Lap steel posture - preventing back pain - advice needed

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

Lap steel posture - preventing back pain - advice needed

Post by Fred Kinbom »

As a lap steel beginner, I'm starting to realise that my too hunched position over the instrument could cause me serious problems with back pain if I don't do something about it as soon as possible.

The obvious first step is to try and sit with my back in a straight(er) position. Have any of you seasoned steel players out there any simple rules-of-thumb that could help me from slipping back into my bad habit of hunching over the guitar?

Has anyone gone so far as to investing in an ergonomically sensible chair for lap steel playing? I know it may hurt to put money towards something not strictly lap steel related ;), but I'm thinking that preventing back pain could be a worthwhile investment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Fred
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

Just keep catching yourself hunching and straighten up. It'll become habit after a while.

Take lots of breaks. Stretch (back, fingers, wrists, forearms).
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I have terrible back issues, and have taken some pretty intense steps to improve the situation. First of all, I do not play the guitar in my lap, I use a projector stand to raise it up. I also have a console with legs.

I bought a chair that raises and lowers so that I can adjust my position so that I have comfortable arm position and don't have to lean over.

Lastly, don't use a seat that has too much surface area, or too much cushion.

That helped me, hope it helps you!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

John Ely has a very good article about injury prevention on his website.

Steinar
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Ray Montee

Back Pain?

Post by Ray Montee »

Playing steel guitar is not like doing jogging or weight reduction exercises! No pain is required. IN fact, if you're creating pain, you're definitely doing something wrong.

If ever you've visited one of your areas steel guitar jams, you've undoubtedly noticed some of the very poor posture displays that are evident. From practically laying one's head down on the strings to having it severally bent forward at the collar.......... Others STIFF ARM the picking hand while others do likewise to the bar-hand.

Assuming your playing a lap steel, just sit down at an armless, straight-back wooden or metal fold-up chair. If you're short legged, as I am, look for one of those smaller folding chairs, that are described as a YOUTH CHAIR. Works great! Both feet flat on the floor, back squarely up against the back.

Now simply place the guitar on your lap, across the legs. The heavier part of the steel should most likely rest on the top center of your right thigh.

Pick up your right hand and let it lie comfortably across your right thigh and about where the round hole would be found in a flat top, accoustic guitar.

From there, everything else should just naturally fall into place.

Give it a try. If you find yourself tensing up, RELAX! And try it again. As the correct habit forms in your subconscious, you'll find relaxing easier to do and far more comfortable.

Good Luck to you!
Ben Sims

Post by Ben Sims »

Ben Harper has a really laid-back lap steel playing position - he does seem to sit in a short chair, with his knees up a little, back straight:

Or do we need a version of this for lap steelers...?!

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/06/ch ... _game.html
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

It's the bifocals that want to force me into a bent over position. How do you folks with bifocals deal with this?
Lynn Oliver
Image Image Image Image
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

For practicing, I use an office chair on wheels. It adjusts up and down, has no armrests, and has a backrest that's comfortable.

For gigs, I usually bring a keyboard player's gig bench, or sometimes I'll bring a plastic folding chair, if I want the back support. I've also used drum thrones (with and without backs).

It IS easy to hunch down over the guitar, and sometimes I find myself doing that even if I have a backrest. It's just a matter of trying to remain conscious of your position. If your steel's on a stand or has legs, position it high enough that you have to sit up straighter to be in a good playing position.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

I was thinking about putting a mirror on the ceiling . .
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

This has always worked for me. :lol:

Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Ray Montee

sliding off.........?

Post by Ray Montee »

As a short legged guy, unlike my friend Gerald Ross, my wife introduced me to that kitchen shelf, rubber-like material......and she cut me some simple little round thingies..........about the size of a drinking glass. Once placed on your legs, there is NO SLIDING whatsoever!

I can almost stand up before there is any tendency for the g'tar to slide off my lap.
Mark Tomlinson

Post by Mark Tomlinson »

The real answer here is duct tape. Have one of your assistants, or band-mates set you into the chair at the beginning of the set. While you hold your arms up into the air, have them wrap round-and-round with duct tape so you that you are forced to sit with your back flat against the chair.

If you need to leave the stage for any reason, or perhaps there is a fire alarm test during the gig, just stand up and walk out. Wherever you may go after that, at least you'll always have a place to sit down again.

It seems like win-win solution to me.

:lol:
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I bought a drum throne for my playing. it is adjustable and the seat feels good. the swivel is cool for reaching around for amp controls.
with the height right I am sitting upright, knees bent, lap formed.
regular chiars feel higher.
this drum throne packs away tight and is affordable.
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

Recent research indicates that sitting up straight is not necessarily what it's cracked up to be. I am a firm believer in stretching. Buy the oversized paperback called "Stretching" - Shelter Press by Bob Anderson. At $15 it prevents a trip to the chiro. or massage tharapist. We often get fatigued by repetitive motions and long time spent in one position. Take a lesson from athletes. They stretch before, during, and after. It has helped me. This book inclused stretches helpful to hands and wrists too.
Push Pull Emmons: D-10 bolt on; D-12. Fender S-8 & T-8 lapsteels. National Resos and Lapsteels.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

My back is okay but the old rear-end was hurting from so many hours spent working on the computer. Did i really need to spend more time sitting down? I decided to try and stand up while playing music whenever possible. Getting a guitar with legs really helped the posture and also improved my playing.
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Thanks very much for your input folks!

So, in addition to tone bars, picks etc. one now has to add furniture to the long list of lap steel accessories. ;)

I think Ben Harper's posture looks really good - I'll try to find a chair with good support for the lower back.

An instrument with legs is not an option for me as I play acoustic lap slide. Maybe someone will come up with some rustic wooden table-style legs for a Weissenborn? ;)

Thanks again!

Fred
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

Fred...I also struggle with posture both at the piano and steel and had some chronic low back muscle issues which I have had correct with yoga, anti-inflammatories and gym exercise. After a 3 hour piano gig I would wake up the next day seized up. Obviously poor posture was the culprit and I tried everything but one tip I can share is somewhat akin to the tongue-in-cheek duct tape advice. I had an inexpensive Reebok weight belt which I have used at the gym http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reebok-208006-W ... B0006H4P44 Using it while playing helped me stay aware of my posture and not collapse my trunk even though it is difficult not to want bend over when you are really digging into something and concentrating. On the level of therapy for whatever ails you now, you might try taking your instrument to a good physiotherapist and playing for them so they can prescribe a corrective course of action. Yoga has been my salvation but it isn't for everyone I realise. Good luck.
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

William Steward has brought oput some good points.

I highly recommend the services of a good physical therapist or massage therapist BEFORE you have a problem, especially if you are pre-disposed to back problems or have a tendency for poor posture. Bring your instrument in and demonstrate your playing posture to your therapist. Or, some make house calls.

A few bucks worth of prevention is much easier than hurting yourself and/or spending big bucks later. Take care of that bod.

Enjoy your steel(s).