Midnight At The Oasis

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jon Light

Midnight At The Oasis

Post by Jon Light »

In the Pete Anderson article in David Mason's thread Pete says
I’m going to get eight bars, or 16, in a song to play something, and the watermark is [Amos Garrett’s solo on] “Midnight At The Oasis.
Yeah, amen to that.
I haven't had Maria Muldaur's album since I left it behind somewhere back in the early 70's and I've maybe caught the song on the radio once every 5 years.

Request---does anyone have this and could they post a clip of the solo? I haven't heard it in so long and like Pete, I consider it such a perfect little gem. A benchmark.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

IMO,Amos's solo on this song was one of the best ever put on tape.
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Amen, Amos Garrett is a great player. If you get the chance to hear him play "Georgia" with thos Garrett bends, you'll be floored. He is a favorite of mine for sure.
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

I completely wore out my Maria Muldaur tapes just listening to Midnight at the Oasis and Lover Man, another solo similar to the one in Midnight. I'd love to hear them again.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Yeah that is one of my all time favorite guitar solos.
Still standsup well 20+ years later. Same for Maria's voice.

I have the cd somewhere, but no clue at the moment.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Stephan Miller

Post by Stephan Miller »

Yeah, "Lover Man" and "Georgia" with Geoff & Maria Muldaur, and "Midnight" with Maria...Amos Garrett classics. My favorite of his solos is on "Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You" from "Geoff Muldaur Is Having A Wonderful Time"...whew.

Sorry about the slight topic drift, Jon. As it happens, I have all of the above on vinyl, CD or both-- except "Midnight At The Oasis". Never owned it, dunno what recording it was on.

--Steve
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Ooh. Send your camel to bed!
Randy Phelps

here is the solo

Post by Randy Phelps »

Last edited by Randy Phelps on 29 Jan 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Overstreet

midnight

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Idabetta hunnert bucks that I had the LP, but so far all I have found is the "Waitress" LP. Mr. Garrett is all over it with an equally stellar lineup of musicians.

I'll keep ahuntin'.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 29 Jan 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Famous Amos did a memorable solo on " Love what you're doin' child" with Ian & Sylvia
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Amos was/is really great with those double stop bends. He also plays with a thumbpick like you're supposed to!! I read an old GP magazine interview where he said that in the studio he used a thumb pick and bare fingers but on live performances he used fingerpicks.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

Randy, I get a message that it's an unknown file type. Do you know what the extension should be? Thanks.
Deborah Mundell

Thanks Randy

Post by Deborah Mundell »

:lol: :lol: It has been a long time since I heard any part of that song - now I want to go out and buy a copy somewhere. Thanks for the memories!
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby

David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Deborah, it's on Amazon.

My copy just fell into my hand this after noon.
Lovely, it's gonna join Tom Morrell in the truck cd changer tomomorow
Last edited by David L. Donald on 31 Jan 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Hey Randy--I totally didn't see your post until just now. Thanks for that but....this has come up before for me and I don't seem to be able to open mp4's. Frustrating.

--interesting about picking with bare fingers. Doesn't surprise me one bit. Any time I mess around with playing without my picks I find sounds that there's no way I'm going to get with my picks on. In my mind's ear I can imagine Amos's solo coming out of that extreme expressiveness of tone you can get from finessing every string with nekkid fingers.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Geoff and Maria's "Pottery Pie", featuring Bill Keith and Amos Garrett, has always been one of my favorite albums.
Randy Phelps

sorry!

Post by Randy Phelps »

Sorry about the mp4 thing.... I think you'd have to update either media player or quicktime.... it probably isn't worth it just for the solo...

try this instead

it is at 1:21 Of the song.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I didn't see your latest mp3 until just now......I did some investigating and found that my best option was to update my seldom-used Winamp to 5.32. Done and success--I've got your mp4 and I thank you. Having done this sort of thing---ripping songs or segments---numerous times for people, I know that there's more to it than just punching a button and calling it done so let me acknowledge your time & efforts and again, thanks, man. Just what I wanted to hear.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Hadn't heard this in many years, but this thread made me look it up on Rhapsody, and dig his solo all over again. I couldn't help noticing how much some of Jerry Donahue's playing sounds like this solo; don't know if he's ever mentioned being influenced by Amos.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Amos is alive and well and living in High River Alberta, half an hour from my home. He plays all around the world still, around western Canada with his eh-Team band. For the last few years, he's had acrylic nails installed and dropped the fingerpicks. Still plays totally uniquely and with class and style.
Jon Moen

Post by Jon Moen »

I recall reading that the "Midnight" solo was a few different parts dropped in from a number of takes. They did a great job.