Nostalgia Deluxe by Hank Williams & Steel Guitarist

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

I was delighted to run across this nostalgic clip by Hank and his steel guitarist. When I lived in Texas Hank was my favorite. The steel guitar playing here is what I like when it comes to country/western. Take a listen

Hank Williams & Non-pedal steel

By the way, who was the steel guitarist?
What kind of steel guitar was it?

Aloha, :)
Don
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

It sounds like Don Helms playing on his Gibson console steel guitar.

That's a great duet that Hank sang with Anita Carter.
Kevin Brown

Hank

Post by Kevin Brown »

The steel playing over the duet is really beautifull, Im presuming its Don Helms but then Im not too good on Hanks history. Interesting steel tone too, sounds like the microphone was about 30 feet away, like the piano on Kettyn Lester's Love Letters, did they have reverb tanks then maybe ? Many thanks Don
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

thanks for ressurecting that nice clip. as a tiny tot I heard Hank and that lap steel all the time. my dad was an avid fan. it made an impression on me because once I grew up and wanted to expand my musical experiences I rediscovered Hank. then I found a lap steel on eBay.
In trying to learn those lap steel licks I found that Hank was quite the songwriter. he had an understanding of the sorrow that humans sometimes go thru.
now I should talk about the sorrow I have in my struggle with lap steel. LOL
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

THAT is the real deal!! Makes todays shallow country artists seem so insignificant.

Don Helms on a Gibson steel guitar.
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Was that George Bush announcing Hank?
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

They all look the same to you huh Gerald? ;)
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

I just watched "Hey good looking" on youtube and was wondering if that was the Opry back up band or was that Don Helms on steel? If'n it wasn't Don, that steel player sure does have his style down good. Great stuff Don, thanks...
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Hank's duet with Anita Carter was super! I have always felt that Anita had more musical talent than anyhone else in the Carter family. She also had some good duets with Hank Snow.

It's great when these oldies are posted!

Dave Clark
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Yes that IS Don,no doubt about it.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

How young June Carter looks introducing her sister Anita.
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Indeed, it is Don Helms with the same 1949 Gibson Console Grande he plays on today. Don told me that was one of 2 performances they had on the Kate Smith show in the spring of 1952 and that those 2 shows are the only video with audio footage he knows of.

You can almost hang on Hank's every word in that performance and Don's tone seems so perfect for the setting. I find the same kind of magic in Hank's duet with Anita Carter. The story goes that Hank took Anita Carter on a date, but Mother Maybelle and the other sisters went along as chaperones. :)
Don Kona Woods

Post by Don Kona Woods »

The story goes that Hank took Anita Carter on a date, but Mother Maybelle and the other sisters went along as chaperones
That Mother Maybelle was a wise woman!!! :lol:

Aloha, :)
Don
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

I'll bet Anita was dirty. :cry:
mickd

Post by mickd »

lovely - wish there was more of that stuff available
Cris Malone

Hank and Don

Post by Cris Malone »

Don was the only Drifting Cowboy that played regularly with Hank During 1952, the band having been disbanded by Hank before his spinal surgery in december, 51. The only other member that played with him at all during this time was Jerry Rivers. I'm curious to know when Don started using a volume pedal. It sounds like his first recordings with Hank may not have had one, but the '52 recordings and the TV appearances that year did. Nevertheless, this was country music at its very best. What a waste of life and talent by dying so young.
Keith DeLong

Hank Wiilliams

Post by Keith DeLong »

It's hard to believe he was so young. You can see the pain in his face, and hear it in his music. Don Helms was a big part of the Hank Williams sound, and also the early years with Ray Price.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I have never really seen Don Helms, but that was certainly his style and sound. I played all that stuff when I was a young guy.
Ed Altrichter

Post by Ed Altrichter »

Bill, if you want to see Don Helms, he will be at the convention in Wisconsin Rapids, WI on St Patrick's Day weekend.
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Don told me that the first time he used a volume pedal on a studio recording was on Hank Williams' "You Win Again" - that recording was made on July 11, 1952.

Hank's TV performances on the Kate Smith Show were on March 26, 1952 (when he sang 'Hey Good Lookin' and one verse of 'I Saw the Light'), and on April 23, 1952 (when Hank sang 'Cold, Cold Heart' and the duet with Anita Carter of 'I Can't Help It'). I never asked him if he used a volume pedal for that show, but I will ask him.

Don Helms will be hosting (for the first time), the Ernest Tubb Midnight Jamboree on February 24. He will be bringing in some great musicians and a 20-year old dynamic young singer from North Carolina, Chris Malpass. If you love Hank Williams' music you need to catch this show - it will be one to remember.