Kauai steeler, Ernest Palmeira

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Whitfield

Kauai steeler, Ernest Palmeira

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Havn't heard much from this guy, but he's on the new CD by slack-key artist Paul Togioka, playing a sweet style of steel.

Anybody have info on his history, or what he's up to?
Precious little to be found on a google search, and nothing here on the SGF.

He's also on the compilation CD, Kauai Ohana.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Hi Ron,
This from Lorene Ruymar (1996). Wow, can that book be over 10 years old by now? I've read and re-read many of the bios, and that name sounded familiar. Sure enough:

"Born in Kauai'i in 1930, Ernie is a paniolo, a Hawaiian cowboy. He learned to play mandolin and steel guitar at age 17. Got his first job playing steel at the Club Blue Lei on a National 6-string steel, using a tuning he got from Billy Hew Len. Toured with airline promotions to Caracas Venezuela. Played in Kauai'i at Lovell's Tavern, then Lincoln's Tavern with falsetto singer Kai Davis. Ernie's trio plays at the Hilton Kauai'i Hotel, also at the Fern Grotto, and at the Coco Palms Hotel, Wailua in the Larry Rivera show."

Hope that helps!
Eddie Cunningham

Ernie played with Larry Rivera Sr.

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

If one of you Hi. Islanders could contact Larry Rivera Sr. on Kauai he could probably tell you more about Ernie. Ernie played steel with the Larry Rivera show at the "Coco Palms" on Kauai until one of the bad Typhoons (Iniki ??) flattened it. I did one show in Mass. about 10 yrs. ago with Larry Sr. & Larry Jr. and Larry Sr. spoke very highly of Ernie !!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Lorene's book has a lot of info in it.
I keep telling her that it's her fault that I got involved with steel guitar again after 40+ years, and spent all this time and money on music related stuff.
My wife gave me Lorene's book for Christmas in 1998.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

My last contact with Ernie was a little while after he had made his Na Hoku O' Ke Kai album with Alberto Genovia. We had breakfast together at his favorite restaurant in Kapaa. A shy man, but a wonderful, giving human being with a lot of aloha.

At that time, he was only playing in special local events around Kauai. I went with him after breakfast to Lihue where he played in a pavilion in the center of town with his wife playing ukelele, and his brother, a rhythm guitarist singing. (Ernie is no singer).

I had the privilege of hearing Ernie in the old days 1960's & 1970's, when he played at the Coco Palms.

I had wanted Ernie to be one of the featured steel guitar guests at the HSGA and the Aloha International Conventions as one of the last of the old-time steel guitarists in Hawaii, but it never came off though I tried. Ernie is not a public person inclined to speak before larger groups of people, so he needs his brother who is the talker to go with him to such conventions. He plays the steel and lets his brother sing and do the talking. By the way his brother is an excellent guitarist and singer.

I am glad to hear that he is still plugging away.

Aloha,
Don :)
Brian LeBlanc

Kauai

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

- I was vacationing in Kauai in 2002

- could not find a steel anywhere..

- everybody wanted to play Ray-gay!
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Scott, thanx for re-printing the whole quote from THE book. I didn't have it handy when I posted, and only later placed his face with his thats in there, and thus somewhat remembering his little bio.

The info from everybody is appreciated.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Scott, thanx for re-printing the whole quote from THE book. I didn't have it handy when I posted, and only later placed his face with his thats in there, and thus somewhat remembering his little bio.

The info from everybody is appreciated.

Stupid computer...
Martin Curnan

Still steeling on Kauai

Post by Martin Curnan »

At 82 Ernest is still jamming. Saw him at the Lihue airport last night with another longtime well known entertainer Charlie Fu. For to get Ernest to the next HSGA convention.
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Martin,
Mahalo for your update. Looks like he has been doing this gig for the last five years.

In my last talk with Ernie, he said that he could make it to Oahu to play, but traveling to the Mainland was not feasible for steel guitar conventions.

HSGA board should invite him as special guest for upcoming HSGA convention in Honolulu, May 2013. I believe that it is time to give honor to whom honor is due.

Aloha, :)
Don
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Don Kona Woods wrote: HSGA board should invite him as special guest for upcoming HSGA convention in Honolulu, May 2013. I believe that it is time to give honor to whom honor is due.

Aloha, :)
Don
Yes! Alan Akaka goes to Kauai once a month to give lessons. Maybe he could help.
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

More good steel on Kauai is up in Waimea at the Plantation Cottages, there's a lovely restaurant there and every THURS night The Kama’aina’s play - not to be missed.
Chris Kennison
Rhythm Cats - steel, guitar, banjo, dobro
Gold Canyon, AZ
www.rhythmcatsshow.com
www.seldomfed.com
Former Member

Post by Former Member »

The Kama'ainas!!
Thats Ed Punua on steel. A great guy to hang with!
Also great to hear that Alan is still going over there...Alan and Ed along with support from the HSGA started the classes around 3 years ago, at a hotel in Kapaa. It was every Saturday morning back then.
I was lucky to get in, met Kekoa Blanchett, and another very cool Hawaiian, Kilipaki Vaughn. Fun times! Never got to meet Ernie though, but maybe saw him at the airport. (that was the best! you got off the plane, into the terminal, and you could hear the music as you headed to baggage claim. And then out into paradise!)
--someday, I'm going back to my little condo-shack in Poipu..
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

A few years ago, Olohena, a local group that includes Ernest Palmeira, put out this CD "Wailua Homestead". Terrific backyard style music, much like what you hear from the Kama'ainas (the group mentioned above). It's not a steel guitar album per se, but there are a few steel guitar instrumental numbers from Ernie, and he does take a great steel guitar instrumental break on all the other tracks. One of my favorite albums. It was a small production run, and may or may not still be available.

A while back, I was lucky enough be part of an informal jam session with Ernie here on Kaua'i. As soon as he showed up, I switched to ukulele and got to watch up close while he played all afternoon. Too much fun!