Please Close

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Gareth Carthew

Post by Gareth Carthew »

Thank you Ken for sharing this information with us so freely!

All the best!!

G
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Please pack amp well or damage can result. This amp was packed in packing peanuts, shipped USPS. Packing peanuts are not sufficient and insurance claims would be denied for packing an amp with them. Click on picture below to open link. Click on each picture to enlarge.

by <a href=http://community.webshots.com/user/fenderonly> fenderonly</a><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 04 December 2006 at 02:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

Baloney! I thought. But I had a 1983 NV 400 that I bought in a pair sitting around collecting dust. So I sent it to Ken and got it back all within 7 days.

I have three other amps I use; a Steel King, a NV 112, and an Evans SE 200 small cab. I mostly use the Evans for gigs as it is small light and powerful. Sorry NV 112 fans but I have not been able to predict any sound reinforcement so it sits.

The Steel King sounds great but it is heavy so it sits as well. Friday the 8th I gigged with the 400 and it's "intense Mod".

I have always used SS amps, and when I used Twins or other tube amps, because that what was there to plug into, I have not been blown away. I could not detect the subliminal distortion with even harmonics, or the "warmth of the tube sound", unless I touched one.

Back to the modded NV 400. The chassis slid back into the cabinet like practiced partners (a medical term). There was an acceptable hum when reverb and amp turned to 11. The amp also weighed the same.

Playing with it on a cramped Manchaca stage with smoke and occasional scratch shot end cue in my face, was no obstacle. The amp now has much more volume and headroom. 21/2 pre and 5 post was more than enough volume with a 5 piece and a rockabilly lead player. Bass, Shift, Mid, High and Presence... ALL Sounded Good. In fact the Bass could be left at 5, a significant change. I need to fiddle with the mid and shift because 800, -6 works but needs adjustment. It all was clear and bell like, with no harsh areas even up to the 20th fret

Now the reverb. With the Evans, I use an RV-5 and I have been very pleased. On the NV 400 the reverb was usable from 2-8. Now it is guitar, volume pedal amp. Just perfect.

Next weekend I will use it in a very large venue with some sound reinforcement and I will mic it with a Senheiser amp mic.

In sum, this was a great experience, and I have a rejuvenated amplifier. I recommend this without reservation.

My NV 112 will begin to collect dust or go on sale.
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

I got to hear Randy's amp last week and this mod is everything they are saying. I see a trip to Ken for mine in the near future.

Mike Sweeney
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks for the kind words, Jon! I am getting more and more reports from customers very similar to your! So far everyone is very pleased. I feel like I got lucky putting together such a well accepted upgrade for this amp!

I can't take credit for "re-engineering" anything in the amp. The Peavey mod was my guide for the tone mod, just using higher quality caps was the only difference there.

The other significant change for tone was the use of tantalum caps in place of the electrolytic caps use for audio coupling. Just seemed like the thing to do at the time! We owe a hats off to Bob Metzger for the reverb mod I incorporated. That makes that reverb so much better!

The rest of the mod is just plain good maintenance, changing the power supply filters. Much like new tires for a car, it's a good thing!

I also check the reverb connectors at the tank and Molex connector, clean and retension as needed. I clean input jacks and the other patch jacks as well while I am in there. Pots are checked and cleaned, too.
David Kurrasch

Post by David Kurrasch »

Add me to the list of Ken's satisfied customers! I got my NV400 back from him last week, and it is a different amp, much improved. Also, I sent it out on a Thursday, and got it back the following Wednesday; less than a week!! I'd recommend it to anyone with a NV400, who can't quite dial out the "honky" midrange sound.
Thanks Ken.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I just wanted to let everyone know we will be taking a break from Dec 25 to Jan 1. If you have an amp on the way please let me know ASAP.

I generally get them out the next day. I have 1 Session 400/LTD 400 kit in stock and 7 Nashville 400 kits ready to install as well. It takes a week or less to get a kit in stock if I am out. I will try to keep the N-400 kits available for install, as I am seeing more of that amp right in the last month.

Thanks again!!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 18 December 2006 at 05:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Randy Beavers

Post by Randy Beavers »

The mp3 in this link was done with my Nashville 400 and a Black Box. Nothing else in the chain. The reverb is also from the N-400.

I'm SOLD on this mod!

www.myspace.com/rgb
Ken Fox

Randy's MP3

Post by Ken Fox »

Wow! I just got in from a week's vacation and got the MP3 via email from Randy. The sound and playing are just fantastic! It sure makes me feel good to hear the work I have done in use.

Thanks again to all who have had the mod done by myself or installed it themselves!
Dennis Lee

Post by Dennis Lee »

Hi Ken,

As a question, do you need the entire amp with cabinet and speaker? Shipping is very expensive because of the weight as you know. Also, I am having problems with my NV400 "cutting out" which I understand has something to do with the reverb. Any suggestions on how to accomplish your changes?
Ken Fox

shipping the amp

Post by Ken Fox »

It is best to ship the chassis only. As well, you can send the reverb tank and harness. I will test, clean and retension the reverb connectors as part of the service.

