the clarity as volume increases.
No lack of volume.

This is the amp that would be if Peavey was still making the NV400 today.

And with what I have invested, it would still be less than what PV would have to charge.

The Fox NV400 mod'ed amp is the best bang for the buck going.

If I can just get one of those PV lite speakers.

Gonna do my Session 500 next.

Guitar-Vol Pedal-Amp: all I need.

Great job, Ken! Great turnaround, communication, and shipping.

Forgot to add that Ken went over and beyond the call of duty and took care of a couple other issues at no charge to me. What a great community this is!
Joe in LA

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Ken Fox

Not all mods are equal

Post by Ken Fox »

Just doing a mod for Joel McClung and found my second N-400 with a partial factory mod! Looks like some of the early factory mods did not have the Burr Brown installed. The rest of the mod was consistent with the mod kit they sell.

When doing the mod all I can salvage out this early mod is two resistors, R3 and R19. The rest of the parts go. All electrolytic caps in the Peavey mod are replaced with tantalum caps and the tone caps are replaced with Sprague Orange Drop caps..
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have 7 kits I can install that are not committed at this time. I recently put together 30 kits and that is what I have left now.

Thanks again to all that have had the "intense mod" done!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

bump
Joe Harwell

20 days later---Is it still good?

Post by Joe Harwell »

Better. I finally got the EQ "right" for me.
Just a little bump up on the bass.
Just a little cut on the Mid 800hz.
Just a little bump up on the highs.
Sweeten slightly with some presence.
Reverb to taste. Then enjoy!

Highly recommend.
If you live around close and want to come by
and check it out, please feel free to holler at me.

Will check back in in 6 months.
Will the honeymoon be over? Think not.
Joe in LA

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

5 kits in stock now. Thanks again!
Keith Ballmer

nashville 400

Post by Keith Ballmer »

Ken
I have have a factory mod in my Nashville 400 is there any other mods and can get done on my amp?
How much are the kits? I have a friend that repairs amp, I would really like to have my mids cleaned up alittle.
Keith
MARLEN S10 with a Crate V50 with custom speakers .. Local Artist 💪💪
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

A lot more can be done to the amp. The only thing I salvage out of the Peavey mod is the Burr Brown chips, some of the factory modded amps do not even have the Burr Brown chips in them from the factory.

With all due respect, the amp mod I do is nothing like a Peavey or Lemay mod in tonality. This is a totally different sounding amp when done with my mod.

Due to the tech support it would generate, I do not sell the kits. I can supply a parts list and instructions at no cost. Email me with you email address from the Forum and I will send that to you.
Last edited by Ken Fox on 6 May 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Here's another plug for Ken's mod from a happy camper since getting it back. And not to knock any "friend who is an amp tech", but you can expect the very best when Ken does it. Turn-around time is unbelievable as is the difference in the amp after the mod. A short conversation was all it took to realize Ken is an electronics wizzard and a man of his word. Money WELL spent.
Harold Dye

Post by Harold Dye »

Ken thanks for doing the mod on my 400. Sorry it took me so long to get there,but I think we dicussed all the construction (every 10.3 mi :lol: ). I cannot believe the difference the mod made. No more mid harshness, clean, clear and the reverb sparkles (on 3). This amp has many good years to go now. I use a little delay for fatness and this baby sings. This is like owning a new amp.
Ken Fox

Thanks!

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks Roger and Harold! It is my pleasure when I hear the feedback from all of you. Thanks again to all for letting me be of service.
Lynn Stafford

Another satisfied customer!!

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Well, I just thought I'd tell everyone how happy I am with my "new" Nashville 400. I've had a chance to play a few gigs since I got the amp back from Ken and let me tell you I could not be happier with the performance of this amp!! If any of you are still on the fence about trying this, you can be rest assured that you'll be satisfied with the results. Ken really knows what he's doing and he'll really provide the best, most dependable service that you could imagine.
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks again, Lynn! I am glad you and others are pleased with the "Intense Mod".

I appreciate all the feedback I am getting from our Forum members, it is very encouraging. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts about the mod with others.
Tom Palmer

Awesome sound!

Post by Tom Palmer »

Just a note to say I had a chance to hear both Russ Hicks and Joe Wright playing through my Nashville 400 with your intense mod installed this weekend in Spokane. They both sounded fantastic! Now if I could only sound half that good. I guess your mod doesn't actually help you play better, just sound better. For me that is a good start.
Congratulations on a great sounding mod! - Tom Palmer
Ken Fox

Thanks!

Post by Ken Fox »

Tom, thanks for the good news there! Nice to see the amp mod getting a good showing in Spokane. Thanks to Joe Wright and Russ Hicks for giving it a "test drive".

I have two more amps on the way this week for mods. I had a great report from Tom Campbell in Texas on his modded N-400. Much appreciated. The feedback from all of you has been great!

I have a few more kits in stock. I will order another 30 kits very soon and be ready to go again!

We will be out the whole month of August. We are driving to Oregon to visit relative and play some western swing music at Rudy Alexander's place in Estacada. Can't wait get there. I bought a 24" Fleetwood that is stored at Rudy's place. We will be staying in it. No rest allowed! I have several amps to mod for friends while up there as well.

Thanks again!!

Ken
Donnie Pierce

Post by Donnie Pierce »

Ken, Please send the Excel spreadsheet, Would like to try it. :roll:

Thanks Donnie
Ken Fox

email

Post by Ken Fox »

I sent an email requesting your email address. I can't send file attachments via the Forum Email system.

Anyone needing the files must email me from the Forum and send your email address in the body so I can respond.

Thanks
Ken
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I will have 30 kits ready to install in a week.

At present I am not selling the kits, only installing.

Let me know if you have one coming. Turn around is usually next day.

The install includes some maintenance itmes I feel are important to a healthy amp:

If you send you reverb tank and wires I will clean and re-tension the connections. I also clean all jacks and check for proper closure to ground on the input jacks. I also check and clean the power amp input and loop return jacks for proper operation. All pots are checked and cleaned as needed.

Any additional work needed will noted and an email sent right a way. I now keep knobs and pots in stock for the N-400 amps.
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Hey Ken, How about we call this one the Jim Walker mod. It was all my fault wasn't it? :oops: Ha!
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

OK, "now standby for the rest of the story".

Jim was my "true inspiration" to mod the first N-400. I sold Jim a N-400 that I have re-Tolexed and re-grilled. It was a typical N-400 with the older 1502-4SB speaker (ribbed cone).

Jim did not love the amp, to say the least! I bought the amp back and let it sit for several months. Sounded OK for N-400, but was my favorite amp by any means for guitar or steel.

I decided to do my idea of an "intense mod" on that very amp. I was shocked at the results! Still thinking it was my ear having a good day I sat the amp aside for a while again.

Roger Rettig came by for a visit after his tour in the West. I did some work on his Profex, Bassfex and other gear. Roger and I were talking about a new B-Bender I was having built by Bill Bores. He brought in his B-Bender to show me a few licks (the man can pick!!!). All I had

was that N-400 to play through. I apologized for that right away and he and I both agreed they were not a great guitar amp. Well Roger plugged in and picked a few notes and promptly asked what I had done to that amp! He really liked it. I told him about my mod and soon after he sent his up for the same mod.

So thanks to Jim Walker we have the "intense mod" Without his input none of this would have ever came about!!!
Jim Saunders

Ken's Logo?

Post by Jim Saunders »

Ken, I'd like to see you develop a logo that could attach to the amp grill that shows that your NV400, or whatever, has the Ken Fox mod. Like, the Jagwire stings decal you see on guitars, or the Walker seats. You get the idea.