Personalized license plates.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lyle Clary

Personalized license plates.

Post by Lyle Clary »

How many of you all have license plates pertaining to your steel guitar besides Kevin from Minnesota and me. His is SHO BUD and mine is ZUM D 10
2006 Zum D10 8x8,1969 ZB Custom D10,
10 3x4 Peavey Nashville 112 Peavey LTD 400 2014 Zum Encore Wood Grain 4x5 Stage One pot pedal
LARRY COLE

Post by LARRY COLE »

12 U.
I have a 12 string universal Williams.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

STLGITR
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

a French Chef in upstate NY has : FROGLEGS

it's impossible to get custom plates in France
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 17 Feb 2007 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Doug Livingston has "PlayC6"
basilh

Post by basilh »

In the Uk it's not really possible to get 'Custom' plates, but with a little ingenuity you CAN find good ones..
D-10-GTR would be possible but the limits placed on plate transfer are daunting.
B A 51 I L S works out as Basils, that cost £2500
MU 51 CAL was sold for £10,000 to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

DVLA Personalised registrations
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

When I lived in Kansas City, Mo I had "STL-GTR"
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

If I was a poseur, it would cost me nearly £12,000 for ARC111E.

Arch.
Patrick Thirsk

Post by Patrick Thirsk »

I once followed an old Hillman Minx with the plate "PAT 1" What would I have to pay for that one today??
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

Saw one at the Dallas show last year C6 - E9 took a picture but don't know how to post it on here.
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

The "E9-C6" TN plate belongs to Mr. John Hughey.
Now you know the rest of the story.................. JD
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

This was taken last year in Dallas by Jim Gorrie, I believe.
Tommy Allison

Post by Tommy Allison »

Jeep Cherokee STEELIN, Honda Gold Wing C6TH, Harley Softail E9TH.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My Florida tag reads:

'E9 C6'

It's a whole different deal in the UK, as others have said. They have to conform to a numerical 'standard', and for years there has been a thriving trade in old registration numbers that, coincidentally, have some relevance to someone or something.

Then the Government got in on the act (maybe twenty years ago?) and began to hoard the numbers that might have a perceived value to somebody.

One notable example was the 1977 registration mark, "ELV 1 S" - it was sold at auction, I think.

The Law states that numbers can't be 'closed up' to make a word or name, but this is flouted fairly regularly, I think. That 'ELV1S' plate appeared on a cream Jaguar XJS in due course.

'My' plate (I should have been so lucky!), 'RR 1' was issued in the 1920s in Derbyshire, and it languished on a derelict Morris or Austin saloon in a farmer's barn for years. When it came on the market there were some very serious bidders, but it went to Mann Egerton (a West End Rolls-Royce dealer) who say that it will never be for sale again.....

This nonsense is a good deal easier on this side of the Atlantic!!!

RR
basilh

Post by basilh »

Roger Marmite isn't available as a reg. but is as a spread. Its on it's way.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Basil!!!! That simple act of kindness should be enough to get you into the SGHOF - without you even playing a note!

Maybe: 'MRM 1 T'?

The interesting part about the restrictions of the UK laws is that a degree of ingenuity is required to make the game work. Here in the US you can request almost anything - you just have to be the first to ask for it. When I applied for 'E9 C6' in Florida (three years ago) I thought it unlikely such an obvious one would still be available, but it was.

Some people in the UK will use a transferred number in order to confuse the real age of their car. Since 1963 there has been a system of/suffix/prefix letters that plainly determines the year of registration. Transferring an old pre-1963 number (provided you can satisfy the myriad regulations covering this action!) might make it less apparent that one is driving a relatively ancient car.

I'd owned a lovely 1962 Vanden-Plas Princess 3-Litre that was first registered: 4911 MU. An expert can divine that it's a '62 number, but not the average 'Joe'. I moved that number from car to car until I finally sold it for 600 Pounds just before I emigrated to the land of 'vanity plates'.....

....and here's a bit more minutia - London Transport, whose Routemaster buses had registration numbers to match the vehicels' stock number (eg: RM 112's tag was 'VLT 112'), made a great deal of cash selling those pre-63 non-suffix numbers on the open market. It was a bit confusing for us bus afficionados for a while, but they didn't care!

RR
(E9-C6 - given my level of ability on the back neck, I think I'll ask if I can have a lower-case 'c'..... :lol: )
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Years ago, I was tempted to apply for: 1 D10 T but thought better of it. Instead, I have "KEOKI" on my plate which I am often asked about. :P
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Mine is 6-string related. TELE-1
Robert Leaman

NC Plate

Post by Robert Leaman »

North Carolina

PEDLSTEL
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Mine is a plate my wife gave me as a Christmas gift 2005...it says "hsteeler".
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

As I'm stuck with the name Anthony Richard Smart, the last thing I want is a personalised number plate.....

I suppose I should think positively and be proud of the fact that I am truly the only Smart ARS. on the Forum.
erik

Post by erik »

This is a cool thread, can't wait to read more. Of course steel guitar, one of the few occupations/hobbies not to run out of custom plates too quickly. :P

I remember seeing a NY plate last summer with the number 1 on it. It might of had another letter, but I remember saying to myself, no THAT is a vanity plate!
-johnson
George Rout

Vanity Plates

Post by George Rout »

Even though I retired from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) who is the authority for highways, drivers and vehicles in Ontario, we don't have one because my wife is my chauffeur and she doesn't want some kookie musician bothering her. However, there are many nifty ones. At MTO, they have an ongoing multi-national/language committe to ensure that what is okay in one language, doesn't offend another. They also filter out such examples as 4NAK8. There was a chap who was issued JAP POW, and somebody complained about it, and the MTO tried (I think it was unsuccessful) to recall the plate. Lots of fun.

The vanity plate is the result of only one thing, and thats for MTO to make more money for the government coffers. You can get plates with all kinds of symbols (i.e. firefighter) and then some alpha/numerics along with the regular plates of just plain nifty words. Geo
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Here's the site to our DPS-motor vehicle services. As you can see we have many options when it comes to plates & MV registration. Yes, the states making money on us again :roll:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PlBrochure/Brochure.html
George Rout

Vanity Plates

Post by George Rout »

For what it's worth, here's the Ministry of Transportation Ontario personalized plate sample page:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... c1.htm#pro

Anything to make money!!!

Geo