Goldtone Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Carpenter

Goldtone Lap Steel

Post by Jack Carpenter »

I have a Gold Tone Reso now, I was wondering if the Lap Steel is any good in the Gold Tone? The Dynalap looks good also. I have Peavey Blazer 158, will it work okay for the Lap Steel? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just a play at home type. Thanks Jack
Kevin Ruddell

value

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Jack , the lap steel like the GT Reso is a good value for the money but not a great instrument . The volume knob is placed underneath your right forearm . As you pick you turn yourself down slowly with the motion of your right hand picking. I replaced the stock "speed " knob with another knob that is very small to offset this problem
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I just ordered an 8 string GoldTone from Elderlys. They are one of the very few companies that is making an 8 string model.
Cris Malone

Post by Cris Malone »

I've had a 6 string Gold Tone for about 7 months now and I love it. Great sound for the price. Haven't had a problem with the volume pot because I rest my hand on pickup cover most of the time. The amp you have is good for practice. I use a Fender Frontman Reverb. Jump in and have fun.
8)
Jude Reinhardt

Post by Jude Reinhardt »

The volume knob on my Gold Tone lap steel is on the treble side. I have both the Gold Tone PBS resophonic guitar and the Gold Tone Lap Steel. I'm still not used to the 30's Oahu position markers though. Sure wish they were the same as on the resophonic guitar. I have to disagree with Kevin. I think it's a great instrument. I can't find anything to critisize about it. I know I complained about the position markers but I had the reso for a year before I got the lap steel. I hard for me to switch back and forth between the two fingerboards. Maybe I should put more dots oon the reso.
"If we live in fear of banjos, then the banjos have won".

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

A friend of mine has a six string. It has a mellow sound and a great finish on it. I've been tempted to get one of the 8's myself.
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

Looks like there is one extra position marker but the others are in the 'right' place. Where are the Gold Tone laps built and who makes the pickup? Can the pickup be changed out easy?
Jack Carpenter

Post by Jack Carpenter »

Thanks for the input, I'm selling a Zum phase one over on the for sale page and think I will stick with the reso and lap steels for now. Jack
Kevin Ruddell

cover

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Jude ;

Good point about the pickup cover since I removed the one on my GT lap . It seemed to be in the way with regards to palm muting if I remember , it's been a while . Others have mentioned removing theirs for the same reason . The GT lap was the instrument I started on and it was great for that purpose , The Gold Tone folks deserve a medal for what they do and provided a product that didn't exist in the market at the time. I just feel that by spending more money your going to get a better instrument in regards to material used and electronics and fit/finish