Help with old Danelectro bass guitar.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jason Schofield

Help with old Danelectro bass guitar.

Post by Jason Schofield »

If anyone can help, we found this old Danelectro bass guitar in my Grandmother's basement. It's a short scale model. It must be from the early 60s', looks very similar to this one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Danelectro-SHORTHOR ... 0082936364

The problem is we bought a set of GHS bass strings and they don't fit at all. On the bridge or in the tuning nuts, and the strings are way too long. Anyone here ever had one of these or have any info on what kind of strings to use. My little brother wants to start playing the bass and this is all we have. Maybe it's worth some money and we should sell it and buy a cheap precision or something. Thanks so much in advance. Jason
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I don't know a lot specifically about old Dano's like this, but these are short-scale and your strings are made for the likes of 34" nut-to bridge--Fenders, etc. The following is general information...

If the gauges fit the nut slots (about half the string should be above the top surface of the nut), attach the string ball-ends at the bridge then pull each string end about 2" (or the distance between posts) past the post it will wind around. Make a 90-degree bend in the string*, then cut off the end about 3/4" beyond the bend. Then you have a workable length to wind as you tune up the string.

*--This right-angle bend keeps the windings from losing tension and unraveling.

Bass guitars are like the lowest four strings of a guitar, but two octaves lower. It may be that this beast is designed to be a single octave lower. (???) If so, you may need a Dano expert to correct what I've written above.
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

I had a '60 Danelectro Shorthorn bass exactly like that one. Actually a really cool sounding bass for R&B, but limited for more modern stuff, with only 15 playable frets. The lipstick pickup sounds very good, and they are completely shielded from hum with heavy copper foil all around the control cavity. Newer Danelectro reissues do not have this shielding.

You need a short scale string set, for a 30" scale bass. They are a little hard to find. A regular set is for a 34" scale, and won't fit the guitar sized tuners, as you discovered. The bridge end should be the same, though, so I don't know why they wouldn't fit. They are just wedged in under that little piece of chromed sheet metal that is the bridge piece.

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Jason,I have a Dano 59"Dolphin head bass also a short scale.Standard Bass guitar strings wont work,The ball ends are to big to fit the claw that holds them.I would write to the Danolectro people and ask them,The other thing is to have a machine shop make a new piece with more width.I tune mine to an "A"and use it like a Baritone guitar,I think that my low string is about a 0.60?which will fit your guitar, I'll have to check,It's incredible for recording,Try to keep it original...Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

As noted, it's a short scale bass. You can get strings for it at www.juststrings.com

-eric
Jason Schofield

Post by Jason Schofield »

Thanks for the help. I see that Juststrings.com has a few sets that might work. These seem to be worth a little money so maybe we should sell it and get something more modern. P bass ect... J
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

Oh, don't sell it! They have a unique tone other basses don't have. Very punchy and tight. A good bass to cut through a heavy mix. I have a longhorn I wouldn't part with.

-eric
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I agree with Eric...Don't sell it.it's a great instrument that they don't make no Mo'
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Doyle Weigold

Danalectro

Post by Doyle Weigold »

I ain;t home many Sat. nights and I don't watch Seinfeld, but he was on out in the other room. Isn't that a danalectro I'm hearin' in his theme and background?
John Cisco

bass?

Post by John Cisco »

No unfortunately.......it's all one guy playing synthesizer. Another one man band without one instrument. :(
Hal Schmid

Post by Hal Schmid »

Jerry Jones makes Shorthorn basses like these in his shop in Nashville. His web site lists the string gauges. http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/NSHbass4.htm Besides JustStrings, I think Musicians Friend carries a couple sets. Easiest to get the brand and stock number from JustStrings first. Hal