Band Intermissions

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

joe long

Band Intermissions

Post by joe long »

I guess that I am a little curious as to the time and number of breaks during a 4 hour gig. I have played with bands that break on the hour and then other bands may take 2 short breaks for a 4 hour gig. I admit that you have to go with the flow but I do have problems standing after sitting for 2 hours behind my steel.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but would like to know for my own information.
Don Discher

breaks

Post by Don Discher »

When we play the clubs, we play 1 hour the first set and then 40 on 20 off the rest of the night, works good.Special events may call for variations.
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Its been all over the road but usually 45 minute sets and 15 minute breaks has been a standard for a long time.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

On a standard Texas 4 hr dance we will take two 15 min. breaks. On a 3 hr gig we take one break unless the club wants something different.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

Usually for a 3-4 hour gig I've done 15 minute breaks every hour. However, I had a gig for about a year where we took one break in the middle of a 4 1/2 hour set, and that's because I asked--the first time I played, we played straight through!
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

I've played most Friday and Saturday's since 1981 and there is really no set formula, it is up to the club management. Where we are now (we've been there 7 years) we play 9-12. That is three sets:

45/15
45/15
and one hour straight up to 12

:lol:
Chuck
MCI D10 8/4 Nashville 400 and a Profex.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I can't recall many exceptions to one of the two following systems:

1. 50 on, 10 off
2. 4 hours straight through

4 hours straight was usually set in advance for special circumstances. As far as 50/10, it seemed to usually be the band's choice how to handle it and that timing is common around here. 45/15 the audience loses interest, and 40/20 you'll have people annoyed who came in and are now having their conversation interrupted by a band.

I like the shorter breaks - it's all that's really needed, and the audience doesn't get lost...
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
joe long

Post by joe long »

With the exception of one band, all other bands that I have been associated with take a short break every hour. What I have noticed in playing long sets is that everyone starts getting worn down by the last set. I realize there are exceptions. Some bands do play very long sets and do not have any problems with band members getting tired. Really, are long sets necessary. Most club owners don't care about your breaks as long as the band does not over do it.

New Years Eve we played 8PM - 1AM with 3 short breaks. That means that we were there by 7PM and did not leave until 2AM. The last hour the drummer would stand up between songs to stretch his legs. Speaking for myself, buy the end of the night I was drained of energy. I guess the old age thing is catching up with me.

I appreciate everyones input.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

The bands I've been in that took an organized approach to this (not always the case!) have generally done roughly 45/20 for a four-hour gig. That works out evenly: four 45-minute sets=3 hours, three 20-minute breaks=1 hour. Seems to me to be good for the band and the audience.

I can play longer sets, of course, and often have to, but for me doing 45's keeps me feeling "fresh" and enthusiastic about music all night, and it doesn't feel like work. Breaks longer than 20 I get bored or restless--I don't enjoy barroom atmosphere, would never be there if I weren't playing--but shorter than fifteen doesn't allow enough time to recharge.

As for the audience, I think it keeps the band fresh for them as well, and gives them time to enjoy socializing. This is assuming the music played during breaks is not as loud as the band!

I should point out that the gigs I play are not at the serious "country dancing" clubs--in those places (I've done way too many before) the people couldn't care less if the band or the DJ is playing, as long as the music never stops for a moment, so why not take breaks for the band's sake, as long as the management doesn't think you're ripping them off!
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Joe - The current band I play with is 45 on 15 off. But I have played with bands that have a 4 hour gig, and we would be lucky to get a 15 minute break. The guy likes to hear himself sing.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

It's typically 50 min on, 20 min off in my area.

The times are slightly adjusted so we end the night at the agreed to time.

You really have to ask the management. I've been in situations where we played longer sets, took shorter breaks, and had the owner complain about it at the end of the night. He thought he sold more booze when people weren't dancing. :?
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Back when I was playing bar jobs, where there was lots of dancing, we ALWAYS played 45 on and 15 off. The Boss liked those 15 min off, that's when he sold a lot of drinks.
We got them all tired out from dancing, then they and us refreshed ourselves....al.:):):)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Miguel e Smith

Post by Miguel e Smith »

As mentioned before, some gigs (corporates, etc...) will call for flexibility (for speeches, awards, etc...) but many times it works in the bands favor (means longer breaks). Overall though, I think it's up to each band to decide what the basics are and keep fairly consistent. If you simply do a 45/15 situation, you'll end up playing a longer set somewhere in the mix (i.e.; if a 4-hour gig and you take a 15-min break each hour, you'll have a hour set last).

If we're setting the general pace and rules, we do 40/20 (of course, if it's a dance crowd we don't always stick hard to the formula as we don't wanna kill the atmosphere). This works out to be exact set lengths each hour (sometimes we do an hour first set and then pace accordingly).

Many of the New York folks who book gigs here in the West will say NO band breaks and will simply let a few musicians at a time leave the stage while the others keep rockin and just for bathroom and beverages only. I've only done a few of those in the last 10-years while working with other bands. Our band won't do those at all (well...I guess there could be a price to lure us in).

