Does anyone remember Chuck Adams?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Nick Reed

Does anyone remember Chuck Adams?

Post by Nick Reed »

Dusty Owens & the Rodeo Boys were at one time a staple on 50,000 watt WHO-AM 1040 khz in Des Moines, Iowa. "Chuck Adams" was the Steel Guitar player who played this classic T-8 Fender Custom on the WHO Saturday Night Barn Dance Frolic. This show was able to be heard in 30 different states every Saturday night. What a HOOT!
Does anyone remember Chuck from those days of yesteryear?

Nick<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 02 May 2006 at 08:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

Im, wondering if this is charlie Adams, who is playing some realy hot steel on mid 50s, pee wee king, tunes ie Catty town/ ballroom baby?.
Lee
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Boy, I heard this guy play in the late fifties on a triple neck StringMaster, and he was incredible. He played "Lady Be Good" like I've never heard it since.
He was demo-ing for Fender at the time, they tried to get him toplay a Fender 1000, but he insisted on the Stringmaster.
Talkabout a potential "Hall of Famer"!
Wonder where he is?
Bobbe
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Bobbe,
In the picture above, is that a Stringmaster or a Custom? It looks like a short scale 3 legger to me so I assumed it was a Fender Custom. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected!

Nick<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 03 May 2006 at 07:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Custom is your answer, this picture was made way before I met Chuck. There were no Stringmnasters when your "Chuck" picture was taken. (Around '51) I met Chuck in '58.
Bobbe
Chuck Rich

Post by Chuck Rich »

Nick, I knew Chuck Adams very well,as he and I took lessons from the same teacher,Russ Waters at the Honolulu Conservatory of Music in Flint, Mi. Chuck was 4 years older than I. He was one of my first heroes as a player. Very fast and clean . He went to DesMoines, Iowa to Radio station WHIO with Dusty Owens when he was just 16 yrs. old. He also worked with PEEWEE KING in the early fifties. I heard from Dusty Owens a couple months ago and he informed me that Chuck Adams died about 2 yrs ago of Kidney failure and other health issues. He was living in Arkansas. I'm not sure if he was still playing. I have an old recording of him taken off WHIO radio in DesMoines when he was just 16 playing Texas Playboy Rag. Someone else I consider a good friend and super player, who also took lessons from Russ Waters is Terry Bethel, as you all know worked with Mel Tillis for years. Just in case Terry reads this I want you to know, he is also older than me. By the way, the guitar Chuck is playing in the picture was a triple neck Fender Custom.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Just a bit of ‘Trivia’ for Nick, or anyone else interested: You can tell a Dual~Pro/T-8 Custom from a Stringmaster when looking at the front of the body, if nothing else; by the fact that the Diamonds are smaller on the Dual~Pro/T-8 Custom. The Stringmaster has larger diamonds only the front. If you turn that picture around, you'll notice all (4)-diamonds are the same size! Image

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment