Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brian Henry

Shobud lap steel

Post by Brian Henry »

Did Shobud ever build a lap steel?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

By Lap-Steel, if you mean any Sho-Bud w/o Pedals; yes, quite a few. I personally owned a D–10 and a Quad–10, built by Shot Jackson. A D–8 was also built for Little Roy Wiggins and Jerry Byrd had several 8/7 Sho-Buds.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thank you John

Could you post a picture of what one looks like.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I don't really have any good pictures, however; they l©©k exactly like a PSG, but; with a solid-bridge and no pedals.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

Shot Jackson made one for himself and other than that, the closest that I know that ShoBud came to a lap steel were the Jerry Byrd fry pans. Maybe someone else can remember more.
Bryan Bradfield

Post by Bryan Bradfield »

In the recent 1 hour appearance by Robert Randolph on Austin City Limits, there is a single neck non-pedal Shobud clearly shown.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Bryan,

Did it have legs?. Also did the cabinet look. Did it have 10 strings? Did it look just like a pedal steel but witghout pedals? regards tbh
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Jerry Byrd's guitar is a ShoBud double, one neck with 7 strings, and one with 8. I heard it was custom built for him, and it's quite fancy.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

<SMALL>Did it have legs?. Also did the cabinet look. Did it have 10 strings? Did it look just like a pedal steel but witghout pedals? regards tbh</SMALL>
I'm not Bryan, but I just saw that ACL show last night.
Yes to all questions.
It had legs, nice flame maple, and ten strings. It wasn't quite as deep as a pedal, but had the Sho-Bud look to it.
Bryan Bradfield

Post by Bryan Bradfield »

tbh:
Yes, the Shobud had 4 legs. It was being played from standing height. I cannot recall whether it was built for 8 or 10 strings. I seem to recall that it was only partially strung up (5 or 6 strings perhaps?). It had a Shobud decal on the front. Did it look like a pedal steel? Tough question. It was a Shobud. It had a pretty lacquer finish. However, when I see an instrument being played at standing height, with no pedal rods showing, I certainly don't see a pedal steel.
Jack Byrd

Post by Jack Byrd »

Jerry indeed had a one of a kind Sho-Bud. It was made around 1965-66 and it was a favorite guitar of his and used on most of his work since then. It was given by him to Scotty last October.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Jerry actually had more than one 8/7 built! The 1st. one indeed was built between ’66 & ’69. The 2nd. one was built in the early to mid ’70's. I know this, because; when it was ready to ship, no one knew his preferred tunings and I offered to string it up before it was shipped! The guitar might have been intended for one of his students in Oahu or as a spare, (It didn't have the Special-Wiring or Gold Hardware) but; it was shipped to Jerry from the Sho-Bud store/shop in downtown Nashville, on Broadway. Where it is now is anyone's guess! I wish I had it! Image

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

I've never seen a Sho-Bud like the blonde flamed maple console on the Robt Randolph ACL show. It was being played by Aubrey Ghent, a member of Randolph's church's band and one of his teachers there where he grew up. Robt and his primary teacher seated to his right-rear, played seated while their remaining Gospel Steeler / church friends played standing. The Sho Bud had a VERY shallow deck / cabinet (?) even for a console, and appeared to me to be like a pedal Steel deck with just enough side cabinet valance to hide a sub-frame which I think it had to have to prevent cabinet drop with such a shallow top. The frame probably received the legs too.

I too was hoping someone might have recognized that Steel and had some more information about it to post here.

I kicked myself for not noticing what was at the bridge area.

Aloha,
DT~

(Edited to correct a couple of errors previously posted).<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 22 February 2005 at 02:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Edited Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 16 February 2005 at 02:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

In all my years in this business I have never seen a real SHO-BUD lap steel. Also I have never seen a SHO-BUD made out of "Flame" Maple.To find out more about the authenticity of a Sho-Bud you can call GRETSCH at 912-748-7070 and ask for ERNIE. He can possibly verify if a guitar was built or Rebuilt at the Sho-Bud factory.Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

This says that it was restored by sho bud. Does that mean that it was originally manufactured by Sho bud??
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Mr. Bledsoes sho bud is a beauty! Is that maple with just a clearcoat? Also, what tunings does he use?
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

The Sho-buds in question (as seen on "Austin City Limits" with Robert Randolph, Aubrey Gent,etc.) were assembled by myself seven years ago out of 100% Sho-Bud parts.
With the permission of the Jackson family, I have built several "lap" steels out of the Sho-Bud parts that I bought in 1985 from the closing Sho-Bud factory on second Ave. in Nashville.
I still have many parts including the wood, fretboards, pickups etc. and may build (assemble) some additional guitars in the future, but am quite busy with other projects at the moment. The legs and sockets are in my store and are for sale now. I have assembled several for the "House of God" players, and several of the Nashville players (Billy Robinson, Bob Moore, Buford Gentry, Howard White etc.)that want to add a little piece of Sho-Bud Nashville history to their collection.
For those that want a great little guitar in the future, there may be hope, until the original parts run out,
bobbe <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 21 February 2005 at 07:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Hmmmmmmmmm...............

After Ed's and Bobbe's posts, I feel like a fish circling bait, ....but what the heck; This sho do look like a Sho-Bud lap Steel . . . . . .

Aloha,
DT~<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 16 February 2005 at 02:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

Denny- This "FRYPAN" as far as I can tell is for real.I forgot how many SHOT built, but I think there are some "FAKES" out there.It all comes down to where, when, and who sold it. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Thanks Ed. Yes, that one has "all" the signs of being genuine. I just didn't understand your suggesting you never saw a Sho-Bud lap Steel, ...while I have been under the impression that the SB/JBFP was a SB lap Steel. .....Swimming all around what seemed might be bait, before I bit it!

Aloha,
DT~
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 16 February 2005 at 02:51 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

Denny-I was refering to the "WOOD" body Sho-Bud lap steel. I still think they only used curly maple for the bodies. ED
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

Here's a photo of Aubrey Ghent from the Austin City Limits show playing the Sho-Bud non-pedal. Looks like a 10 string but he only has 6 strings on it. And it is a Tri-Pod...I don't know why, but I really like tri-pods!
God Bless Aubrey Ghent <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 20 February 2005 at 02:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

<SMALL>Mr. Bledsoes sho bud is a beauty! Is that maple with just a clearcoat? Also, what tunings does he use?</SMALL>
tbhenry; that is not my Sho-bud(?wheather or not it is a sho-bud build) it is only in the "house of wood" at mightyfinemusic.com because that section is dedicated to the beautiful wood steel guitars.
I ONLY PLAY GEORGEBOARD
Richard Davis Bledsoe aka Ricky Davis

------------------
Ricky Davis
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

The TRi-Pod steel has an aluminum neck. Plus the leg sockets look a little strange.Maybe someone can get a real good closeup of the bridge and other parts.It also appears to have a raised fretboard. ED