Loose leg plugs

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buddy Griffin

Loose leg plugs

Post by Buddy Griffin »

OK all you steel guitar mechanics, is it possible to repair/tighten loose leg plugs (the part that screws into the end plates) or do I buy new legs. 75 P/P

Buddy
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It depends on how loose they are. If they're really bad, you'll have to get a new leg (a microphone stand bought at a flea market or pawn shop can be a cheap source for the outer tube).

However, if the looseness isn't severe, I've had good luck with a super-bonder type metal adhesive called "Loctite 430".

Email me if you ineed instructions on the proper repair procedure.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I've had good luck with epoxy resin.

Take the plug out of the leg, mix up some epoxy resin, apply it to the plug and stick it back into the leg. Let it set up and you won't have any more problems.

I've repaired a lot of legs this way. :D
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Is the original plug just peened at the factory to keep it in the sleeve or is it soldered in or what.

I would like to shorten up some legs and wondered how to remove the plug, cut the sleeve and reinstall the plug.

Any advice here?? Thanks
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

It's not real loose, it causes a slight wobble, mostly noticeable when lifting guitar in and out of the case. I doubt it would be easy to remove the plug but if there is a way to do that without screwing up the leg I would try the expoxy route.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Buddy,
The end plug is just pushed into the leg. If it is loose, you should be able to pull it out quite easily. Clamp the threaded portion of the plug in a vise between a couple of wood blocks and wiggle away.
Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 2 Mar 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

Thanks Erv, I'll try it

Buddy
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Buddy,
If you still can't get it out. There is another method I've used:

Take the inside leg out and stick a wooden dowel down the portion of the leg with the plug. The dowel should be longer than the leg. Then pound the dowel on the floor to drive the end plug out.

This has worked for me when the other method failed.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Pesonally, I'd avoid using a vise or Vise-Grip pliers, as that might cause some visible damage. The "long rod or dowel tapping on the floor" removal method is preferred (by me, anyway). "Wiggling" might stretch the tube even more, and lead to cracking the chrome plating.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I don't know how you would ever stretch the tube unless you are wearing a big "S" on your chest. :D
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I had that problem with my Emmons many years ago. I used epoxy and it worked fine. I agree. Use a rod or dowel to remove the insert.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Also, if you have access to a lathe with a 3 jaw chuck after you remove the plug, you can put the plug end in the chuck and resize it, be carefull to not overdo it, and put the bottom end in a center to keep it straight. Then do the adheasive thing.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

Thanks guys

I really like the long dowel idea. A lot of good suggestions. I will try this and post a follow up.

BG
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I had the same problem, I was able to drip some super glue adhesive into around the plug, set over nite.. never moved again.
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Alan Harrison

Post by Alan Harrison »

I had this problem on my old Emmons. I drilled two 1/8 inch holes thru the leg and plug 1/4 inch apart and at 90 degree angles. Then drove 1/8 inch split roll pins into the holes thru both the plug and leg. Dressed it up with a file and no more wiggle.
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Take Tubing cutters, cut 1" off ,split metal and remove insert,put insert in very cold freezer,let set 2hr,s.Next warm up end of legg with
propane,be careful not to over heat chrome and discolor it.Take plug from freezer,tap into leg with would block.When this all reaches room temp again your legg will be boo koo tight.If the difference in the hieght look bugs you,do the other side the same way.
Jerry Pansier

Post by Jerry Pansier »

Buddy,I have had this problem several time through out the years. And tryed many diffrent methods of repair. the best repair I have found is I took one of the legs to a fabrication shop and asked if they could put a small bead of weld between the end of the leg and the insert well they did just that and to my suprise it was so perfect and small you could not tell it was welded at all and solid as a rock.I guess you would have to go to a shop with the right equipment and a real good welder to do that fine of work. Jerry
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

ok, here's how ya do it. Unscrew the clutch and remove the inner tube, insert a heavy steel rod in the end opposite the plug and use it to knock the plug out (sort of a pyle driver effect). Put the non threaded end into a vise and use a hammer and chisel to raise some grooves lengthwise along the non threaded side of the plug, rotating the plug as necessary. Use an old socket slightly larger than the threaded end and a hammer to knock it back in. Learned this from a reputable builder, works great!