Just when I thought it was safe to go back into

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Baz i enjoyed the performance and the history.

Any stories about Matt Monroe?
basilh

Post by basilh »

I can recall one particular incident in '67 when Matt was appearing at the Castaways and his good friend Dave Allen was appearing at another venue in Birmingham the same week.
Give me a few hours to put it together !!
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

I've got plenty of time, Baz.
basilh

Post by basilh »

Can't post it here Dan, I don't know how I got away with all the Pedal related stuff in this post, Brad is MOST tolerant.. but it's best not to 'Push my Luck'
so,
I'll post the bit about the Castaways and Mat Monro in the music section Under the thread title Mat Monro..
Baz

------------------
<SMALL>Steel players do it without fretting</SMALL>
Image Image

Chippy Wood

Post by Chippy Wood »

Thanks Baz I loved all those clips of you and Pat, beautiful playing, especially 'sweet Leilani' given me the urge to start up again. Hope to meet you someday.

------------------
Ron (Chippy) Wood
Emmons D10
Emmons D12

Patrick Thirsk

Post by Patrick Thirsk »

Absolutely great stuff Baz. Like Chippy I really am looking Fwd to meeting up with you some day soon......Regds...Pat.
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

Great stuff Baz

Do you by any chance have a video of Blue Hawaii? I have been hunting an E9 version as I had a request at the club I play at. You would not believe how hard it seems to be to find that one.

------------------
Chuck
Country Fever Band

basilh

Post by basilh »

Chuck, I'll do it later this evening and post it. 5-6 hours time OK ?
This should easily adapt to the E9th as it's in the E13 non pedal.
BEWARE of bars 7 and 9 the frets SHOULD be 6 not 8
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by basilh on 14 May 2006 at 09:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

Thanks Baz this looks great

------------------
Chuck
Country Fever Band

Peter

Post by Peter »

Kay, Wout Steenhuis was from Holland. He was a founder member of the Dutch Swing College playing guitar. During the war (WWII) American Dixieland music was prohobited by the Germans, so Wout doubled up on Hawaiian Steel guitar and the band would play Island music during the frequent razzia's. Wout worked later in the UK and made several LP's.(One day I will transfer them to CD.)

Kay, do you know what guitar Wout played? I do not recognise the brand at all.

Baz, did you ever meet Wout?

------------------
<FONT face="arial" SIZE=3 COLOR="#003388">Peter den Hartogh</font>
<font face="arial" size=1><B><I>1978 Emmons S10 P/P; 1977 Sho-Bud D10 ProIII Custom;
1975 Fender Artist S10; Remington U12; 1947 Gibson BR4;</I></B></font>
Kris Oka

Post by Kris Oka »

Baz, as always. That is the way I like to hear a steel guitar played. Enjoy your album but these video clips are even better. Thanks for sharing. Kris
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

Baz,

I enjoyed that clip of Pat's dad playing Ten Tiny Toes.

Not a Hawaiian song, but definitely a Hawaiian flavor.

I could listen to more of him.

Aloha,
Don
basilh

Post by basilh »

OK Don, there is a complete BBC broadcast here, download the tunes and play them on iTunes or windows media player or burn to a CD with NO BREAKS between the tracks, It's a continuous programme..
here are the individual tracks,
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/01.mp3
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/02.mp3
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/03.mp3
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/04.mp3

William Cox and the Waikiki Islanders pre 1939
Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by basilh on 14 May 2006 at 06:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
basilh

Post by basilh »

If you like the Jules Ah See version of 'sand' ( Sand Audio )
then you might find this useful
Sand B/T midi <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by basilh on 14 May 2006 at 06:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

Like many of your fans here, I try not to miss any luscious sounds or tasty tidbits, Baz. My thirst for those magically nostalgic elixers....
oops, sloshed my coffee again! Image
..BTW, would like to see the ENTIRE 'Hawaiian' version from you of the Third Man theme.
I've seen a video of the composer--(Anton Karas(?)sp.?) on film, playing a zither, probably in the late 30's/early 40's--hard to tell, but with an astounding display of finger dexterity, accompanying himself (one hand plucking bass strings, the other fretting down to get the melody) ..anybody else seen it, or have a link?
He looks like a mad scientist, but the music really is compelling, IMO. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Zimmerman on 15 May 2006 at 08:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Peter,

Lovely to hear from you and that steel guitar is alive in South Africa. From my knowledge, Wout had a very serious war injury to his arm, almost precluded him from playing guitar again, he lived later and recorded in Hampshire/Surrey or Sussex in the UK. He did many shows over the BBC, I am sure Baz would remember. He was unique in that he played steel guitar on stage with his own backing tracks.

Sounds like you have some of his albums, great. Although I found his style a little too sweet, one of my favourites is his rendering of krontjong music (a hybrid of Indonesian and Dutch influences), including the very popular " Bengawan Solo". I am afraid I do not know which guitar he played but from memory of one of his LP covers, it might have been a Rickenbacker bakelite.

------------------
kay