Pack well, see pictures above of damage! I do not recommend UPS for any amp that needs to be shipped!! I use FedEx for return shipping.
Dennis Lee

Excel sheet schematic

Post by Dennis Lee »

Ken,

Could I obtain the Excel schematic you are offering for these upgrades? I would be most appreciative sir. Thank you in advance for your time and effort. Dennis Lee
Ken Fox

email

Post by Ken Fox »

Due to changes in the Forum, I cannot send attachments when requested via the forum. Please email me from the forum and include your email address in the body of the email so I can send the files to you.
Dennis Lee

NV 400 mod

Post by Dennis Lee »

Thank you Ken!
Ken Fox

out of kits

Post by Ken Fox »

I have just enough kits to finish current orders

I should have 20 more kits together in a week.

Let me know if you have an amp on the way.

Thanks!
Ken Fox

Kits on the way!

Post by Ken Fox »

I have enough parts for 20 more amps on the way.
Corky Addison

Post by Corky Addison »

Ken,
I got the mod sheet from you about two weeks ago. I had my amp tech do the mod and took it from the shop and played a gig on that night without trying it out first and was completely blown away at the tone of the amp and the reverb. Thanks for all the help that you give on a regular basis.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Thanks, Corky. I am getting similar reviews on the ones I have installed and others have installed as well.

I have the parts in from Mouser for 20 more kits. I have a large order of caps coming yet to finish the kits. I have one kit in stock at present. It is already committed!

Please let me know when you are ready to ship and I will reserve a kit

Again, I will not be selling the kits, only installing them. The info is free and you can order it yourself from the same suppliers I use. No tech support for DIYers! Sorry, no time to handle the calls.

Email for the spreadsheets for N-400, Session 400 or Vegas 400.
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

Hello friends,

Ken modded a NV 400 for me, I am truly in love with the sound of this amp. Have used it on quiet gigs, loud ones, and consistently the thing sounds fantastic. Crisp singing highs, really rich midrange. I like it so much I am going to get rid of my rack system, why carry around a rack and speaker cabinet when a Nashville 400 with Ken's mod sounds better. Wish I had started using one years ago.

An old push-pull, a Goodrich LDR and a Nashville 400, duh, if I don't sound good with this rig, I should pack it in.

Ken is a perfect gentleman, who maintained great contact with me during the job, let me know when he'd received the chassis, gave me a call to explain what the amp needed, let me know when it was ready, real old school customer service. A great experience. I like his mod so much that I am going to have him find me another NV 400 and mod it and send it to me for a backup.

Great guy to do business with, and really knows his stuff. Highly recommended mod!

Gerald
Ken Fox

kits

Post by Ken Fox »

Looks the the kits will be ready in a few days. I had one part that came in wrong and those caps should be here today.

I should have 20 ready any day. I have one left in stock and it looks like 5 amps on the way now.

Let me know if you have one on the way. I will reserve a kit for your amp.

Thanks again!!!
Todd Kapeghian

Post by Todd Kapeghian »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent my NV400 to Ken for the mod's. Couldn't try it out right away as I found out that I also had a speaker issue as well. So..I got the speaker fixed and have been playing through the amp every since. Sounds Great! I went from having a amp that I thought I wouldn't even be able to sell( it's alittle road weary), to a amp that I will be able to gig with again. I also have a FSK and right now it's a toss up as to which one I like better. Their different, but both sound great. I would highly recommend anyone with a NV400 to send it to Ken. As Gerald Menke already said" Ken is a perfect gentleman". He kept me updated with lots of emails as to what he found and what he was going to do. Again,"real old school customer service" and a great guy to do business with!!! Thanks,Ken!!!
J. R. McClung

NV400 mods at Texas show?

Post by J. R. McClung »

Ken,

Will you be able to do some of these mods next month at the Texas show?

Thanks....Joel
Ken Fox

mods

Post by Ken Fox »

No, it takes about 3 hours to do one amp and a lot shop equipment that I do not carry to the show.

I will have hand-out info on the mods at the show. We will be limited to battery-less chips and Burr Brown chip upgrades for the effects units, Session 2-K amps and Trans-Fex Pro amps

Come on down and visit, we will be right by the main door to theh ballroom.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I have 18 kits together and ready to install. We will be out out town for the Dallas Show from March thru March 11. Let me know if to have one on the way.

Just shipped three finished N-400 yesterday. I have one LTD-400 ready to go, just waiting on a pilot lamp from Peavey.

I have one Session 400/LTD 400 kit on hand. I order those on an as needed basis. I am seeing far more N-400 and Vegas 400 amps than the older Session 400 or LTD 400 amps at his time.

Again, we will not be doping amps at the show. To much time and shop equipment needed to do them there.

We are looking forward to the Dallas Show, hope to hear and see a little more than last year (we were super busy with mods last year!!).

We will also have info about the various Peavey amp mods we can do here.

I will also have kits for the DIYers. Burr Brown chips (used in Profex 2, Bassfex, N-112 and N-1000 amps) ans the battery-less memory mod for various Peavey effects units and amps. No complete amp kits for the intense mods or Sarno mods are available.
Gerald Menke

Post by Gerald Menke »

I just had Ken mod a second NV 400 for me, it was delivered to me yesterday, I used it on a gig last night. Incredible sound with the push pull, blends in with our guy on B-3, acoustic through an amp, none of that where did my sound go, thing.

One big surprise, I think my days of bringing a separate amp to gigs for telecaster might be over. With the "bright" boost engaged, this thing sounds like a very clean Twin Reverb! I tried it last night before the gig, couldn't believe it. Ken turned this one around immediately, and as always maintained great communication with me. Shipped the amp to me packed like it was going on a lunar mission. I really recommend this mod, and this comes from a former dyed-in-the-wool boutique tube amp head.

Thanks Ken.

Gerald