Miguel
Mike S.
"Mike & T's House Of Steel" (band)
www.houseofsteelband.com
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

If we're setting the general pace and rules, we do 40/20 (of course, if it's a dance crowd we don't always stick hard to the formula as we don't wanna kill the atmosphere). This works out to be exact set lengths each hour (sometimes we do an hour first set and then pace accordingly).
If it's a four-hour gig, you must always do an hour first set, or you'd be ending the night with a 20-minute break! :? :)

One time the band I was playing in was working at a club where the owner was a real @#%! about turning off the jukebox at the precise moment our 10-minute break was supposed to be over. So our fantasy was to stop playing, wherever we were in the song, at the precise moment (there was a bar clock with a second hand in front of the stage) that the break was supposed to begin, and remember where we were in the song and start the next set where we left off. :D I don't think we ever had the nerve to do it, but I wish now we had!
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I work with several guys in the Austin area that generally do three 1 hour sets on a 4 hour gig, with two 30 minute breaks in between. I personally don't like to sit around for 30 mins, I'd just as soon be playing, but it's not my call.

In their defense, a couple of these guys are singer/songwriter types with aspirations for bigger and better things, which requires at least a regional fan-base that will follow you around a bit. On breaks they are busy out in the audience glad-handing anybody that will stand still long enough, doing the 'ol PR thing... so maybe that's ok.

Surprisingly, I haven't really heard any negative feedback from the club owners, and they generally DO like to see the band guys (at least the name guy) hanging with the patrons.

On the other hand, I lived and played in the Dallas/FW area from the late 70's to the mid 90's. Up there, the general rule was 5 hour gigs, 45-15, and a lot of those club owners were VERY picky about breaks. Not sure what it's like there now.

When I moved to Austin back in the mid-90's, it was a total culture shock (in a good way), I haven't played a 5 hour gig since I've been here....
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

If it's a four-hour gig, you must always do an hour first set, or you'd be ending the night with a 20-minute break!
When they want to end at precisely 4 hours (usually not that important) We do the LAST set for an hour rather than the first.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

A typical 10:30pm - 2am schedule in college-town clubs around here is:

Set 1: 60 minutes
Break: 20-minutes
Set 2: 70 minutes
Break: 20 minutes
Set 3: 45 minutes

Of course, it may vary to suit the situation. Breaking at 1am can be a crowd-killer, so sometimes bands break earlier, keep it short and come back to finish a longer 3rd set. Other times, it makes sense to take a longer first break and just play through the second break.

On the other hand, sometimes - for example during a big football weekend if the band is getting a significant chunk of the door - the objective is to get people to leave so new people can come in to pay a cover charge. So bands sometimes take more frequent or longer breaks. There are no hard and fast rules. As long as the joint's jumpin and people keep the cash registers going ka-ching, management is usually happy. Owners will sometimes meddle if things are slow.

My experience is that corporate or wedding/private-party gigs have their own special and individualized rules.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Jim-Good idea, we usually played an hour on the last set and played slow , "Make out" music for the guys and gals..LOL..al.:)
Michigan (MSGC)Christmas Dinner and Jam on my 80th Birthday.

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus
Simon Stephenson

Post by Simon Stephenson »

Wow guys. Maybe we're a bit soft here in the UK but it is highly unusual to have to play for more than 2 hours (typically 9 - 11) with a short break in between. That said, the new late licensing rules mean that there are more 3 hour gigs out there (typically 3 x 45 mins). Only exception is generally new years eve but then you can get 3 times the normal fee. Even then, 3 hours is generally the rule.

In my band at the moment, we only do 30 minute gigs. That said, we are doing all original material and normal play with one or two other bands.

I have to say that I take my hat off to you guys.

But at least you're sat down!
Michael Strauss

Post by Michael Strauss »

Hi Joe,

Bands I've played in were 40/20 45/15. Sometimes we would play for over an hour depending on the crowd. The longest break has been 30 min.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I try to squeeze in an intromission every 45 or 50 minutes... :oops:
Ernest Cawby

breaks

Post by Ernest Cawby »

In Quitman Ga, we play for seniors, start at 6 1 hour of gospel singing with walkons, from 7:00 till 11:00 most times with no break, the crowds thin starting at 9:00 from 10:00 till 11:00 we have a jam session or work on new stuff, we have played till 1:00 if we got wound up and are having fun.
Some times it is tiresome for these old going on 77 year old buns. But heck we are having fun most players wish they could do.
Most of the ones playing with us have been at it for 30 to 50 years.
We also have visitors from all over Ga. Jack conyers comes in some times last Friday nite. We have had as many as 4 steels there at one time we just take turns at the breaks.
Ken Fox plays Tele or mabe his MSA.

ernie

:lol: :roll: :wink:
joe long

Post by joe long »

Bill Terry, I know what you mean about Dallas in the 70's. Dallas is my home town. In the mid 70's and early 80's I ust to play 6 hour gigs at the Foolish Pleasure on the strip in Grand Parie. The good part, we had plenty of breaks. I can't tell you just how many clubs were in this strip center between Grand Parie and Arlington. Those were the days.
Mike Winter

Post by Mike Winter »

If the club wants 45/15, then that's what we do. If it's up to us, we play longer at the beginning, like an hour or 90 minutes, then taper it down to where the last set is 30 minutes. The reasoning is two-fold: First, there are more people during the first part of the night. And secondly, it's easier on us to play longer while we're fresh, then shorter sets when we're tired...oh to be 30 again. :)
sonbone

Post by sonbone »

Bill and Joe, the gigs here in Dallas are still 5 or even 5 1/2 hours. The set times are set by the clubs and are different at every club. In general the breaks are 20-30 minutes. The sets might be 40, 45 or 60 minutes or some combination thereof.
Sonny Morris sjm227@hotmail.com