Which Dobro Capo?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George King

Which Dobro Capo?

Post by George King »

What is the best capo to use for six string Dobro?Do the cheap ones work as well as the more expensive ones?Thanks George
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I've used a number of them. My two favorites have always been the flux capo and the beard capo. I now use the flux capo exclusively because the beard capo always created a sound that I didn't like and I was never able to get rid of it. I was told it had something to do with adjusting the plastic piping but I was never able to correct it. I didn't like the flux capo becuase I found it difficult to get on and off, but I've learned how to do it pretty easily now.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

There are a plethora of dobro capo discussions in the archives between the Forum, www.JerryDouglas.com, www.reso-nation.com, and www.resoguit.com.

More about capos than you would probably ever want to know.

The short answer, for me, is the newer Scheerhorn capo (different than the Scheerhorn/Flux mentioned by Bill), and the Bradley capo.

We did an informal capo test at a Rob Ickes dobro clinic in the Bay Area a year ago last December, and those two capos received the most "thumbs up."

The newer Scheerhorn capo is similar in design to the older Scheerhorn/Flux, but has more mass, which seems to result in less "tone death" than the older model.

I have a Beard capo , and I don't think it's that great, and the story is that Jerry Douglas has been playing lately with a prototype new Beard design capo, and dobroists everywhere are anxious to hear more about that.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 21 Feb 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

...and no, the cheap ones don't work as well. I would avoid the Shubb capo.
Mark
George King

Post by George King »

Thanks for the replies guys.I've been playing pedal steel for several years but just lately started playing dobro so I'm kinda new at this end of it...Geo
basilh

Post by basilh »

For me, This is the best :-

Basil
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I have the one that bas shows a picture of. I personaly never use it. First it really requires that there be actual frets that it sits on (at least mine does) and my current dobro only has painted fret markings. Other than that I just found it too clunky and not a particularly great sound. At least that was my experience with it.

I'll have to try the new Scheerhorn capo. I just got one of the stainless steel Scheerhorn steels and it is by far the finest steel I've ever used.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

The string height also has to be "on the money," and I had a couple of full time pro dobro players tell me that when playing a gig, it can be cumbersome to put on when one needs to be quick-which when you are playing in front of people-means most of the time!

I have talked to a guy that says he uses it for the recording studio, when the quickness aspect doesn't much matter.
Mark
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Beard is the best IMHO.
Simple, quick and easy to use, and it touches only the strings.

Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Doug, a little too much of what I like to call "tone death" from the Beard. You should try a Bradley or a Scheerhorn for comparison some time, but as we all know, you don't just get to pick up dobro accessories at your corner music store.

As I wrote above, Jerry D is testing a prototype re-designed Beard, so Paul Beard and company must figure that there's a better way to build this particular mouse trap

But the one you have pictured is certainly decent, and it is easy to use.
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 21 Feb 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
George King

Post by George King »

I see some of the Beard capos on ebay ect. but where do you buy the Scheerhorn capos?
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Elderly Instruments in Michigan is a dealer:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/SRGC1.htm
Mark
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

The Leno. It's easy on and easy off. The J Douglas was too light for me. Also, the one that supposidly fits all resophonic necks - doesn't.

Thanx,
Jim
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

We didn't have a Leno at our unscientific test with Mr. Ickes, but I have heard good things about the Leno myself.
Mark
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I've found that the problem with Dobro capos is that, either they pull down or push up on the strings, depending on the design. Either way it throws the tuning out. Personally I don't play much on the open strings, so I don't need to change the sounding string length when I change key.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

I bought a Sheerhorn squareneck, and though I don't use it much(yet) I like it.

Terry
Jerry Overstreet

Leno

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I have a Beard now, but I had a Leno on loan for several years and I liked it better. Easy on and off and I thought it affected the tone less. JMO. I'm in agreement with Jim Bates.

They were hard to find for awhile, but I believe they are making them again.
Drew Howard

Flux

Post by Drew Howard »

Bill Blacklock

Post by Bill Blacklock »

I've used a few different capos and the Leno is to my liking. Good tone, easy to ajust and it is not hard on the strings.
Terry Goodman

Post by Terry Goodman »

Found this interesting link in a Google search

http://web.telia.com/~u86505074/capomus ... phonic.htm
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Since the weight of the strings holds it in place, all you need is a round piece of bar slightly bigger than the height of the strings above the fingerboard. The bar is placed slightly behind the fret, which compensates for the extra tension put onto the strings by lifting them. The other advantage of having a bar beneath the strings is that you can slide over the capo without having a nut to hit.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I agree with Basilh.the one he has the photo of.
Joe Buczek

Post by Joe Buczek »

I have been using a Sheerhorn Flux capo for 7 years now and like it best. I tried/borrowed one that looks like the pictures of the Beard in this thread (don't know if it was a Beard, but I don't think it was), and I didn't like it. The band I play dobro in plays tunes in a number of keys, so switching tunings quickly is important for me.

My only gripe about the Sheerhorn Flux capo is that it seems ridiculously expensive for a capo: I think I paid $40 US for it. But if I lost or broke the one I have, I would almost certainly buy another just like it.
Joe Buczek
"My other steel is a dobro."
Williams S-10, Nashville 112
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Yeah Joe, the prices of a lot of these dobro capos does seem a little steep, but consider how many of each model is in existence: Probably very few compared to the more popular "regular" guitar capos, some of which are mass produced.

Even though the squareneck dobro is probably enjoying these days, the highest level of popularity in its existence, since being invented in the 1920's, compared to the number of regular 6-string acoustic guitars being sold-it would seem like it's a drop in the bucket.
Mark
Robert Shafer

Post by Robert Shafer »

......and now for something completely different.

Check this one out. eBay # 230099959682. Made on the principal of an engineer's clamp. Each one is hand made by the designer and uses quality materials.

It seems to work well for me.....but then, what do I know?

Oh, by the way, it's British.